Metabolism problems! Please help

Options

Replies

• ifyanna
    ifyanna Posts: 25
    Options
    Constipation and slow metabolism are 2 big signs of Hypothyroid. I'd suggest seeing your doctor.

:O Oh,! Another poster also suggested that I should get myself checked for thyroid problems! I will! Thanks for the suggestion!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can start by going to this website and putting in your current stats and goals. If you need help let me know.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Sometimes we under eat and stagnate our weight loss, sometimes we dont record our meals properly, sometimes it just takes a little time. If you do not have any health issues, then you should do a little research on what your goals should be. I know there are quite a few Vegans on here, I'm not one of them but you probably need to up your protein.

According to the calculator I should be eating around 1500. I currently eat around a 1000. Thanks for your reply

You may not have a slow metabolism but rather bad eating habits. Eat more, but I have a feeling even 1500 calories is too little. You are moderately active between exercise and your daily lifestyle. Can you post your height, weight and age. We can run some numbers. Also, please make your diary public so we can evaluate.
  • ifyanna
    Options
    Your not eating enough. Your body is in starvation mode. This article is from one of the members here. Read it it's awesome.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

Use the food and exercise diary's and force yourself to you all your calories including the extras you gain from exercising.

How to do come up with this conclusion?

She states she is only eating once or twice a day and mostly very low calorie foods. It's kind of obvious, but I could be wrong. We could all be wrong. It should say eat all of your calories. Sorry. Saying you are in starvation mode does not imply you are killing yourself. That is over dramatic and it's not rubbish. It just means your body is concerned that you are starving so it starts to hoard the calories you take in and not allow you to burn them. I have been doing a lot of research and it has come up again and again. I think this is my problem. I hardly ever ate and kept gaining weight. I am struggling to eat as much as this site suggests but I am doing it to try and restart my metabolism.

I struggle to eat too! Big mistake!
  • beric86
    beric86 Posts: 2
    Options
    You should be eating at least three times a day, and make sure that you are eating more than 1400 calories a day. Lay off the dairy, have prunes, your plates should be something like 25% protien 25% fruit 50% vegetables. If you are eating tops twice a day, and sometimes not at all, then your body is going into survival mode and holding on to all the fat that it can. it sounds rediculous but yes when working out for more than an hour at a time you have to eat more to burn more.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Your not eating enough. Your body is in starvation mode. This article is from one of the members here. Read it it's awesome.

Use the food and exercise diary's and force yourself to you all your calories including the extras you gain from exercising.

She states she is only eating once or twice a day and mostly very low calorie foods. It's kind of obvious, but I could be wrong. We could all be wrong. It should say eat all of your calories. Sorry. Saying you are in starvation mode does not imply you are killing yourself. That is over dramatic and it's not rubbish. It just means your body is concerned that you are starving so it starts to hoard the calories you take in and not allow you to burn them. I have been doing a lot of research and it has come up again and again. I think this is my problem. I hardly ever ate and kept gaining weight. I am struggling to eat as much as this site suggests but I am doing it to try and restart my metabolism.

Then eat higher calorie foods (nuts, avocado, spoonfuls of peanut butter, or cooking in extra virgin olive oil). I eat spoonfuls of peanut butter a lot. I love it.
  • ifyanna
    Options
    You can start by going to this website and putting in your current stats and goals. If you need help let me know.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Sometimes we under eat and stagnate our weight loss, sometimes we dont record our meals properly, sometimes it just takes a little time. If you do not have any health issues, then you should do a little research on what your goals should be. I know there are quite a few Vegans on here, I'm not one of them but you probably need to up your protein.

According to the calculator I should be eating around 1500. I currently eat around a 1000. Thanks for your reply

You may not have a slow metabolism but rather bad eating habits. Eat more, but I have a feeling even 1500 calories is too little. You are moderately active between exercise and your daily lifestyle. Can you post your height, weight and age. We can run some numbers. Also, please make your diary public so we can evaluate.

Thanks for your reply. My height is 5 feet 6 inches, I currently weight 213lbs and I am 21. I have made my diary public now.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You should eat 84 calories every 42 minutes for the perfect metabolic rate.
  • ifyanna
    Options

Then eat higher calorie foods (nuts, avocado, spoonfuls of peanut butter, or cooking in extra virgin olive oil). I eat spoonfuls of peanut butter a lot. I love it.

:wink: Yes, i don't mind the peanut butter!
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I would first thing go to a doctor to see if you need any tests done to rule things out like diabetes, hormonal imbalances, thyroid etc.

After that before anything else, I would work on just eating more often. Having several smaller meals should help stabilize your blood sugar and insulin levels. Then, and only then, I would take a look at what you eat. The cardio work you do should be raising up your appetite to high levels, so it peaked my concern as to why that is not happening- that's where the doc can really be of help and give you some clarity and guidance on this.
  • ifyanna
    Options
    You should be eating at least three times a day, and make sure that you are eating more than 1400 calories a day. Lay off the dairy, have prunes, your plates should be something like 25% protien 25% fruit 50% vegetables. If you are eating tops twice a day, and sometimes not at all, then your body is going into survival mode and holding on to all the fat that it can. it sounds rediculous but yes when working out for more than an hour at a time you have to eat more to burn more.

You are right! I've got it all wrong. Have never had the need to lose weight before so didn't know the right way to do it! Will eat more regularly from tomorrow for sure!
  • ifyanna
    Options
    I would first thing go to a doctor to see if you need any tests done to rule things out like diabetes, hormonal imbalances, thyroid etc.

After that before anything else, I would work on just eating more often. Having several smaller meals should help stabilize your blood sugar and insulin levels. Then, and only then, I would take a look at what you eat. The cardio work you do should be raising up your appetite to high levels, so it peaked my concern as to why that is not happening- that's where the doc can really be of help and give you some clarity and guidance on this.

Thanks david will speak to my doc ASAP!
  • psuLemon
    Options

Thanks for your reply. My height is 5 feet 6 inches, I currently weight 213lbs and I am 21. I have made my diary public now.

Your BMR is around 1793. You are moderately active (lifestyle and exercise), so caloric needs is

= 1793 * 1.55 * .8 =2223

YOu should be eating more around 2200 calories, not 1300 or 1500 based on the math. Why don't you start by trying 1800 calories a day, and then after a month add another 200 calories and repeat the following month.
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Your BMR is around 1793. You are moderately active (lifestyle and exercise), so caloric needs is

= 1793 * 1.55 * .8 =2223

YOu should be eating more around 2200 calories, not 1300 or 1500 based on the math. Why don't you start by trying 1800 calories a day, and then after a month add another 200 calories and repeat the following month.

This seems more like it.......I'm only 4'11" and my BMR is 1507........I set mine at 1522 and eat back my exercise calories, well most of them anyway. I eat something like 1800-2000 calories a day on average. I have been loosing, but slowly, but it's picking up now that I upped my calories.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Be sure to list your exercise as well. It will raise your daily calorie intake on your food goal page. You need to eat your exercise calories as well as your normal daily goal.

I also have problems with hypoglycemia. I will suddenly get weak and shaky and feel like I am going to pass out. This is usually due to low blood sugar. Often happens a while after eating to many carbs. The best way I have found to get rid of that feeling quickly is a tablespoon of peanut butter or a glass of orange juice. Peanut butter seems to work faster though. You should still see your doctor as this can be a sign of diabetes.
  • ifyanna
    Options

= 1793 * 1.55 * .8 =2223

This seems more like it.......I'm only 4'11" and my BMR is 1507........I set mine at 1522 and eat back my exercise calories, well most of them anyway. I eat something like 1800-2000 calories a day on average. I have been loosing, but slowly, but it's picking up now that I upped my calories.

Thanks, my goal is to eat around 1800 today. Will do that for 2 weeks and will see if it helps with the weight loss!
  • ifyanna
    Options
    Be sure to list your exercise as well. It will raise your daily calorie intake on your food goal page. You need to eat your exercise calories as well as your normal daily goal.

I also have problems with hypoglycemia. I will suddenly get weak and shaky and feel like I am going to pass out. This is usually due to low blood sugar. Often happens a while after eating to many carbs. The best way I have found to get rid of that feeling quickly is a tablespoon of peanut butter or a glass of orange juice. Peanut butter seems to work faster though. You should still see your doctor as this can be a sign of diabetes.

Oh, thanks for the tip, I usually have something like lucozade when I am dizzy. Will try peanut butter now! I do have diabetes running in the family, will get checked !
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Eating at a moderate deficit (ie not too much, not too little!) and exercising are the best things I have ever done for myself.
    It sounds as though you could be eating much better to help your body to function well, and seeing a doc seems like a good plan too.
  • ably65
    ably65 Posts: 41
    Options
    I had similar issues after having my daughter. The best advice I can give you is to get your micronutrients tested. Not all MDs know the need to do this test. When I finally went to a MD who ordered it, i found out that I had some severe vitamin deficiencies. When I began to supplemt, I lost 35 pounds very quickly. I still have 45 to lose and it is hard but if I hadn't corrected these imbalances I would never been able to lose any of it.
  • lakrauss
    lakrauss Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Anna -

The most important thing you should do differently is NOT eat only once or twice per day but instead you should be eating smaller, well-balanced meals (low in fat and carbohydrate with adequate protein) every 2-3 hours while you are awake. This will prevent large swings in blood sugar levels which cause metabolic instability. You should also be eating enough that your body doesn't think it is in starvation mode. If you are not taking in enough calories, your body will go into a mode where it dials down your metabolism so that it is conserving energy. Many vegetarians often fail to get enough of all of the essential amino acids necessary for the body to function normally so you need to do some reading to make sure you are meeting your needs for all of the essential amino acids necessary to support a healthy body and metabolism. I am not a vegetarian and so cannot point you to a specific literary source but maybe other vegetarians out there can.

I am adding this comment after reading other replies to you as I agree that you should consult with your doctor, possibly a nutritionist on your doctor's suggestion / Rx and that you would benefit from having your thyroid checked as you could have post-partum hypothyroidism. However, I wouldn't assign blame to failure of the thyroid too quickly or without a blood test as most cases of weight gain or failure to lose weight are NOT due to thyroid conditions.

Tracking your BMR, calories burned and taken in and looking at your nutrient distribution (grams of fat, protein and carbohydrate) may help as well.
  • psuLemon
    Options

= 1793 * 1.55 * .8 =2223

Thanks, my goal is to eat around 1800 today. Will do that for 2 weeks and will see if it helps with the weight loss!

Make it a month. 2 weeks isnt enough for your body to adapt. And expect weight gain the first week.