When do you eat????

Options
Survey::: I'm just wondering are you supposed to eat breakfast before or after exercising in the mornings?

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. Some people find they can't exercise without something in their stomach. Others find that eating before exercise is really uncomfortable. It doesn't really make a difference in terms of fitness or nutrition, whether or not you eat beofre exercise. Just do what is right for you.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference - see what your body likes.
    Personally, I workout after a small cup of coffee in the morning and eat breakfast later at work.
    I would probably get a better workout if I ate first, but I really don't have time to eat and digest before a workout in the morning.
    Experiment and see what works for you.
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Weekdays I eat after, otherwise my tummy would be too full and I would puke. On weekends when I have more time, I like to eat before, then give it an hour or two before I work out. I have more energy if I eat before, but I just don't have that kind of time on weekday.
  • seamadden
    seamadden Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have my breakfast about half an hour to an hour before working out, and afterwards I have a small enough snack with lots of protein :-)
  • 13roots
    13roots Posts: 3
    Options
    Personally, I prefer to have food at least an hour before cardio. Maybe its all in my head, but even if its a banana or a bowl of cereal it makes a big difference to how I feel when I'm in the middle of exercising. There's no hard and fast rule IMO, try both and see how your body reacts.
  • Carp614
    Carp614 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Always before. If I workout in the afternoon, I eat a small snack a few hours before and dinner afterwards.
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I'm told it really doesn't matter, but I find running with food in my stomach makes me feel sick. :( I generally have something light - like a glass of milk or a protein shake before going out, then eat a light meal when I get back.
  • austen770
    austen770 Posts: 1
    Options
    I read somewhere that it is better to eat after you exercise. I always follow that rule. Anyway, after exercising I am always hungry.
    You should try both ways (exercise then eat / eat then exercise) then decide which one works best for you. Keep on Tracking.:flowerforyou:
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I usually have something light when I workout in the morning. Like a banana.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I definitely eat before I workout, for breakfast. For dinner, I workout before I eat!
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I won't eat with less than an hour before working out. So if I wake up early enough I eat, if not, I wait. I prefer to eat first, but not if it will make me cramp up or vomit.
  • VWilson_Momoftwinsplus1
    Options
    I eat before I workout, and I usually do so because I have more energy for a longer workout and I burn more calories. I've also gone without breakfast, but I tap out very quickly.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been eating a few bites of my breakfast before, and then finishing it when I get back.
  • sjschewlakow
    sjschewlakow Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I eat before I workout. at least 1/2 hour before. I have not eaten before working out and it was bad news.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I eat a light snack with a cup of coffee a half hr before working out. Then eat an hr after
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I like to run / workout early in the morning. Usually i'll just grab a glass of water or cup of coffee before heading out the door (I prefer to run on an empty stomach, on race days I'll make sure I can eat 3 hrs or so before the start time for that reason)