Eating Clean... What does this mean?

Options

Replies

• RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    The "definition" varies from person to person - rendering the term meaningless.

Really, do you see a lot of variety in the responses so far?

If you haven't, then you haven't been paying attention.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    The idea that there are lab created substances in food is pretty much a gross overstatement. Pretty much all lab cookin requires natural ingreadients (through the supply chain, all actual inputs are natural ingredients); labs in the food world are called "kitchens".

So IFF, Symrise, Givaudan, Firmenich and all the others are 'kitchens' now eh?
    Novel redefinition of the 'lab' if ever I heard one.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

Instead of insulting my ability to follow a short thread, perhaps you could point out the differences in what people in this thread think "eating clean" is
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Instead of insulting my ability to follow a short thread, perhaps you could point out the differences in what people in this thread think "eating clean" is

May or may nor require "Organic"

May or may not require "Free Range"

No clear definition of "processed" (All food is processed to some extent)

May or may not be frozen

Some consider grains "unclean" , others consider them OK if they're "sprouted"

Flour? No Flour?

etc.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

May or may not be frozen

Flour? No Flour?

etc.

There are different degrees to which it is POSSIBLE to "eat clean" in the year 2012. That doesn't change the very definition of the term.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

May or may not be frozen

Flour? No Flour?

etc.

There are different degrees to which it is POSSIBLE to "eat clean" in the year 2012. That doesn't change the very definition of the term.

Your definition.

There is no common agreement. That's why it's meaningless.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Its washing your food off before you eat it. Be careful of baked goods, they might get too soggy. :laugh:
  • Salvi30
    Salvi30 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    HERE IS HOW YOU EAT CLEAN

Instructions

Eat six small meals a day: breakfast, lunch, dinner and three snacks. Try to eat every few hours to curb hunger and promote a higher metabolism.

Choose whole grains and complex carbohydrates to give you more energy and keep you feeling fuller longer. Remember that whole wheat is not necessarily whole grain. Look for breads, rice and pasta that are not just brown, but also made with 100% whole grains. One serving is about the size of your closed fist.

Sponsored Links
    Official Settlement Site
    Deepwater Horizon Settlements. Official Court-Authorized website.
    www.deepwaterhorizonsettlements.com

Leave calorie-filled, non-nutritional "junk food" at the grocery store. If you buy fresh foods, you will eat fresh foods.

Eat as many fruits and vegetables as you want. Try to add one serving, about a handful, of each per meal. Fruits also make great snacks because they are full of natural sugar and can help fight those afternoon sugar cravings.

Eat lean meats, chicken and fish whenever possible, staying away from processed and fatty meats. This will give you much needed protein with little fat. One serving is about the size of you palm.

Read labels. Look at calorie counts but also look at nutritional value and ingredients. Try to avoid foods with white flour, sugar and sugar substitutes, saturated fats and trans-fats.

Take small bags of unsalted almonds, cashews and walnuts with you to work so you don't get tempted by vending machines and breakroom junk food.

Check internet sites, libraries and bookstores for recipes to keep your new lifestyle fresh and flavorful.

Give yourself a "cheat day" but remember not to go overboard. Allow yourself a meal out with friends or a special food, but try not to undo all your hard work from the rest of the week. Enjoy being healthy!

Read more: How to Eat Clean | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2049770_eat-clean.html#ixzz1wwv54Qa3
  • Elliemage
    Elliemage Posts: 25
    Options
    Personally, eating "clean" to me means generally eating whole, minimally/un-processed foods. I'm vegan, so meat, cheese and eggs are out. I eat fruits, veggies, nuts and legumes mostly. I do eat the occasional pasta, rice, or pitas/flatbread, but that's generally far less frequently than fruits or veggies. If possible I try to buy locally or organically, but as I'm a student and short on cash, this isn't always possible.
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If it was made in a factory then it isn't "clean". Clean typically means unprocessed.

Good luck finding unprocessed foods to eat

and

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

Clean eating is eating whole, natural foods. Fruits, veggies, lean meats, nuts. My rule of thumb is if it has more than 5 ingredients, put it back.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    "Eat food, mostly plants, not too much"

I highly recommend the book "in defense of food" by Michael Pollan It's a great read and I try (key word TRY) to stick to the philosophy of the book. If it has something in it that your grandma can't pronounce or doesn't know what it is, don't eat it, if it has more than 6 ingredients listed on the package, don't eat it.

It's about eating real food not "food products" which is what so many of us do. It can be hard but it is worth it!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    To me it means washing my hands in Dihydrogen Monoxide before I eat my fish sticks.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is if it has more than 5 ingredients, put it back.

I made an omelet this morning with eggs, spinach, broccoli, onion, peppers, mushrooms, cheddar, tomatoes, salt and pepper.

UNKLEEN!
    Obviously the person meant in a nutrion label... sheesh
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

I made an omelet this morning with eggs, spinach, broccoli, onion, peppers, mushrooms, cheddar, tomatoes, salt and pepper.

UNKLEEN!

I see.

So if I make it myself, it's clean. But if I go to TJ's and buy a product with the exact same ingredients, it isn't.
  • MMoriarty2012
    Options

Nice article, thanks for posting the link.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different interpretation. For me, it means eating what nature provides: fish, meat, nuts, eggs, vegetables and fruits - with as little packaging and processing as possible.

^this is my view as well.

I don't panic if I eat something that isn't completely clean though, it just isn't completely practical and cost efficient. if around 75% of the food I eat is whole, fresh foods or at least organic, I feel pretty good about myself.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options

UNKLEEN!

I so agree. She was referring to the nutrition label. And on ignore ya go.
  • tasiam
    tasiam Posts: 3 Member
    Options
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I actually just recently (read: within the last week) came across this Clean Eating blog. www.heandsheeatclean.com it is run by two married couples who describe eating clean as foods that contain 5 or less ingredients when you look at the label.

I made one of the recipes from their site last night (Turkey Meatloaf Muffins) and they're really good. I can't wait to try a few more, especially their protein bars.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    Everyone has a different interpretation
    it usually means
    What it means to me?
    For most people it means..
    The term does "vary".
    Clean-eating means different things to different people.
    To me, it's...
    this is my view as well.

How often would you hear this things when asked to define "tree" or "dog" or "blue"?