Sugar and Carb addication

Options
Do you think you can be addicted to sugar or carbs? It seems like the more of these I eat the more I want. I cant eat just a "serving size". Its not as bad with carbs except popcorn...love it. But sweets is really bad, I have a terrible sweet tooth. Do I have to stop eating sugar and carbs all together?

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it's possible to have an "addiction" to these foods..........certain food combos trigger hormones in your bodies to be released that make us feel good. Specifically, the combo of sweet/salty/fat releases hormones that make you feel good. And that combo is generally found in high carb foods (kettle corn is the PERFECT combo of those! as are lots of candy bars).

I was a super carb "addict" before and, honestly, the way I broke it was going cold turkey for a month. There is that saying that it takes 3 weeks to make or break a habit.......and I personally found that to be true. I actually didn't eat any junk food for almost two months. It took about a month to TOTALLY lose the craving for it. And now that I don't eat like that regularly, when I *do* eat junk food, it actually usually makes me feel pretty yucky.

That's one reason I don't really believe in cheat days.........if your addiction is that bad, you have to break it. If you're addicted to booze or smokes or drugs, no one ever says "ok, you can quit but still allow yourself one serving a week". Nope......either cold turkey, or gradually working your way off is what people suggest, but it's never with the goal of keeping that thing in your life.

One thing that really helped me was changing my entire perspective of food........what I put in my body is fuel. I need to be able to go to an hour spin class or run a 5k and feel good, and a box of Hot Tamales and beer every day IS NOT going to help me do that. When I look at my food intake in that light, it really makes it easier to stay away from bad foods. :)
  • weisegirl1119
    weisegirl1119 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks this makes sense it sucks but makes sense!
    Yes, I think it's possible to have an "addiction" to these foods..........certain food combos trigger hormones in your bodies to be released that make us feel good. Specifically, the combo of sweet/salty/fat releases hormones that make you feel good. And that combo is generally found in high carb foods (kettle corn is the PERFECT combo of those! as are lots of candy bars).

I was a super carb "addict" before and, honestly, the way I broke it was going cold turkey for a month. There is that saying that it takes 3 weeks to make or break a habit.......and I personally found that to be true. I actually didn't eat any junk food for almost two months. It took about a month to TOTALLY lose the craving for it. And now that I don't eat like that regularly, when I *do* eat junk food, it actually usually makes me feel pretty yucky.

That's one reason I don't really believe in cheat days.........if your addiction is that bad, you have to break it. If you're addicted to booze or smokes or drugs, no one ever says "ok, you can quit but still allow yourself one serving a week". Nope......either cold turkey, or gradually working your way off is what people suggest, but it's never with the goal of keeping that thing in your life.

One thing that really helped me was changing my entire perspective of food........what I put in my body is fuel. I need to be able to go to an hour spin class or run a 5k and feel good, and a box of Hot Tamales and beer every day IS NOT going to help me do that. When I look at my food intake in that light, it really makes it easier to stay away from bad foods. :)
    [/quote]
  • weisegirl1119
    weisegirl1119 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    It's psychologically possible to have an addiction to anything. Phsyiologically, there's no such thing.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I too believe that sugar is an addiction. Yes - you can "cure" the cravings by going "cold turkey" - been there - done that. The addiction comes right back when you eat sugar again - not a cure really.

I cannot maintain a zero sugar diet for the rest of my life. Now I don't have diabetes, and I need to lose "just 15 pounds." For me the answer is that I need to LEARN how to deal with my sugar carvings ... easier said than done.
  • nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am. I try to cut down all grains & sugar as much as possible. I went paleo for awhile and did amazing, but I don't want to be paleo forever so I'm trying to learn control and portions.
  • GabrielleZelda
    GabrielleZelda Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I do think that you can be psychologically addicted just about anything - aslong as you are making some type of rewarding association with it.

What does a very high intake of sugar and carbs do for you? Other than satisfy the craving, really, where does the craving come from in the first place? Are you even hungry when you go for processed, high calorie sweets or starches, or is is habit/emotional eating?

I think the important thing to do is to really dig deep and find out why it is you are so strongly attached to these foods. I used to just binge on sweets and bread when I felt sad or bored, without even realizing why I was doing it. Eventually, I realized that what I really wanted had nothing to do with food, but food filled the void!

You need food to live, so you can't exactly stop eating. You COULD stop eating starchy carbs, but not sugar altogether. But you would be absolutely miserable and you know it! Above all else, you need to learn to moderate. You are capable of so much more than what your mind tells you and willpower will get you every where.

Good luck :)
  • MrsAngelique
    MrsAngelique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    :)
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    You COULD stop eating starchy carbs, but not sugar altogether. But you would be absolutely miserable and you know it!

Or you could be ridiculously happy having a normal appetite and control of your eating. And the best part? No getting in touch with my feelings was required and I'm not constantly torturing myself with food. It's such a relief not to have to deal with an insatiable appetite and constant cravings -- that's what makes you miserable. YMMV