question about blood sugar

lawkat
lawkat Posts: 538 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Since losing the weight, I find that it doesn't take much for me to feel my blood sugar level drop if I haven't eaten enough. I try to eat throughout the day and not let myself go too long between meals and snacks. However, if I don't eat enough of a snack, about 2 hours later, I feel sick to my stomach and woozy if I am out and about. I know diabetes runs on the female side of my family, so my chances of getting it are kind of high. With the weight loss, I would figure that my chances wouldn't be as high. I am going to the doctor at the end of the month, so I will see what he says.

Just wondering.

Thanks

Replies

• anglbebe
    anglbebe Posts: 89 Member
    You may want to up your protein intake, and Whole grains. As these help maintain blood sugar. Eat small snacks through out the day, and keep peanut butter crackers handy.

And yes talking to your doc is the best Idea.
    9726172000 Posts: 428
    I am glad you are going to the Dr. to find out. it could be that your body is starting to get use to certain cals. at a certain time and if it doesn't get it then it lets you know. One thing to keep in mind since you do have a family history of diabetes is you might have the start of being hypoglycimic. Ask your Dr. about that. If you can I would print up your food journels everyday until you see your Dr. so that way he/she could see what you are eatting and your Dr. could make a better judgement on or if you should change anything.
  • lawkat
    I eat plenty of protein and whole grains. I also do eat every 2-4 hours, depending on what my day is like. I don't know if it is a combination of warm weather and something else or what. It has happened a few times when I am out running errands (I live in a city, so I do most of them walking). As soon as I get home, I have to eat something to stop feeling sick. I eat a well balanced diet most days, so I am not lacking anything, except sodium. I wonder if it is more a blood pressure thing than blood sugar.

Sorry, just thinking out loud at this point and so my post has become more of a ramble.
  • lawkat
    I mention low blood pressure because whenever I go to the doctor or give blood, it is always around 100/60. When I had a procedure done a few years ago, they were nervous that my blood pressure wouldn't go up. I rarely eat things with sodium and salt on them which I think that is my fear to getting high blood pressure since my brother has it and my father recently had a heart attack to due to poor eating. However, low blood pressure does exist in my family, even those with high cholesterol and diabetes, which often has the doctors baffled.

I will get it figure out.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    100/60 is a pretty good blood pressure reading. 120/80 used to be THE "textbook reading" but now this reading is considered "pre-hypertension"; the upper limit now is 119/79. From 140/90 on it is considered to be hypertension. This is quite a change from when I first started nursing (about the time dinosaurs roamed the earth :laugh: )

Generally people with low blood pressure feel pretty good, but since you are having symptoms that trouble you it's a good idea to have it checked. Are you making sure to stay well hydrated in this heat? :drinker:
  • anglbebe
    anglbebe Posts: 89 Member
    Now you mention that, sounds like dehydration. I too walk everywhere no car. about 3 miles around everyday. Not for fun or exercise either...... And the days I forget my water. I can tell. I feel like that big time, or if I skip a meal. Also keep an eye on your weight gain and loss, when most of your days you feel like this. and read this.... http://primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/weight/scale.htm just the part about dehydration.
    And if that's not it. I would definitely check with your doc....
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Are you preggy? <smile!>

There are alotta reasons why you may be feeling this way, so make sure you get a complete check-up when you go to the doc! As one poster said, print and bring your food/exercise diary with you, so he/she can see what you're doing and make suggestions if necessary.

I have hypothyroidism, and before I was diagnosed, I thought I may be hypoglycemic; it mimics many diseases, ergo it is mis-diagnosed quite often.

I'm praying for you!

Blessings on your journey!

Susie :flowerforyou:
  • lawkat
    I try to get enough water so that I don't get dehydrated. No I am definitely not pregnant. I figure it is probably a combination of different things. I can feel it when my blood sugar level drops and I generally try to eat something shortly thereafter, which helps. I have never been this thin and I don't sleep well, which also can play a part. I know my iron levels are fine since I gave blood last week and the number was well within the normal range.

I will know when he does the blood work.

Thanks for you advice.
This discussion has been closed.