how long do you guys exercise for?

so i just joined the gym just wondering how long are u guys working out for and how many days a week u go?
what's your routines like i was thinking maybe 45 mins off cardio and 20 minz off strength training what do u guys think?

Replies

• Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Bump
  • MeliJean78
    MeliJean78 Posts: 249
    I work out 6 days a week, Wed is my day off. I lift 4 days a week for close to 60 minutes (at the gym). Cardio is also close to 60 minutes which involves 30 day shred and either the elliptical or bike trainer for 35 minutes 5 days a week (at home).

My routine (made some personal modifications) is off bodybuilding.com, there are several to choose from.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    More important than deciding on how long you're going to work out, you need to decide why.

Setting goals will dictate what kind of time on what kind of exercise you need to be doing. I am trying to cut body fat and pack on some muscle/strength. I also have 5K and 10K PR goals. So these dictate how long I do what.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I do 2-3 Cardio Days and 3 strength training days.

My cardio lasts for 30 minutes and my strength is 45 minutes to an hour.
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    More important than deciding on how long you're going to work out, you need to decide why.
    ^^ THIS.

For instance, I'm working on improving strength and endurance as well as rehabbing a large number of injuries, so my schedule likely won't work for others as well as it does for me.

1 day a week = 60 minutes = work on endurance/flexibility/range of motion with PT (usually body weight and/or lower weight/higher reps) at gym.

2 days a week = 45/60 minutes (duration depends on breaks, equipment availability, & if I'm alone or with a partner) = heavy lifting. specifically, the SL 5x5 program at gym

Every day of the week I walk at least 5k. On non gym days I try to increase that to 10K.

That's it. I'm inherently lazy. But also much stronger ;)