Is Dr. Oz a Quack?

Options

Replies

• nomayo
    nomayo Posts: 228
    Options
    I think he used to be a Dr, then he went crazy.

LOL!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself...where does he make his money? Oh, that's right, by advertising crap on his show. And while he may not be Directly paid, his company is.

So? He's a business man too. I give him kudos for branding himself as well as he has and making money.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I think he's totally legit. I mean, he's a doctor on TV!

Um, he really is a doctor.

Dr. Mehmet Oz
    Dr. Oz is vice-chair and professor of surgery at Columbia University. ...

He is a doctor, but he consorts with notorious quacks (Dr. Mercola) and a lot of the information he presents on his show is dubious or misleading - see the article I linked to from Science-Based Medicine. Again, if it quacks like a duck ... I've been in three different university-level graduate programs, and let me tell you, once someone has tenure they are very hard to censure or remove ... for one thing, it reflects poorly on their departments and their own judgement and as a consequence, they tend to protect their own until they become a real liability.

People who should (and likely do) know better and deliberately mislead the public for the money they gain from it are dangerous and unethical. Unfortunately, someone who's powerful enough (like Dr. Oz) can often avoid censure by his peers for years or even decades. Those who aren't familiar with Dr. Mercola's work and the controversies surrounding them can read about him here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Mercola
  • akamatilda
    akamatilda Posts: 19
    Options
    I have been chewing gum like crazy since I read it... think I have lockjaw! I can think of other ways I'd rather have lockjaw :blushing:

What are some other ways you can have lockjaw? I'm curious.

Tetanus from stepping on a rusty nail.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    =/ Because you burn oh so many calories chewing gum...

I don't like the guy. He recommends around 5 types of vitamins, supplements, etc in almost every episode... I mean c'mon... The stuff he has advised is just ridiculous sometimes. I want to throw the tv against the wall he irritates me so much. He gets paid to recommend alot of this stuff.
  • agerena007
    agerena007 Posts: 51
    Options
    I used to say if Dr Oz said it than it must be true, but found out through experience that all he says isnt legit. Dont get me wrong, I would watch his show for "entertainment" and shuffle through some of his advice. I took some "organic" diet pills he claimed works for weight loss, I took them for about a month and absolutely nothing. My aunt was on the same weight loss pills for 3 months and absolutely nothing. Just like any other Dr, he gets paid to solicit products and he gained many peoples trust. Typical man, lol, gain our trust and play us, lmao...
  • SmilinJackBright
    Options
    Probably the simplest way to get lockjaw is to refuse tetanus shots for several years...then actively break your skin on foreign articles...such as stepping on a nail, etc....and all the while don't even think about getting a tetanus shot! LOL!
  • a_stone_girl_dances
    Options
    Yes.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    He is a surgeon. And that's it, as far as I am concerned.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    When he started- he was a breakthrough in discussing things that are hard to talk with your doctor e.g. size and shape of bowel movements and sexual topics and I think he was ethical and honest.

He has now descended to be a quack in order to maintain ratings. The watching audience doe not want to hear that you have to work hard to lose weight and actually eat less. They want to hear that you can stuff yourself and take a magic rasberry ketone pill.
  • bonifachi
    bonifachi Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Quack.
  • bonifachi
    bonifachi Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have been chewing gum like crazy since I read it... think I have lockjaw! I can think of other ways I'd rather have lockjaw :blushing:

What are some other ways you can have lockjaw? I'm curious.

Um...Tetanus!!!
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    What does everyone think about him?
    I've never given it any thought, but I have seen MFP members post things about him.

Today his facebook tip of the day was :
    Sugar free gum can help you in your battle against a slowing metabolism. Not only do you burn calories while chewing, you’ll also be less tempted to fall back on high calorie foods.

he's not a quack. he's a respected heart surgeon from what i understand, but he is a bit too naive about "alternative medicine" and prone to embrace it and their wild claims without much evidence.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I like his show, but I don't agree with somethings he say, but thats me I don't think some of the things he says will work for me. However, I have read about the gum thing before and I can agree with it because I've used gum to get the flavor of something I want to eat when I am not actually hungry or eating the actual food would make me sick because of some of the things in the food. Also I have flavored and scented chapstick that also works for me.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    He sold his soul to Oprah and this is what's left.
    exactly this! lol
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yes. He's a snake oil seller. Quack extreme.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    What does everyone think about him?
    I've never given it any thought, but I have seen MFP members post things about him.

Today his facebook tip of the day was :
    Sugar free gum can help you in your battle against a slowing metabolism. Not only do you burn calories while chewing, you’ll also be less tempted to fall back on high calorie foods.

Fact and only fact I will look at.

Look at him. Does he look healthy? I think so. After that I dunno. He gets paid to have ppl watch his show

Just because he looks healthy doesn't mean he actually is healthy. And there's quite a big chance that he doesn't even try the things he recommends. So I wouldn't even care if he looked healthy or not. IMO. If I watched his show and I was interested in trying something he recommended, I would research a LOT about it before I tried it.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    http://academicsreview.org/2012/10/dr-oz-presents-highly-innacurate-information/

A lot of scientists think so ... just check out the link
  • Rho_Ro
    Rho_Ro Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've done a search on the internet: Mehmet C Oz MD (doctor of medicine), FACS (Fellow, American College of Surgeons)

Dr Oz has been a professor at the Department of Surgery since 2001 and is currently the vice chairman of surgery at Columbia University, He directs the Cardiovascular Institute and Complementary Medicine Program at New York-Presbyterian Hospital., and the founder of the Complementary Medicine Program at New York Presbyterian Hospital. With his collaborators, he has authored over 400 research papers, book chapters, and medical books and has received several patents. He performs around 250 heart operations annually.

Oz is the founder and chairman of HealthCorps, a nonprofit organization that pays a small stipend to recent college graduates to spend two years in high schools mentoring students about health, nutrition, and fitness.

Mehmet C. Oz, MD, FACS

Positions and Appointments
    2001-present Professor of Surgery
    Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, New York, NY
    present Vice-Chairman, Department of Surgery
    Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY
    1993-present Attending Surgeon
    NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY

Clinical Specialties: Minimally invasive heart surgery, Cardiothoracic surgery, Mitral and aortic valve surgery, Adult cardiac transplantation, Mechanical heart assistance and Coronary bypass and aneurysm surgery

Research Interests: Minimally invasive cardiac surgery, Complementary medicine, Healthcare outcomes analysis,
    Heart replacement

I have no doubt Dr M Oz is the real thing judging by everything I've found. Yes, I too get annoyed by all the weight-loss programmes on his show, however as he once explained to one of his doubting audience, he is a Cardiac Surgeon and his life-long intention is to reduce heart disease, especially in women as they have the highest incidence of it. The predominant cause is obesity so I can see that he will do absolutely anything to help us and get us healthy. Is all of his advice correct - I guess no more so than yours or mine would be, but I would guarantee that his heart is behind every single thing he does and advices.