What to do!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

thank you....i have even taken my scale out of the bathroom but find myself getting it and taking it to the bathroom.....i have a problem....im obcessed i wonder if my obcession is hindering my weight loss

While your obsession might not hinder weight loss, you may be developing an unhealthy relationship with the scale. I say this only because if it isn't reading what you want it to after a period of time, then you may decided to give all this up. Start taking measurements once a month. Ultimately, you are trying to become smaller. Due to different shapes and sizes, not everyone will weigh the same at the same height. Focus more on the fact that you are losing inches. Things will fall into place for you.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    What you're doing wrong is weighing yourself every day. Once a week at the most, IMO. I only weigh in on here every couple weeks or so, and I don't really think much about the number... I worry about how I feel!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Whats your height and age as well as workout routine and i can run your numbers.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    POOP! For starters...weigh once a week. Things like salt, what you've consumed, and bodily functions can cause your weight to vary daily. I "weight in" on Sundays. I get up and I do not weigh or eat until I go to the bathroom (number 1 and number 2), then I weigh and log the number. Try weighing yourself, going to the bathroom, and weighing yourself again after. You'll see why I do this my way.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Your problem is that you read the scale every day.

The scale doesn't tell you your weight. It tells you your weight plus your hydration level plus water retention plus the weight of all the food you are still digesting. All sorts of things cause all sorts of wonky things to you scale readings, so you are better off either keeping the long-term view and weighing once a week, or continuing to weight frequently, but calmly and out of scientific interest.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    If you can weigh in at the gym or somewhere else you are semi-regularly, I'd suggest tossing your scale - that's a not so great habit. I used to weigh myself constantly, and it added to my problems. Weight fluctuates depending on what you eat, what time of the month it is (for us ladies), and whether or not we've just exercised, etc.

I've got myself down to once a week, and my new goal is once every two weeks. I do it at the gym, right after a rest day, and before I exercise. It's not even first thing in the morning. I feel so much better now that I'm not obsessing over the numbers.

Best of luck to you! :-)
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Put the scale away and get a tape measure!
    Measure ONCE every 2 weeks, and if you must weigh yourself then.
    Otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy!
  • Daizy426
    Daizy426 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi, I weigh in all the time too, however you said your weight hasn't changed in a year. I was stuck about a month ago and I kept reading about eating more and resetting my metabolism. Being scared to death to up my calories much, I went ahead and did it for a couple of weeks, just by a couple hundred and stopped exercising. Then on a Monday morning, started back to my "norm" and exercising again and it made a difference for me. If you've been stuck for a year, it might not hurt to give it a try : ))
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It's totally fine to weigh yourself every morning...(I do)...but what isn't fine is to let it affect your mental well-being or your overall plan. In fact, I believe it can be beneficial to see that your weight can change drastically in just 24 hours...because those same drastic daily changes are still there in a weekly or monthly weighing. I've seen my weight change +/- 2 pounds in 24 hours and 5 pounds in a week. It would be nonsensical (and unfortunate) for me to change my plan or to think I was not succeeding because I happened to catch a low day one month and a high month the next. You need good, relevant data on which to make adjustments to your approach.

Remember, short-term changes are completely irrelevant and should not affect your plan, regardless of whether or not you weigh daily. Fix your mindset and everything else will more easily fall into place.
  • steamyhott
    steamyhott Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!

thank you....i have even taken my scale out of the bathroom but find myself getting it and taking it to the bathroom.....i have a problem....im obcessed i wonder if my obcession is hindering my weight loss

While your obsession might not hinder weight loss, you may be developing an unhealthy relationship with the scale. I say this only because if it isn't reading what you want it to after a period of time, then you may decided to give all this up. Start taking measurements once a month. Ultimately, you are trying to become smaller. Due to different shapes and sizes, not everyone will weigh the same at the same height. Focus more on the fact that you are losing inches. Things will fall into place for you.
  • steamyhott
    Options
    Here is my advice.

Get off the scale except for once per week.

Yes sir
  • steamyhott
    Options
    I would say watch the sodium and sugar intake. For myself, personally, I try to watch my carbs as well. Sodium could be making you retain a lot of water and not drinking enough water to balance that out will make you bloat. Hope I helped a little....

Thank you!!!
  • steamyhott
    Options
    What you're doing wrong is weighing yourself every day. Once a week at the most, IMO. I only weigh in on here every couple weeks or so, and I don't really think much about the number... I worry about how I feel!

Thank you!!!
  • steamyhott
    Options
    Whats your height and age as well as workout routine and i can run your numbers.

I am 5 1 i weigh 174 i do cardio and lifting....well i dont know the names of the weight machines at the gym......i do the chest fly machine the calves abs biceps and triceps
  • steamyhott
    Options
    Your problem is that you read the scale every day.

The scale doesn't tell you your weight. It tells you your weight plus your hydration level plus water retention plus the weight of all the food you are still digesting. All sorts of things cause all sorts of wonky things to you scale readings, so you are better off either keeping the long-term view and weighing once a week, or continuing to weight frequently, but calmly and out of scientific interest.

Thank you!!!
  • steamyhott
    Options
    If you can weigh in at the gym or somewhere else you are semi-regularly, I'd suggest tossing your scale - that's a not so great habit. I used to weigh myself constantly, and it added to my problems. Weight fluctuates depending on what you eat, what time of the month it is (for us ladies), and whether or not we've just exercised, etc.

I've got myself down to once a week, and my new goal is once every two weeks. I do it at the gym, right after a rest day, and before I exercise. It's not even first thing in the morning. I feel so much better now that I'm not obsessing over the numbers.

Best of luck to you! :-)

Thank you!!!
  • steamyhott
    Options
    Put the scale away and get a tape measure!
    Measure ONCE every 2 weeks, and if you must weigh yourself then.
    Otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy!
    Thank you!!!
  • steamyhott
    Options
    Hi, I weigh in all the time too, however you said your weight hasn't changed in a year. I was stuck about a month ago and I kept reading about eating more and resetting my metabolism. Being scared to death to up my calories much, I went ahead and did it for a couple of weeks, just by a couple hundred and stopped exercising. Then on a Monday morning, started back to my "norm" and exercising again and it made a difference for me. If you've been stuck for a year, it might not hurt to give it a try : ))

I will look into that Thank you!!!
  • steamyhott
    Options
    It's totally fine to weigh yourself every morning...(I do)...but what isn't fine is to let it affect your mental well-being or your overall plan. In fact, I believe it can be beneficial to see that your weight can change drastically in just 24 hours...because those same drastic daily changes are still there in a weekly or monthly weighing. I've seen my weight change +/- 2 pounds in 24 hours and 5 pounds in a week. It would be nonsensical (and unfortunate) for me to change my plan or to think I was not succeeding because I happened to catch a low day one month and a high month the next. You need good, relevant data on which to make adjustments to your approach.

Remember, short-term changes are completely irrelevant and should not affect your plan, regardless of whether or not you weigh daily. Fix your mindset and everything else will more easily fall into place.

Thank you!!!
  • Snotori
    Snotori Posts: 156
    Options
    You did nothing wrong... weight naturally flux. from day to day even if you eat more, less, or the same. Just don't count or add that weight back onto your thinking you weigh the lowest and just wait a couple days cause you will go back down and beat that low number. Don't worry and don't stress over the scale. Just do what you are doing and you will succeed. Cause like, stress, period, and even time of day and how you slept will make that scale dance. You are doing great don't worry about it!