Any college students?

Options
I am just about to finish my freshmen year of college, along with gaining the freshmen 30 (ughhh!). Anyone else in the same boat? How did you manage being stuck with dorm food and the stress of college life?
The only healthy option is the salad bar and spinach salads for every meal get so boring after awhile!

Heading into summer break with the goal to start off sophomore year in September back at my normal weight!

Would love motivation, feel free to add me! :smile:

Replies

• healthyhappygoth
    Options
    Well, not a college student, but about to be a college student come the fall! My plan is to avoid the dining hall as much as possible or, when I'm there, chose vegetarian options when possible. Things like rice cakes and granola bars should keep nicely in the dorm, and frozen fruit or greek yogurts (mmm, chobani) if you have a mini fridge. I'm also going to try to get some of my required readings on CD and then load them onto my iPod and walk around campus while I study. Multitasking is probably going to be the way to go, hahaha.
  • goodbyerachel
    Options
    Well, not a college student, but about to be a college student come the fall! My plan is to avoid the dining hall as much as possible or, when I'm there, chose vegetarian options when possible. Things like rice cakes and granola bars should keep nicely in the dorm, and frozen fruit or greek yogurts (mmm, chobani) if you have a mini fridge. I'm also going to try to get some of my required readings on CD and then load them onto my iPod and walk around campus while I study. Multitasking is probably going to be the way to go, hahaha.

I was just required to have a dining plan so avoiding it would just waste my money. Thats what I did - as a vegetarian there really weren't many options anyways for me so I mostly stuck to the salad bar. It is mostly just being around friends who eat so much junk food and absent mindedly study snacking, I think!
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm going into my senior year of college, and I had transferred last year and after transferring I gained about 20lbs.

I'm here to lose what I put on and hopefully get in better shape than when I got to school last fall :)

Feel free to add me!!
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    Ahhhh yes I am..I am excatly a senior and about 1 1/2 from finishing up:)

I know where your coming from, and it's hard....It's all about portion control, and well fighting the urges and bad foods.
    Exercise, and snacking healthy things was something I adapted,learned, and put into use. It's hard but you can do it....
    I could write you pages on the questions to asked, and you can feel free to send a free request if you like:)
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I am a college student and gained about 20-30 pounds, I guess. I usually make my own food (have my own apartment not in the dorm). But lately my friends and I have been going to the dining hall everyday because we're in the library all day due to finals exams and term papers. I just walk everywhere around here, even if it's 20 minutes to the next class with a 30 minute break. Other than that...Have a smallish breakfast around 9 or so, a larger lunch around noon, an after noon snack and a smallish dinner :) Also feel free to add me for some food inspiration if you'd like.
  • thepiratemd
    Options
    join a sports team or a sports club- you'll meet people who either eat well, and/or you'll at least start burning some more calories.
  • goodbyerachel
    Options
    I am a college student and gained about 20-30 pounds, I guess. I usually make my own food (have my own apartment not in the dorm). But lately my friends and I have been going to the dining hall everyday because we're in the library all day due to finals exams and term papers. I just walk everywhere around here, even if it's 20 minutes to the next class with a 30 minute break. Other than that...Have a smallish breakfast around 9 or so, a larger lunch around noon, an after noon snack and a smallish dinner :) Also feel free to add me for some food inspiration if you'd like.

Yeah, I am getting a house next year instead of the dorms because I hate not being able to cook my own meals and having all the bad foods so accessible!
  • DrKittyCat
    DrKittyCat Posts: 108
    Options
    I just graduated undergrad and now I'm working to lose the weight I gained over the past 4 years. I gained 40-50 lbs, and so far I've lost 11 lbs (in the past 2 weeks!) Feel free to add me :-) It really is nice having time to cook my meals and plan out healthy options.
  • piminuse
    piminuse Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm finishing up my junior year, and I'm super lucky to have my own apartment with my own kitchen. I've been to the student cafeteria and the food looks absolutely gross. Case in point: their General Tso's chicken is just frozen chicken nuggets mixed with honey and soy sauce.

If you ever need a college pal to complain about classes with, or a diary that's homemade vegetarian about half the week, feel free to add me!
  • SLally
    SLally Posts: 33
    Options
    Yep done a year now and finally chose a program! Drink a tonne of water, and like whats been mentioned play in intermurals at lunch time! Buy groceries if you can, lean lunch meat from the grocery store keeps well. Feel free to add me, I could use all the motivation I can get!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    When I was in the dorms I stayed healthy by staying away from the regular hot food lines. I'd make sandwiches, paninis, go for the soup, have cereal. And of course it helps when the gym is a short walk away...just got to go do it!

It should be much easier when you move into an apartment! Just don't fall into the trap of having the oh so convenient mac and cheese for dinner every night ;) There's also the drinking thing. A few drinks a week can add up! I save those for special occasions only.