Do you eat breakfast before or after your workout?

Options
cyntia
cyntia Posts: 24 Member
Just wondering like today was my first day getting back in the game of working out and I didn't eat any breakfast. My stomach feels fine for now but I know i can't do that for long because Im basically running on the treadmill for 30 minutes than 15 minutes on weights so I want to do whats best so question is what do you think is best to eat before or after you workout?

Replies

• aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Well i eat after a workout,eating before makes me sick during my workout,i workout early in the morning.
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Both. My friend sent an article about this. I will try to find it and post but basically you should eat something small (1/2 banana or yogurt, etc.) 15-30 min before and then be sure to eat something else within 30 minutes of completing your work out. I'll post the link when I find the article.
  • new_Kendra
    Options
    You have to do what works best for you. Your body will let you know what it needs! What works best for me is to eat SOMETHING (maybe a piece of fruit or fat free yogurt) 15 - 20 minutes before my work out and lowfat cereal with skim milk and no sugar or plain oatmeal within 30 minutes of completing my workout. I have always heard that you should eat within one hour of waking to start up your metabolism.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I agree with hunibun. You need to do what works for you. I can't run on a full stomach and I like to run early in the morning or it won't happen. So I eat half a banana before and then when I get home I have breakfast. For me that's usually an egg and a piece of whole grain bread toasted.

Some eat breakfast then wait before they exercise. That just does not work for me. Do what works best for your body.
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    This isn't the exact article but it's the same info:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/HQ00594_D
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    BOTH! at least 100 calories before work out and something with protein after!
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    bump
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I work out at 5:00 a.m. and I eat a big breakfast right after I get home :wink:
  • hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Both. My friend sent an article about this. I will try to find it and post but basically you should eat something small (1/2 banana or yogurt, etc.) 15-30 min before and then be sure to eat something else within 30 minutes of completing your work out. I'll post the link when I find the article.

I would like to read that article. I do know that in Mari Windsor's Pilates program she says something quite similar. Eat fruit within one hour of waking and 15 minutes before you workout, then have breakfast 30 minutes after your workout. That was a good program, why did I ever stop it????......:ohwell: