Turmeric - Miracle Spice?

Options
Wecandothis
Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
Turmeric is the bright yellow spice that gives mustard it's color and curry some of it's flavor. It has been used in Asian cooking for thousands of years.

Antiseptic, antioxident, anti-Bacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer - it's chock full of goodness!

Researchers are investigating its possible benefits in Alzheimer's disease, cancer (Particularly melanoma and prostrate, and breast), diabetes, and liver disorders.

It's kind of a bland spice, but makes everything you add it too a bright cheery yellow!!!

A very good balanced article from the University of Maryland that mentions MANY benefits and how and how much to eat:

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/turmeric-000277.htm

I've used Turmeric in stir-fry, chili, and on rice dishes. You don't have to use it just with curry.

Replies

• hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    its an awesome spice just dont drop some on the kitchen floor esp if its white...lol i didnt notice that i had spilled some by the sink then the floor got wet...lol dyed the floor yellow :explode:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    ya... I should have mentioned that they use it as a dye too. :)

AND have you ever seen the pictures of a wedding in India where the bride's skin is this beautiful golden color??? That's Turmeric!

It's also used as a skin cleanser. No kidding. This stuff does everything.
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    lol sheesh they should put a warning on the spice shaker :laugh: .... ive been using it for years in my cooking but.......i am a very clean cooker lol....i hate messy kitchens while im cooking so i clean as i go and my little 3 yr old was wrapping around my legs sooooo to say the least i wasnt being to cleanly :sad: :sad:
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Dr. Weil by Origin's has a lip balm that has Tumeric in it. I love it and use it every night! I thought it was weird that they put it in lip balm but now I know why!!