PROTEIN shakes: Yay or Nay?

Options
Dear readers and fellow MFPs,

I have started running on a daily basis ( about 10-15 min so far as staring out) but eventually I want to be doing 30 without stopping!
I wondered if any of you runners drink protein shakes after the run? Is it necessary to drink it? If you do drink them, do you recommend any brand names please? If you know any good brands esp the ones that ship internationally, please share you secrets with me!

Eternally grateful,

Fat fighter

xoxo

Replies

• jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I always make one after a run. Sometimes it's as simple as chocolate whey protein powder and almond milk. Other times I will use vanilla whey, fruit and greek yogurt.
  • uk_angeldust
    uk_angeldust Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That is an awesome tip! Might try that! :) ty!
  • uk_angeldust
    Options
    This may sound like a really dumb question - but do you think a fruit smoothie is a good alternative to a protein shake after a run? ty! :)
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You can add vanilla whey to your smoothies to make them just as protein enriched. The whole point of the protein shake is to give your muscles exactly what they need to become stronger, if you eat fatty or simple-carb-filled foods after working out, you will not see results as fast (as far as I've experienced). It's all about feeding your muscles correctly :)
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I drink Rockin' Refuel after a run & EAS AdvantEdge Cafe Caramel & Chocolate Fudge after heavy lifting.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes I say Yay, Everyday! I like ON Gold Standard Whey all natural and I like Syntrax Nectar but there are many brands that are good.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    After any workout, I definitely try to get in some protein.

Some times its protein powder sometimes its through real food. Depends on what my time restraints are.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I take my Vega One chocolate powder and mix it with lots of frozen fruit. It's almost the same texture as ice cream, so I figure I'm getting my "ice cream fix" (not really, but you know what I mean) and it's a heck of a lot better for me than ice cream.

I can't exactly remember the ingredients, I don't think it's a true protein shake, but it works for me.

L.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You don't need that much protein after a run. The ideal recovery drink is a 4:1 ratio of carbs:protein. A smoothie made in that ratio would work great!
  • uk_angeldust
    Options
    Thank you all SO MUCH for all the suggestions and tips! I will defo google all the brands you suggested! ty!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    No, fruit smoothies and protein shakes are very different as far as nutrional content and serve different purposes. Most fruit smoothies really aren't all that good for you because they have tons of added sugars in the juices and sherbets. If you make your own fruit smoothie with fresh or frozen fruit (no sugar added like canned fruits), sugar-greek yogurt/greek yogurt and milk, you can make a yummy treat that isn't too bad. Fruit smoothies really should be more like a snack or treat though.

A protein shake is to replace important protein stores depleted after an intense workout. Weight lifters usually take protein shakes, but it's not so common for runners. Protein shakes also can be very high in calories and have lots of added fillers and artificial flavors, so it is important to read labels. If you make your own with whey , soy or some other kind of protein, it is also important to read those labels because they can have lots of unnecessary artificial ingredients as well.

Since you are just starting running and running for such short periods, I would say no, you don't need a protein shake at all. If you otherwise don't get a lot of protein, you can have one occasionally to supplement, but it sholdn't be an everyday thing at all. On average you probably burn 100 calories in 10-15 minutes of running, and when most protein shakes are upwards of 300 calories, it's not going to balance out, you do the math. On the other hand, if you are a dessert person, a chocolatey peanut buttery protein shake could be a nice dessert alternative on occasion.
  • SergeiKay
    SergeiKay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    No, fruit smoothies and protein shakes are very different as far as nutrional content and serve different purposes.

Absolutely agree, these are completely different. Protein shakes are just that - protein, fruits are mostly sugars, simple carbs, these will give you quick energy recovery after a run.

Protein shakes are not some special drug people drink. It is a food supplement that helps people reach their protein intake while not adding fats and carbs (for the most part). In my opinion, it would be more beneficial to look at the food you eat through the day, using MFP, and figure out if you actually need the additional protein, based on your goals. For example, i'm gaining muscle mass, so i need a crap load of protein to help my body grow and stay lean.

Personally, i found that Optimum Nutrition's whey proteins taste the best. ON's Gold Standard 100% Whey - Chocolate is probably my top choice, good quality protein and good taste.
  • FrostyBev
    FrostyBev Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I second Optimum Nutrition - Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein - Double Rich Chocolate as a good choice. Great flavor! I get my supplements from www.bodybuilding.com as its quick and cheaper in my experience. Great articles in their forums as well.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I will normally only drink a carb replacement drink (4:1 carb to protein ratio) after a really hard workout or a lifting session. Choc milk does the trick for a fraction of the cost.

Most people get enough protein in their normal diet.
  • uk_angeldust
    Options
    thank you all so MUCH! I learned a whole load of stuff! TY! :)