Soy protein powder?

Options
Opinions? I have heard so many mixed reviews about it. I am a vegetarian and with the amount of exercise I do I want to be able to have enough protein to gain muscle, but would rather not use a dairy based powder.

Replies

• RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Opinions? I have heard so many mixed reviews about it. I am a vegetarian and with the amount of exercise I do I want to be able to have enough protein to gain muscle, but would rather not use a dairy based powder.

Soy is not the demon that some make it out to be, but it is inferior to dairy-based protein in terms of bioavailability.

If you're a strict vegan, soy is fine. Otherwise go with whey, casein, or egg-white protein (if your diet allows it).
  • goodbyerachel
    Options

Soy is not the demon that some make it out to be, but it is inferior to dairy-based protein in terms of bioavailability.

If you're a strict vegan, soy is fine. Otherwise go with whey, casein, or egg-white protein (if your diet allows it).

Thanks! I've taken whey protein but I am really sensitive to dairy but every nutrition store I have been to seem really against soy products.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Soy and the thyroid:
    http://thyroid.about.com/cs/soyinfo/a/soy.htm

Plus other reasons.

Yes, soy contains lots of great nutritional value...but we get massive amounts of it in our diet these days (it's in breads cereals....don't make me keep on going it would be a giant paragraph).
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Real food is the best option if you can manage it in your daily diet. You need protein but you don't need ungodly amounts unless you are in some sort of elite training or body building.
  • tammisr32
    tammisr32 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have been told that Whey protien powder is easier to digest and break down. I was also told from the Dietician at the hospital I work at that if there is a history of breast cancer in your family that soy is something to avoid. Hope that helps? :blushing: