What are some high-sodium foods that surprised you?

Options

Replies

• fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    salmon
    shrimp
    cheese (especially mozarella and feta)
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Pickles:noway:
  • Pkiddy
    Pkiddy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Ketchup. Who knew!?
  • DrJackson6
    DrJackson6 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, go figure.
  • HeealthyMee
    HeealthyMee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Ahhh sodium, the bane of my existence. It eventually finds me no matter how healthy I try to eat each day... hides in nearly everything!
  • sherronh
    sherronh Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    the crazy amount of sodium in dishes at restaurants. Especially in the apple bees under 500 calorie meals!
  • sherronh
    sherronh Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    so true
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    This post makes me want to cry. :sad:

I am not driven to low sodium for health reasons (that I know of any way), but rather the fact that I seem to retain water when my sodium is high. This is regardless of how much water I drink.

I'm trying to find low sodium foods to fill my diary with but man it's heck! :ohwell:
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese. Actually all cheese, holy crap. Sodium has been the most interesting thing to track in my diary. so far (haven't been doing this long) I don't have trouble staying under 2500mg, but it's still crazy how it can add up. Makes me shudder now to think of what I was packing in before I started counting.
  • DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese for sure.

^^^THIS!!!
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    The hot chocolate I had this afternoon had over 500mg of sodium in it. That shocked me! That combined with the insane amount in the tomato sauce I used put me way over for the day. I knew I had the calories for the cocoa, I didn't think to check for anything else.
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If your store carries Friendship brand they have a 1% low fat, no salt added. I love it. And after eating this for years, I can't eat other brands - all I can taste is the salt in them.
  • DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Lunch meat and Cottage cheese! I have had to learn to only use 1/2 a serving of lunch meat for my sammies....but a 1/2 serving of cottage cheese will not do! That only gives a 1/4 cup! LOL! :tongue:
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Canned soups still floor me. I miss my tomato soup!

YEP!
  • Sonnie124
    Sonnie124 Posts: 99
    Options
    Franks Red Hot Buffalo Sauce
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Franks Red Hot Buffalo Sauce

Not Franks! I put that ish on everything! :sad:
  • cholibear
    cholibear Posts: 86
    Options
    RICE (spanish, yellow..basically anything but white and brown)
    ugh such a disappointment
  • DanTTX
    DanTTX Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese. Actually all cheese, holy crap. Sodium has been the most interesting thing to track in my diary. so far (haven't been doing this long) I don't have trouble staying under 2500mg, but it's still crazy how it can add up. Makes me shudder now to think of what I was packing in before I started counting.

Exactly.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese for sure.

^^^THIS!!!

ya...this...just doesnt make sense to me somehow
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Canned soups still floor me. I miss my tomato soup!
    Oh, I forgot to mention this - there's an organic brand at Kroger called Health Valley that carries soups REALLY low in sodium. Like, around or under 100mg for the entire can. They have tomato too!

Seriously hate low sodium/light soup. Pretty much has no flavor to it :( I tried Light Progresso Chicken Noodle and I thought it was water and noodles w/ vegetables. Pretty gross.

I am bad. I just add my on salt at home. And chile flakes. Considering the average soup has like 1000mg of sodium. My 2 dashes isn't really contributing much to my sodium intake. (I restrict because I should, no health problems). Around 80% of all of our sodium comes from processed stuff, so I try to purchase a little salt as possible and add my own as needed.

It is a shame about soy sauce. Because I like to use a few tablespoons. And crystal hot sauce.