Keeping protein down

Options
I'm logging all my food, way below on carbs, calories and fat but can't seem to keep the protein down. How much of a difference will it make if my protein is 6 or 7 gr over??

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    MFP has a very low protein limit, i go over everyday somtimes by 30 or 40 and I am still doing fine ;-0
  • Mommareed4
    Mommareed4 Posts: 144
    Options
    it is good to be over on protein..MFP has it setting pretty low on that category...I aim to get 150 or above.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    don't limit your protein
  • cathylord
    cathylord Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be over on something, let it be protein. You are doing fine with the amount you are over, I think.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I'll trade you. What are you doing to keep it over limit? I need to increase my protein.
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    1g of protein per pound of LBM :)
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I like to keep mine between 100 and 125. It's way to low on here!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I eat about 200g of protein a day. I have yet to die.
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    It is not good to be over on protein. Unless you are a body-builder, you only need about .04 gram per pound of body weight. More than that converts to fat. I have my daily intake set at 15% and rarely go over. And before anyone says "Gasp!", I am extremely active, run, weight train, and have a super busy lifestyle. Read up on it for yourself.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Protein is a MINIMUM goal, not a maximum

(don't let the red numbers fool you when you go over, you need protein)
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this, i have way over my limit just in my before and after workout shakes lol
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    o yeah just rember if you eat a lot of protein to make sure you get your fiber
  • katnic898
    katnic898 Posts: 5
    Options
    The more I exercise the more protein I need to recover. I always go way over the protein limit on recovery days to help rebuild my muscles.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Protein helps you feel full and takes more energy to digest - it's beneficial to aim for a higher percentage of protein.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a kidney issue and doctor's instructions to limit it, the MFP goal is very low. if you adjust your macros to 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein, it seems to be a more realistic range.

And @secretlobster is right. Consider it a minimum suggestion. Like a speed limit. :wink:
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options

same here, still alive and kicking
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    don't limit your protein

Absolutely correct
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    It is not good to be over on protein. Unless you are a body-builder, you only need about .04 gram per pound of body weight. More than that converts to fat. I have my daily intake set at 15% and rarely go over. And before anyone says "Gasp!", I am extremely active, run, weight train, and have a super busy lifestyle. Read up on it for yourself.

.04 gram per pound for me at 150 pounds is only 6 grams of protein per day. That doesn't match anything I've read as suggested protein consumption.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I eat about 150 g of protein daily and pretty sure the excess hasn't turned to fat!
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Dietary protein never converts to fat.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excess-protein-and-fat-storage-qa.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html