Any Advice?

Options
I've been having trouble as of late trying to balance my diet and exercise with my depression. I kind of thought that eating right and getting shape would improve my overall mood. It does, when i'm at the gym. But before and after, i'm an emotional wreck. Could the caloric intake be affecting how i'm feeling? I'm so confused. and i'm not overly stressed or upset in my daily life, i work full time, on a break from school, have an amazing boyfriend and a wonderful family. Any thoughts?

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    You should maybe talk to your doctor. Some supplements like Vitamin D help with mood. Not sure how much it will help if the symptoms are extreme. That could be something your MD could help you with.

You may be putting too much pressure on yourself to lose weight. Remember that you did not gain it overnight and you will not lose it overnight. It is a long process so best to just take it easy with it.
  • SLally
    SLally Posts: 33
    Options
    I agree with whats been already shared. Talk to your doctor, hitting the gym can be tough somedays but underneath that lack of motivation should be excitement on improving your overall health. Keep at er!
  • danihardy298
    Options
    Thanks for your help! I've actually been speaking to a few other people about it and have decided that yes, it is time to go in to see my doc. I've been on meds for my depression for a long time, and it seems to me that its time to get them adjusted again. But i definitely don't want to give up on the work i've been putting into my body!
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    See your doc.

Take a vitamin D supplement, every day. Get out in the sunshine for at least a few minutes every day if you can, without sunscreen, to get some natural vitamin D as well. You can also try a B complex, as that will help with energy which in turn will help with your mood. Keep your protein up and your refined sugars low. Exercise, but don't overdo it. I know that personally when I'm working out to exhaustion, it really screws my mood, but if I just do light cardio and some bodyweight exercises, it keeps depression at bay. Try to eat as many whole foods as possible. Avoid food dyes. Get plenty of sleep at night, and if you're having trouble sleeping, look into a natural sleep aid such as melatonin, chamomile tea, or Hyland's Insomnia tablets to help you relax. Drink plenty of water, and try to limit caffeine to avoid an afternoon crash. You don't have to cut it out, but don't go overboard with it.

And definitely see your doc. Why don't you make a note to call tomorrow morning and make an appointment?