Home Hair Dye Help!

Options
mlewon
mlewon Posts: 343 Member
Hey guys!

I've been thinking about going a bit more blonde for the summer, and I've gotten it done at a salon but I've never done it at home before!

I have medium to dark brown thick, wavy/curly hair with some natural highlights. I haven't dyed it since last year.

Does anyone have any good products they recommend? Highlight kits, all-over dyes, etc.?

Replies

• LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I think going blond should be left to the professionals. Put down the box and get thee to a salon!
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I think going blond should be left to the professionals. Put down the box and get thee to a salon!

QFT
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I concur. If you're going a shade or two, like me, it's safe at home, but more than that and you can end up with some bad results.

Some things are worth paying for. This is one.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

^ agreed

i go darker at home but i wouldn't go lighter... it could turn orange or brassy
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    From someone who's been blonde to dark brown to orangey bleached blonde (at home), then brown again (at home) because the bleaching was a disaster, then several trips to the salon to get it back to blonde again...GO TO A PROFESSIONAL. Trust me, although it may be more expensive, it'll be worth it :smile:

Also, going from medium-dark brown to blonde probs isn't the best option for your first home hair-dyeing experience (that was my first big mistake when I went brown) because it is such a big leap. Your hair will also thank you by being in better condition with the TLC your hairdresser provides during your dyeing session :smile:
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    You'll need to bleach your hair before dying it, and it's very difficult to get good results at home unless you are a professional. I agree with all the others here, go to a professional to go lighter.
  • mlewon
    Options
    Oh, no I've done a ton of home-dye before!

I've just never done blonde. I've done everything from fine engine red to dark blue to electric pink and my hair has always responded well to bleach, but I don't want to have white-blonde hair.

I might just go get highlights when I save up. At the moment, it's a little out of my price range, that's why I was curious about what people use at home.
  • lnss1
    lnss1 Posts: 3
    Options

^THIS!!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, go to a pro. If your hair is dark, you will need to get bleach, and the colorist will know how much time to leave it in your hair, I have black hair, and it took my stylist 3 times to get the fixer strength right.

Everybody's hair is different, she said that most people will take between10-15 in the bleach, my hair needs 30.

I too have colored my hair before, burgandy, red, chestnut, I even tried hot pink...that came out all kinds of wrong
  • mlewon
    Options
    I've never had trouble with other colors, that's why I figured I would ask to see if anyone else does home dye.

Hm. Thanks for all the responses ladies!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    PLEASE! BE NICE TO YOUR HAIR!

PROFESSIONAL! :bigsmile:
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Oh, no I've done a ton of home-dye before!

I've just never done blonde. I've done everything from fine engine red to dark blue to electric pink and my hair has always responded well to bleach, but I don't want to have white-blonde hair.

I might just go get highlights when I save up. At the moment, it's a little out of my price range, that's why I was curious about what people use at home.

I have too. I've done pretty much every color under the sun myself and I have stripped my hair of black and red too. I do it all except blonde. There is a big learning curve with blonde that is faaaar different from other colors.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Don't go all blonde right away if you're not sure....do highlights...less risky...but yeah, get someone professional if you're going ALL blonde....
  • RobinShay
    RobinShay Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Goto a pro for blonde!!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I do my own.

I do agree to go to a professional though. Unless you really plan to research what you are doing.

I did A LOT of research before I started doing my own. There is A LOT to learn about going from dark to light. I got it down pat now.

But it was a lot of trial and error.

PS Weather you are going to use a darker or a lighter color NEVER USE BOX DYES. (like you get from a drug store) They are filled with crap that is horrible for you. Go to Sally's and buy everything you need. It isn't anymore expensive at all.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Also if you still want to try on your own, get a purple shampoo.

It helps with the orange tones and brassiness.
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I used to do hair. Take it from me, you want to let a professional do it. I can't tell you how many times I had someone come in to have me fix their hair.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I've been coloring my hair forever, from reds to blacks...my natural color is black. I'm going blonde myself but I'm going to a professional. I'm pretty brave but I also like having hair on my head and I know the bleaching process is really harsh on my hair and I want to make sure I still have hair when I'm done :laugh:
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Also if you still want to try on your own, get a purple shampoo.

It helps with the orange tones and brassiness.

I've left the purple shampoo in my hair a little too long a few times...my hair turned pink. :laugh:
    (I'm currently blonde)
  • WillPowerYes
    WillPowerYes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you decide to do home bleaching, even streaks, have a backup plan in case something goes wrong during the "learning curve".

Signed, did my own streaks for years. (Yes, I had a mess once from not being "neat" enough on how I applied the bleach.)