Any overnighters or night owls around?

Options
ssilvey726
ssilvey726 Posts: 107 Member
Hi, I'm Scott.

I've been lurking on the message boards for a few weeks and figured I'd introduce myself and try to make some friends.
I'm an overnight editor in the Public Relations industry, so while this may be about dinnertime for most folks on the site, I'm just waking up. I was hoping to make some friends that maybe work the overnight, or are night owls.

It's fairly difficult to get into the mindset of eating breakfast at 5 pm, and having dinner at 4:30 am, but that's what I'm finally getting adjusted to.

My highest weight was 285, but several years ago, while trying to impress a girl that I liked, I lost a ton of weight and went all the way down to 175. I think it was far too much for me. I wasn't eating nearly enough. While in college, I went to school at 8 am, then worked until 11 pm every night, which promoted some absolutely atrocious eating habits, and I ballooned back up to 240.

My goal now is to get to a healthy and manageable weight of 195. I feel much more ready to handle the "success" of being healthy this time. My food diary here is helping me keep accountable of all my actions, and now I know exactly how many calories I'll need to remain at 195.

I've based my diet off Nutrisystem, which was the diet that was so successful for me last time. This time I'm buying the food myself instead of paying $300+ a month. I'm leaving my food diary public if people are interested, but it's nothing special. Mostly just about portion control, eating smaller portions more often, and moderate exercise. Who knew it could be so simple?

My average intake is at just about 1,600 calories a day, which is exactly what this site says I need to lose two pounds a week. Some days are a struggle, and I go out to eat at least once a week. But it's making the right decisions while out that help you feel like the diet isn't so suffocating. It's important to still be able to live your life, and not let the diet control you.

I've lost 11 pounds in 25 days so far. I know it won't always be this easy. The first few pounds are always the easiest to lose. But I'm here for the long haul.

Anyway, sorry for the novel-length post. If anything I said strikes a chord with you, add me, I'm here to support others who are on a similar journey.

Replies

• angelraguel
    angelraguel Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    im a night owl, last night i was up till 3am but i do not work nights. im just naughty lol!! however i must try and get into better sleeping habits as when i stay up late it rly does affect my weightloss. not quite sure how or why it just does lol
  • ssilvey726
    ssilvey726 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight before, I did it on a normal daily schedule. Wake up at 9ish, in bed by midnight. This is definitely more difficult to maintain. But being at work, there's not much I can do to cheat anyway, unless I bring in a lot of bad food.

Also, bump for great justice! (and for hopefully more people still awake at this time of night)
  • christicake
    christicake Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm up at weird times. Sometimes I wake up at 4am or am still up at 3am. I am a weird one. So yeah!
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    I am a nightshifter
    I am at work now
    Go to the Official nightshift thread and will meet lots of other nightshifters

:bigsmile: :heart: :bigsmile: :heart:
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I am a nightshifter
    I am at work now

yea what Lisa said
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I am a nightshifter
    I am at work now

yea what Lisa said

I third what they said! It's an awesome thread!
  • midnight333
    midnight333 Posts: 149
    Options
    Retired nightshifter my eating schedule is weird, it starts at 0400 and ends at 0200.
  • spunkfish
    spunkfish Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Retired nightshifter my eating schedule is weird, it starts at 0400 and ends at 0200.

oh my goodness..what a cute kitty in your picture!
  • midnight333
    midnight333 Posts: 149
    Options
    Thank you lots, he was overweight too.
  • ladyace15
    ladyace15 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am a night owl, which in my case (having two sons and a husband to wake and feed) really isn't the best idea! I can't seem to shake it though, so here I am 2:43am on the east coast and wide awake :noway: I am also on a weight loss journey, that I have absolute faith in accomplishing!!! The people on MFP have been very helpful and have motivated me to want and do better! I try to give the same in return, because everyone deserves a helping hand! Feel free to add me :happy:
  • denisebme
    denisebme Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a night owl. I'm a self employed political and non-profit consultant, and just find it easier to get work done when the phone isn't ringing.
    My strange hours and some physical limitations definitely make exercise a challenge, but I'm motivated!
    Last year, I lost 30 pounds using Alli and and a strict low fat diet. I quit smoking in December, and gained it all back and then some. It's so frustrating! This time around I decided I was going to do this eating real food, and increasing the amount of exercise in my life. It's day 2, so I'm definitely a work in progress!

The hardest part of this, for me, is that I so love to cook. It's what I do for relaxation. My challenge is to learn to cook and stay within the calorie limitations, which is surprisingly easier than I thought it would be.

Good luck on your journey!

Denise
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I am a night owl, which in my case (having two sons and a husband to wake and feed) really isn't the best idea! I can't seem to shake it though, so here I am 2:43am on the east coast and wide awake :noway: I am also on a weight loss journey, that I have absolute faith in accomplishing!!! The people on MFP have been very helpful and have motivated me to want and do better! I try to give the same in return, because everyone deserves a helping hand! Feel free to add me :happy:

what a great attitude, Good for you
  • tremilla
    tremilla Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've been working overnight for four years now. My biggest issue is working my diet around my schedule. my work days and off days are completely different. I've learned to eat light meals or just snacks at work and save my meals for the day/evening time when I'm most active. My isues begin at breakfast because I must eat something or my hunger pains will wake me up out of my sleep. However that causes me to eat, then sleep go to sleep. I also realized by sleeping during the day, I either skip lunch or dinner. These inconsistencies has caused me to under eat and my weight to stagnate (plateau) I wish someone could come up with a solution specifically for us night owls.
  • ladyace15
    ladyace15 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

what a great attitude, Good for you

Thank you so very much :-) I'm a work in progress, but I've also learned that I'm worth it! We are ALL worth it! :happy:
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I work nights, 3 12 hour shifts from 7p-7a...my day begins at midnight ...My meals at night may be a bit different cause I had gastric bypass 2 months ago, but you will get the idea.

around 1 am- breakfast, usually a soup or yogurt or sugar free pudding with a scoop of protein powder

around 3-4 am: a small meal with protein, usually a ground meat, and blck beans (chicken, pork, beef, more often now though its fish)

around 7 usually a protein shake with 0.5 cup skim and 1 scoop powder (143 cals, 24 grams protein) this way I go home, I am not hungry, I sleep, wake up and get ready for work, once here after 7 pm, I usually have a light snack, before my day starts again,

The days I have off, I just resume a normal schedule. I worried that being a night shifter and having surgery would screw me up, but I actualy have a good pattern down.

Mary
  • Shanfoxx
    Shanfoxx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm an overnighter 3 nights a week. I'm a nurse and work 12 hr shifts. 2 on 3 off. I'm trying to figure out a eating and workout schedule with this schedule.
  • ksizzle911
    ksizzle911 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yea for nigh shifters!!! I work 10:30pm-6:30am as a 911 Dispatcher. I don't mind sleeping and eating different than everyone else. Most of my friends get a kick out of it when I talk to them at 3pm and am eating breakfast. =) They really do find it funny. That's usually when I wake up in the afternoons. Feel free to check out my profile and add me as a friend if you'd like. I'm looking for some new friends on here too since I've lost quite a few recently. Good luck to you!!
  • tremilla
    tremilla Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm an overnighter 3 nights a week. I'm a nurse and work 12 hr shifts. 2 on 3 off. I'm trying to figure out a eating and workout schedule with this schedule.

I'm an overnight nurse as well. I work 8hrs/5 days a week. I eat light at work (shake, fruit, yogurt, etc.). I go home and have a light breakfast before bed. I sleep during the day, have lunch when I wake, exercise in the evening, and dinner after that. You just have to work around YOUR schedule. We have to remember that we're not the same as everyone else and have to create lifestyles and habits that work for us and our opposite schedules.
  • karen91967
    karen91967 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I work the night shift - 3-4 twelve hour shifts a week! Love it - not a day person!!!!
  • Mommy2Avaj
    Mommy2Avaj Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Insomniac here. I don't sleep more than an hr or two a night. So I'm always around on here lol