In the market for a bike

Options
2»

Replies

• zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    If you want a bike that's fast on the road AND you can take it in dirt, then consider a Cyclocross bike.

It has wider clearances than a road bike, but generally, is road bike shaped. You can toss on a set of slick skinny road tires and take to the asphalt, or thicker, knobblier tires and hit the trails.

If I had to own just one bike, this would be it.

THIS! Of my bikes, my CX bike is my favorite (that's what I'm on in my avatar and the bike on the right in my ticker below).
  • zoom2
    Options
    There really isnt a do all bike a mountain bike is more comfortable and better on dirt, uneven surfaces, but it is not geared to go fast and you will get blown away in a tri. A cyclocross bike is a hybrid road bike, with wider wheels. These are not a common bike to find. A road bike is you "10 speed" is much faster, but the narrow wheel make it less then ideal for off road.

My advice is to go to a reputable local bike store and let them discuss options, you should also get fitted for a bike, it will allow you to purchase the right bike and keep you from injury..

A cyclocross bike is really not that difficult to find. All of the major quality brands make a CX model (Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, etc.). Many reputable shops will carry smaller niche brand CX bikes, as well (our favorite shop carries Redline, Gunnar, and Ridley CX bikes, as well as Cannondale).

CX bikes do not have wider wheels, they simply have wider and taller frame/fork clearance so that one can use wider, knobby tires on standard 700cc road wheels. A CX bike will generally weigh a lot less than a flat-bar'd hybrid. My aluminum CX bike only weighs 3-4#s more than my carbon road bike.
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My LBS has a Redline Cyclocross that I will be purchasing on Tuesday. Thanks for all the advice!
  • zoom2
    Options
    My LBS has a Redline Cyclocross that I will be purchasing on Tuesday. Thanks for all the advice!

Yay! My favorite bike is my Redline Conquest. My 11 year old DS has a Conquest 24, which is their pint-size model scaled for 9-13 year olds. You will not regret this purchase! :drinker:
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I am currently looking to buy a bike. I will be using it for triathlons and road races. I will obviously use it for training purposes as well. I do at times like to ride on paths (ie; dirt) and am not sure what type of bike to get. It doesn't have to be anything super fancy but I also don't want to get a Wal-Mart special. Any recommendations/suggestions? Thanks!
    DON'T GET A WAL MART BIKE!!!! Especially if you want to serious riding. It's worth the money to get a good bike, and if you buy a walmart bike you WILL regret it! Wal Mart bikes are made super cheap. My commuter bike is from walmart, and many components wore out after just a few months, and i had to pay to upgrade those parts. My latest bike is a fancy Trek road bike, and OMG what a sweet bike that one is!!! It came from the store ready to ride, and i can't keep off of the thing!