I'm an ex-anorexic,when can I lose weight in a healthy way?

I'm 5'1 and 117 pounds, I think I'm done gaining weight because I haven't gained any in 2 weeks.
Even during my eating disorder, I wasn't underweight. My lowest weight was 110 pounds. My starting weight was around 145-150.
I really really want to weigh 105 pounds, it's the lowest healthy weight for my height. But I'm only 5 weeks into recovery, and I already hate my body more than I did when I wasn't eating at all. As of right now, I eat 1000-1200 calories a day. Is it too early to lose weight in a healthy way? How long should I wait?

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Yes, I think it is too early. Five weeks is a very very short time. And you're still saying things like "I hate my body". I would advise you to talk with someone about this very seriously before you decide to lose any weight.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    I would say that, to my non-professional eye- that there are several red flags in your post. First, you should still be working with a medical team, and they should be helping you to figure out a healthy goal weight for you, and help you develop a plan to get there.

Your actual scale weight is almost unimportant as compared to how you are thinking about yourself, especially saying that you hate your body. That, to me, makes me think you are not ready to lose weight. AND, you are writing that you eat as low as 1000 calories a day- not healthy for anyone.
  • jwshmoe75
    jwshmoe75 Posts: 119
    First of all, I'm so glad your in recovery and getting the help you need. Have you talked with your doctors about what to eat and the calories to consume??? I would do what ever your doctors tell you sweetie. You don't want to fall back into the situation that you were in before. I saw where you said you hate your body worse than before. I still think you need to recover more before even thinking about dieting. Please take care of your self.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    I don't think you should try to lose any weight at all. Sounds like you should be working on feeling good about yourself how you are..
  • I haven't even been to a doctor yet. If I ask to go see one, my mom would have to first find out that I had an eating disorder. Which makes me really mad, because I lost over 30 pounds and the person I'm around almost all the time hasn't even noticed. And she'll probably get really upset with me and yell at me, because she's not very understanding or anything.
  • Octopies
    Octopies Posts: 157 Member
    You are eating right now what is considered to be the healthy minimum. Eating less would be unhealthy. If you're at 117lb now and you're eating the minimum, shouldn't that tell you that you should probably stay at 117? It wouldn't hurt to gain some weight either, since that's whats going to happen if you eat a normal amount of calories. You seriously don't need to be losing anything more.

All of this "I hate my body" and you wanting to go to even a LOWER weight from when you were starving yourself tell me that no, you're not over it, you are not recovered. Take some time to get to know your body well and come to terms with it before even trying to "healthily" lose weight- eating anything less than you are already eating IS unhealthy.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Are you in college? If so, they likely have some great counseling resources. They can help you figure out the deeper issues of why you struggled with anorexia and how to have a healthy mentality about weight. I've been for a variety of reasons, such as dealing with anxiety and overwhelming emotions from a break up. It helps tremendously.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    I'm 5'1 and 117 pounds, I think I'm done gaining weight because I haven't gained any in 2 weeks.
    Even during my eating disorder, I wasn't underweight. My lowest weight was 110 pounds. My starting weight was around 145-150.
    I really really want to weigh 105 pounds, it's the lowest healthy weight for my height. But I'm only 5 weeks into recovery, and I already hate my body more than I did when I wasn't eating at all. As of right now, I eat 1000-1200 calories a day. Is it too early to lose weight in a healthy way? How long should I wait?

Stick with eating at least your 1000 - 1200 a day - any less and you run the risk of not giving your body enough nutrition to stay healthy - especially if you are still in your teens.
    Without knowing you personally, it's very hard to say what you should do, but it sounds to be as though the last thing you should be doing is trying to lose weight. Why not aim to maintiain115 - 120 pounds for 6 months or so, and see how you feel after that?
  • Mistymath
    Mistymath Posts: 146 Member
    Talk to a doctor. You are wanting someone to tell you that it's OK, and none of us can truthfully do that. Being healthy is much more important than weighing 105.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    I say this to be helpful-this is the wrong place to get advice on ED's. You will get some support but you also run the risk of getting flamed. A lot of people do not understand eating disorders. As a 19 year old, you should be eligible for treatment without your mother's consent or knowledge. If it is an insurance issue, contact your city's help line (United Way often has one) and ask about free or sliding scale agencies. Many colleges run free counseling clinics for non-students. There are ways to get help, but for someone who hasn't had treatment yet, my guess is you won't find enough of the help you need and too much of the kind of "help" you don't need here.
  • tcupero
    tcupero Posts: 4 Member
    If you are actually 19 yrs old you need to independently get professional help and stick with treatment. This post does not sound like you are in treatment. People die from anorexia untreated underweight or not. It really stresses your body. Please seek help. This is coming from an MSW. Get better! :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    How old are you?
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Other than all the obvious posts like "get medical help" why don't you set a different type of fitness goal since your weight is technically healthy? Would you rather be healthy or just skinny? If you focus on doing something positive for your body, it's easier to find peace with yourself, your mind, your body and appreciate what you have.

Instead of aiming for a certain weight, why not set a goal like "I want to be able to run a 5k" or "I want to take a kickboxing class." These kinds of things can help put your mind in tune with your body and work towards a positive, non weight related goal. When you realize how much your body is capable of you will have more respect for it and simply want to treat it better.
  • squeezetheday
    squeezetheday Posts: 3 Member
    You are far from recovered. Check out the site YourEatopia.
    ETA: Just realized this is a very old thread, hah.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member

The fact you are aiming for a number tells me you aren't really ready to lose weight. You should instead try to improve your physique and not worry so much about your weight. After all, isn't the goal to lose weight to look better? That can be achieved without weighing 105 lbs.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    I'm far from an expert, but it doesn't sound like you've recovered at all
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    It's a zombie thread, guys. Check the date.
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member

You're PHAT!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member

a Deactivated user Zombie thread. Tis the season.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
This discussion has been closed.