Caloric intake question

Options
I recently started working out again with dieting and I feel as if I am getting nowhere. I have lost almost 30 pounds so far. I am working out 5 days a week (cardio and weight lifting and golf 18 holes walking at least once a week) MFP has set my intake at 1660. I am 5'11 223 pounds... Is this too little for someone who is highly active? Should I up it? Any help would be great.

Replies

• korinastern
    Options
    are you eating back your calories?
  • mezz3329
    mezz3329 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    No I am not really eating them back.
  • johnscortes
    Options
    Dude I was doing the same thing as you MFP had me at just under 1600 cals , After doing some research I have found that I need to be at around 2500-2600 here is a good site to check ur cal daily intake http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ just plug in your numbers and do the math easy to figure out I think u will be surprised ..I was. total cal intake for me was 3400 to lose lb u just take it down between 500 - 1000 cals per day.. Im feeling much better now. got some input from another member spontaneous..made me realize i was under eating.. hope that helps..
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    No I am not really eating them back.

If you aren't adding in extra calories when you workout, that makes it a very low calorie intake for a big bloke.

MFP assumes you will add (and eat) extra cals when you workout, otherwise you risk not getting enough nutrition to stay healthy and have enough energy to get through the day.

(I post this regularly, but I'm going to say it again: Every calorie calculator I've come across advises you to eat more when you exercise. MFP is no different. "Eating exercise calories" is not some freaky idea dreamt up only by the MFP developers!)
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Way Way too few calories! check out the calculators on www.fat2fitradio.com. Figure out what BMI is and what the suggested calorie intake is to get to your goal weight based on your level of activity. No reason to starve yourself, you will end up feeling crummy and wanting to give up.

Edit to add....last week I ate 1600 cals per day, exercising 2 hrs per week and lost 3 lbs!! And I am 5'8" and 198 lbs.