lelstar Posts: 374 Member
Does anyone here have hermit crabs? I need some answers please

Replies

• lelstar
    Anyone?
  • lelstar
    Bummer. The pet shops haven't been able to help, I was hoping somone on here would be able to
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    no crabs here!
  • Salamanda425
    Salamanda425 Posts: 358
    I used to..........a few years ago......maybe I can help!
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,262 Member
    No - I'm very selective when it comes to sexual partners, none of them have had crabs of any variety.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Have you asked Google?
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    i've kept them before...what's your question?
  • jnite
    jnite Posts: 108 Member
    I've had lots of them. What is your question?
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    I had some for years, I can probably help too!
    Just to add, the smart *kitten* y remarks people leave really piss me off, especially when one has a legit question.
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,262 Member
    I had some for years, I can probably help too!
    Just to add, the smart *kitten* y remarks people leave really piss me off, especially when one has a legit question.

That's a shame love. Did you see the bit about "Chit-chat, fun and games"? get over it
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    I don't see any "smart *kitten* y" remarks. I see a couple of clever, good-humored ones, but nothing "smart *kitten* y". :flowerforyou:
  • lelstar
    Thanks Catshark209 for your suggestion of a humidity monitor. For everyone else I'm losing crabs within a couple of days of them shedding.
    In regards to the smart *kitten* (yes that's what I call it too) settle down kiddies :-) that sense of humour runs rampant through my family and that's all it is, a joke :-)
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    humidity monitor
    heat mat
    make sure there is calcium in their food/sand

I found this site to be most helpful: http://www.crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/

good luck!
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    I worked in a pet store...

Hermies are easy to care for!
    Make sure you have both salt water and fresh water. They need to drink both!
    Only mist with regular water. If you dont have a humidifier, just mist entier cage 2-3times a day with distilled water (wont leave water marks on glass). Use a moss base, and put a damp towel over most of the top of thier cage if its mesh. This will helpkeep the humidity up.

Other then that... Keep a bowl of fresh food out. And lots of different choices of extra shells If they dont like the sheels you have, they wont go into them when shedding and growing and they will die!

Hope that helped :)
  • lelstar
    Ok. Fresh and salt water check. Heat rock check. I have approx 1in of rocks and shells. They have plenty of wood to climb and chew on. 2 coco houses, 1 from the pet shop and 1 from a coconut I smashed open. They have crab chow and crab fruit choo all the time, and fresh coconut if I have some. Calcium I hadn't heard of, nor humidity. Their water is filtered cos the city water has so much chlorine. Just in case it makes a difference I am in Australia.