anxiety/panick attacks

Options
wondering if anyone else suffers from them and if so has exercise helped at all?

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I have an anxiety disorder and the meds I'm on help tremendously, but working out really takes the edge off.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    have had a good handle on my anxiety and panic attacks for close to a year now, but fealing good about yourself really helps, so if eating healthy and working out makes you feal good then get to it ;-) ( I used a program that really helped me understand my anxiety disorder) I still keep the tapes and books under my bed .... well worth the money in my experience

http://anxietysupportcenter.com/anxiety-remedies/midwest-center-for-anxiety/
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Never been diagnosed on that but occasionally get panic attack, mind going bonkers kind of feeling, I will go to my relaxation exercise, breathe deep and sit quietly, listen to the tape for a good 15 mins. Yoga and good breathing exercise helps to relax me in the morning as well, when I wake up with so much on my mind. Just 15 mins sun salutation.
  • sueannerojas
    Options
    have had a good handle on my anxiety and panic attacks for close to a year now, but fealing good about yourself really helps, so if eating healthy and working out makes you feal good then get to it ;-) ( I used a program that really helped me understand my anxiety disorder) I still keep the tapes and books under my bed
    please share what program you used :)
  • BackTatJIM
    Options
    http://midwestcenter.com/

(a better link)
  • sueannerojas
    Options
    have had a good handle on my anxiety and panic attacks for close to a year now, but fealing good about yourself really helps, so if eating healthy and working out makes you feal good then get to it ;-) ( I used a program that really helped me understand my anxiety disorder) I still keep the tapes and books under my bed
    please share what program you used :)
    sorry i see it now thanks!
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    There's a group on here that's wonderful! Just do a search for "anxiety" and you'll see our group! :)
  • sueannerojas
    Options
    There's a group on here that's wonderful! Just do a search for "anxiety" and you'll see our group! :)
    thank you
  • hairjunkie
    hairjunkie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Exercise has DEFINITELY helped me. In the past 6 months, i've had the worst experiences with panic/anxiety attacks, and didn't want to rely on medication anymore so I started exercising. Amazing. All I can say. Not only do I feel better physically, I feel great mentally. Good luck!
  • funsiiz
    funsiiz Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Absolutely...a nice walk and learn to stop and breath.....Eating healthy also helps me a bunch....:flowerforyou:
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    Oh yea. I have horrible anxiety and panic attacks. and they are horrible. i don't wish them on any one. i really freak out when i have a panic attack. I actually just started having bad attacks in the past half a year, after a traumatic event i went through. i exercise about 5 days a week. and i think the exercise helps a little. but it still doesn't stop my panic attacks. i'm trying different medications to get it under control. exercise can help. but if they keep going on for you, definetly see your doctor and get some help. i know how terrifying and scary panic attacks are. hang in there.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Exercise and eating healthier (a lot more veggies and a lot less sugary snacks) has significantly helped diminish my anxiety. I haven't been exercising as much the past couple of weeks and I can definitely feel my anxiety creeping back. Time for me to get moving again!
  • Ivyvine07
    Ivyvine07 Posts: 4
    Options
    I HAD terrible anxiety/panic attacks until I went to a cardiologist and he prescribed a beta blocker. I can't begin to tell you how much my life has improved! Working out on a daily basis has also helped immensely!
  • ravennyx
    ravennyx Posts: 40
    Options
    I started getting anxiety and panic attacks about ten years ago.. When a lot is going on it can get over whelming.. I don't get them so bad now, I just stay home and don't go out much or socialize much.
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    fricking hate anxiety, and panic attacks, i was plagued by them a few years for no apparent reason. I feel for you sueannerojas, and wish you all the best in the future:flowerforyou:
  • CourtneyHollinger
    CourtneyHollinger Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes honey! I have anxiety attacks. Exercise does help because you get out your frustrations, and you are doing something great for you! I am actually on anti depressants bc I could not get out of my funk for a long time (months). But I can also say even with the meds I am not HAPPY being obese! Love your self and go on a walk and do some sit ups. Sending hugs your way. I understand! :flowerforyou:
  • BackTatJIM
    Options
    O yeah cut out the CAFFEINE ....... caffeine and anxiety = bad news!!!! and I know it cost $ but after about 4 years of dealing with my anxiety, panic attacks, staying home all the time, thinking i am dieing, and all around feeling terrible and fed up I finally spent the money and was the best purchase I have ever made so please look into the program .. ill post it one more time for anyone else

http://midwestcenter.com/
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I had wicked anxiety for a long time and it turned out I only needed a job, sort of like a german shephard. I just needed something to occupy my mind. I chose a very physical profession and my hobby is running, so exercise certainly plays a large part in how good I feel these days.
  • lushunn32
    lushunn32 Posts: 107
    Options
    Yes exercise has really helped me, I don't have to take any meds and that’s the best feeling in the world. I also had to let go of a lot of things in my life...I feel wonderful
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    wondering if anyone else suffers from them and if so has exercise helped at all?

Occasionally.
    Depends on what I'm freaking out about. If I can't find the source, a hard workout seems to back them off. If it's just the panic rat, I do some deep breathing/ visualizing. If I know the source of my anxiety, I can attack it with bubble baths and writing it out.
    Mine have never been bad enough to require medication, but I'm sure if I didn't learn what they were and ways to control them as early on as I did, I'd be all sorts of doped up. :laugh: