How to get protein in with a lo-cal daily goal. suggetions?

:glasses:

Wow, my subject is pretty self-explanatory. I hardly eat meat or poultry, but much less meat. Anyone who is able to manage to get in small portions of protein in each meal, preferably from a plant-based diet, I am happy to hear suggestions. I'm coming up a little short and I recognize I need it for the energy. I have 2 rather sedentary jobs but I otherwise move around a lot. I need to lose 24 pounds and my calorie intake is rather small. Feedback is welcome. Thank you. :smile:

My daily calorie goal is 1300 (add to that the "exercise credits")

My daily goal for protein is 60 grams

Replies

• SLally
    SLally Posts: 33
    soy protein powder is good and if your super adventurous the Vega whole food protein powder. I recently bought the genuine health vanilla beans protein bars, 7g of fat, 14g of protein and only 190cal. they actually fill me up!
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Protein powder! That and cheese and sour cream everyday.
    I was having the same problem. Now I can get more protein in throughout the day to help build muscle (since I weight train now). I am not veggie, but I try to limit my meat consumption and I often have veggie days.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Meal Replacement bars, Atkins has some that are around 200 cals and range from 15 to 20 grams per bar, I usually eat about 2000 to 2500 cals a day and can manage to get in about 150 to 200 grams of protein. Also Greek yogurt has a good amount of protein in it they can range in calories from 120 cals (vanilla chobani) to 160 cals (pineapple chobani) and usually 14 to 17 grams of protein.
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    throw in a protein shake once or twice a day..
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Reduce carb intake increase protein intake. Not sure of your weight or goals but with only 60, if you are active and perhaps are starting strength training, you can go to .7 to 1 g of protein for each pound of lean body mass. good luck.:smile:
  • agbarash
    agbarash Posts: 7
    If you're going for protein, I can't think of anything better than skinless chicken breasts or protein powder. If you do the latter, go for Whey Protein Powder Plus+. It's extremely healthy in regards to the losing fat and keeping/building LEAN muscle, and it's 30 g protein PER scoop with about 170 cals. Also, only buy the chocolate flavored one and not the regular whey protein powder. The non "Plus+" is like..3-4 bucks more expensive, but will not make you gag every time you make a shake!
  • georgew80
    georgew80 Posts: 3
    2 words: Egg whites. Do that with some reduced/non-fat cheese in an omlete for a meal. I do 1.25 cups of egg whites (in the carton right in the dairy case) and Kraft Fat Free Cheese in an omlete with some veggies 2-3x a week. Low call and you pick up 40-50g of protein in one shot.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Vegetable protein mix? One serving is about 70 calories. Sometimes I add it to my soup.
  • LBachynsky
    LBachynsky Posts: 64
    60g of protein is not enough. You need to have 1g for each pound you weigh, unless you are obese. Then you want to have 1g per pound of your GOAL weight.

I'm at 154 and I barely make it to 140g per day eating egg whites for breakfast, turkey sausages for lunch, chicken salad at afternoon snack, pulled turkey wrap at dinner, and 2 shakes a day.

It's tough to meet that protein goal, but once you get there, you feel like you're eating all day and you feel stuffed at the end of the day.
  • where does one get those?
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    2 words: Egg whites. Do that with some reduced/non-fat cheese in an omlete for a meal. I do 1.25 cups of egg whites (in the carton right in the dairy case) and Kraft Fat Free Cheese in an omlete with some veggies 2-3x a week. Low call and you pick up 40-50g of protein in one shot.

I second the egg-white suggestion. They're pure protein, and only 60 calories for half a cup.

If you don't like to waste egg yolks, then you can get egg substitute. They're the same thing as egg whites, except they have been pasteurized and have added color to them. To me, they seem to cook up more like regular eggs than just plain egg whites do, but it could also be my imagination and their whole egg color.
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    I second the protein powder statements

Edit - I dont eat a lot of meat either, so plant-based protein is my BFF. After my workouts, I consume between 1700-2000 cals a day (my base is 1200, plus eating back my workout calories). I get my protein from protein shakes, lots of nuts, and beans.
  • I am like Allisongrl, I am not technically veggie but i limit my consumption of meat and animal products whenever possible.and choose vegetarian the majority of the time
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I'm a vegetarian, and I get ~120-130g protein a day- though I eat more in the 1700 cal region. I use quite a bit of whey, but you could substitute any other type of protein powder. Feel free to check out my diary.
  • LaRue214
    LaRue214 Posts: 1
    I third (or whatever) the egg white suggestion, I eat whole eggs because I want the fat and the nutrients that the yolk contain. Fish is a great source as well as good for you in other ways. Eggs and fish are my biggest sources of protein.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    If you are not vegan then plain fat free Greek yogurt is packed with protein, you can add frozen or puréed fresh fruit with stevia or artificial sweetener for a flavor boost.
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 802 Member
    All are excellent replies ! Greek yogurt is high in protein too and I add just a little protein powder to it and stir it well.
  • KBienn
    KBienn Posts: 23 Member
    egg whites!!! i use liquid egg whites which are pasteurized so you can add them to fruit shakes. I have 4 servings in a wrap post workouts - 100 cals and 20 grams of protein!!
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    I found something at Walmart called "New Whey Liquid Protein" It has 42g of protein in it! It tastes like a liquid gummy bear and is kind of thick, so I mixed it with a few oz of 5cal juice just to get it down!
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 373 Member
    Try to get your protein from REAL food, not protein powder.

Eggs, fish (salmon, tuna, sardines), greek yogurt-plain, lean protein like grass fed beef and chicken.