CLEAN SLOPPY JOES :)

Options
nikkiprickett
nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
1 tsp olive oil
1lb extra lean ground bison (or extra lean ground beef)
3 cloves garlic minced
1 medium onion, diced
2 tsp chile powder
3/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 sweet red bell pepper
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 small eggplant
1 1/2 c everyday marinara sauce (I'll give you that too :)
1 tbsp sucanat or raw honey
sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
8 thin whole-grain sandwich buns, toasted

Instructions (summarized)

cook meat, garlic and onion until browned then add chile powder, mustard and cayenne, cook for another minute or two then put in bowl and set aside.

put pepper, zucchini and eggplant in pan and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add meat mixture back to pan and stir...reduce heat to med. cook for an additional 10-12 min.

add marinara, 2 tbsp of water and sucanat (or honey) to pan stirring until meat and veggies are coated

Nutrition info for sandwich (minus marinara) (3/4c of filling on bread)
cals-232
fat-5
sat-1
mono-3
poly-1
carbs-30
fiber-5
sugars-10
sodium -255
Chol - 30

Marinara:
5c jarred diced or strained tomatoes (no salt or sugar added)
1 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 med white onion, diced
2 med carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 sprigs fresh oregano, stems removed (about 2 tbsp leaves)
8 basil leaves
1/4 red chile flakes, optional
1 tbsp honey
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions:
heat oil over med-high. add garlic, onion, carrots and celery and saute. Add tom, tom paste, oregano, basil and chile flakes if desired and cook, stirring frequently until sauce comes to a boil. reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour stirring occasionally.

remove saucepot from heat and carefully puree mixture with a hand blender or in a food processor until smooth. Add honey and season with salt and pepper, mix well.

ladle mixture into resealable containers, let cool to room temp, cover and refrigerate until needed. Sauce can be kept, refrigerated for up to 5 days or frozen 2 months

nutrition info for sauce (1c):
cals-70
fat- 2.5
sat-.25
carbs -12
fiber- 2.5
sugar-8
protein-2.5
sodium-49
chol - 0

ALSO---
I didn't use eggplant, onion or the marinara...(the store I went to only had 1 eggplant left and it was bad, I hate onion and didn't feel like making the marinara so I bought an all natural version already made.

ENJOY :)

Replies