Is it rude???

Options
Do you think it would be rude for me to bring my own dressing to a restaurant next time I go to one? (I don't plan on going to one, but sometimes you can't really avoid it).. All the dressings at restaurants are so bad for you, so I thought of this, but someone told me it would be rude.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• simplysassi
    simplysassi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Absolutely NOT! Nothing to be ashamed of there.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Why not ask for the dressing on the side? That way you can choose how much you can put on? That's what I've always done. I can get away with putting on so much less.
  • nataliefamily3
    Options
    People have done it where I work before. One regular brings her own special salt. I don't think it would be that odd and not rude. Could always say you have a food allergy if questioned.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    What would be rude is if they bothered you about it. You are still paying them and they save the cost of the dressing. Win win.
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    Its not rude at all. Go for it you shoudn't have to eat dry salad or have terrible options.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I don't think its rude, but you may want to ask you the kind you like and then if they don't have it take it out.
  • histogal99
    histogal99 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Shoot, girl, I bring my own dressing, lowfat cottage cheese and splenda/cinnamon mix with me. I found this cute little insulated bag that looks like a purse. Most often the servers comment on what a great idea it is.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Do it! I don't do this, but I had an old co-worker that carried a bottle of ranch in her purse at all times. lol
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    No. It isn't rude. I think it is a great idea. I wish I could bring my own drinks, because they typically have no healthy options and I don't like drinking water that tastes like a swimming pool with fluoride in it.
    8)
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    NO it is not rude. But you will discover which of your fellow diners are not supportive of your choice to better yourself when you whip out your own salad dressing. Good luck. Have a good come back ready because there will be someone who will have to dip from your bucket.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I've bought my own dinners to restaurants. I give zero ****s.
  • mrmv
    mrmv Posts: 95
    Options
    Not Rude!!!
  • jasonthekidd
    Options
    Even better....try spray dressings...bottles are small and no need to measure...10 sprays equals whatever amount of calories.

Applebee's and outback steakhouse both have at least one "light" dressing too.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Do it.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Take your dressing yes! They will walk over you and look for the next customer if you have health issues because of their fat laden dressings and toppings.

You can eat at resturants - and you control what you will have.

Great move!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Not rude, but unusual and probably unneccessary in my opinion.
    Why not ask for the dressing on the side and just use a small portion of what they provide?
    Unless you actually have an allergy to the ingredients, then the calories in a small portion aren't going to be very high.
  • xochiaxo
    xochiaxo Posts: 4
    Options
    I don't think it's rude.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    How could that be rude? -- You're PAYING for the salad, dressed or not. Would it be rude for you to pull a packet of Splenda out of your purse for your coffee if they only offered Sweet 'n' Low? -- 'Course not. Same diff. Go for it!
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I think It would be rude in a fine dining setting. In a casual restaurant it's no big deal and good for you for planning ahead. I used to serve and I witnessed many people bring all sorts of things in and it was totally acceptable.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    As a former server, I never found it rude, I just assumed they had special dietary needs.