any vegans or vegetarians?

Options

Replies

• babybellyfat
    babybellyfat Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I like to buy the yves ground round! its helps me out with meat foods! like pies ect..
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    Thanks i will check it out. smoothie sounds yummy!

Raw fruit and vegetables, mainly. Today i had several fruit smoothies, and a big ol' salad. There are tons of cool recipes out there, too. Soups are really easy. There are so many things that come to mind.

If you want some really cool "transitional" recipes for those new to being vegan/vegetarian, check youtube for "Engine 2 diet"
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    I bow down to the vegans I cant do it as well. But i do get almond milk and from time to time some vegan cheese when the market has it :)
    i was a vegan for a couple weeks but i just couldnt stick to it so i started eating dairy again. all you eat when you're a vegan is fruit, vegetables, and a lot of carbs. i found myself eating a lot more carbs because of the minimal amount of options. it made me feel very good and very cleansed but being vegan makes it a lot harder to get through your day cuz like an hour after you eat you feel hungry again.
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    Thank so much i will look it up!
    Hi! I have been a vegetarian for 2 years now. My best insight is that you have to change your way of thinking about preparing food... lots of one pot meals for us now.

Here are some blogs to check out (on my kindle so I'm not going to type out the whole address)
    Happy herbivore - fat free/low fat vegan
    Oh she glows - awesome recipes in general... vegan
    Peas and thank you
    chocolate covered Katie - to die for vegan healthy desserts

I'll write more later.. I hope this is a good start for you!
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    thanks for the link. mmmmmm lentil burger i will check it out thank u!!

I am not a vegan or vegetarian, however, I enjoy a lot of dishes that are plant based. I know of a great website for vegans/vegetarians. It is at www.vegancoach.com
    Very informative information on veganism/vegetarian lifestyle and many recipes she sends you through her newsletters.

Also, I just posted a wonderful vegan lentil-mushroom burger under the Recipes message board that is delicious. Give it a try and good luck!
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    congrads!! I use yves ground round as fake meats and its good :) Some of the fake meats i dont like the smell but ground round dont smell funky.
    I'm vegetarian! But only as of a week so far. I started last Monday so I totally need ideas too!

I do not (and WILL NOT) use the fake "meats" tho.
  • pinkupooh
    pinkupooh Posts: 155
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for all my life. I am Indian, so we eat lots of vegetable curries, rice, legumes, beans etc.
    Never felt the need to try non-veg, never missed it...:)
  • msgremmy
    msgremmy Posts: 88
    Options
    I'm a long-time vegan (13 years) and was vegetarian for 4 years before... I'm 25.

I do a mix of all natural fruits and veggies and tofu and "meat substitutes" for protein. I also drink a protein shake on exercise days (or if I'm just low protein). I love Morning Star Crumbles and Chicken Strips for taco salad and ranch chicken salad. You learn to cook from scratch pretty quickly-- like pancakes and manicotti. www.vegweb.com is my favorite resource for recipes.

I disagree that you, by default, eat a lot of carbs as a vegan-- it's a choice that comes with any dietary path. I'm not hungry all the time at all.
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    WOW 26 years Thats aweosme!!!! any tips , ideas recipes please let me know! :) add me. and i like eggs too

Vegetarian for 26 years. I'd be vegan, except I do enjoy honey and eggs from my pet hens.
  • bridies01
    bridies01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Why's that?

Honestly because I feel like its just junk. Why would I go through all this trouble to eat all these yummy, healthy, good for you fruits and veggies and then eat a big hunk of something thats nothing but processed?

Plus if I wanted to eat meat, I would just eat meat. I made the switch to being vegetarian because I just stopped liking the taste and texture of meat.

I've been a vegetarian since I was 13 - I also did not like the taste and texture of meat. The fake meat products are highly processed - just because they are vegetarian does not make them health food. I do like the Morningstar Farms chicken patty chopped up on a salad, or making BLT's with their soy bacon - but I only use these products once a week, if that. It's kind of my version of "fast food".

To convert to being vegetarian, I think people think you have to get complicated with recipes - you can - or you could simply omit the meat and add more veggies to your plate. If you are the typical meat, starch, veggie on a plate meal, it's simple. I get my protein through greek yogurt and egg whites, beans (I add cannellini beans to salads, and love making vegetarian chili), tofu (on the grill, or baked and added to stir fry). I just started getting better about logging meals again, so feel free to look at my food diary for ideas.
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    I understand hun! Wtg to that!

Why's that?

Honestly because I feel like its just junk. Why would I go through all this trouble to eat all these yummy, healthy, good for you fruits and veggies and then eat a big hunk of something thats nothing but processed?

Plus if I wanted to eat meat, I would just eat meat. I made the switch to being vegetarian because I just stopped liking the taste and texture of meat.
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    Wtg girl. I love eating bean salad. lentils, um yves ground ground and make it into food like pie, in pasta ect.. Some of the meatless meats i dont like the smell but im getting used to it. And im learning on what to make with tofu. Add me if u like so we can switch recipes ect..
    I'm on my second day meat free! I would be interested in what others are eating as well...So far a lot of fresh fruit and veggies....I had some morning star meatless chicken strips in my salad earlier, and it was delic!
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    This is my first week so I'm still getting the hang of it. Others feel free to add me. I could use the support, and would love other ideas for meals.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I switched to vegetarian eating about a month ago although I was never a big meat eater anyway. My diet consist of fresh fruits and vegetables,greens and beans, nuts (in small quantities), plain fat free greek yogurt, Wegmans shredded wheat cereal (no sugar added),and whole grains like brown rice, wheatberries, quinoa, etc. Occassionally I'll have whole wheat pasta. I don't eat anything made with flour including bread or anything processed. Whole foods is healthiest. The only beverage I drink other than 1 cup of coffee in the morning is bottled water and lots of it. I'm trying to cut cholesterol so I limit eggs and cheese but they are good choices if you have no issues with cholesterol.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    vegan :D and i have a healthy recipe site
    http://www.kennieskitchen.com
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    Anyone can add me if you like. We can swap recipes and ideas on vegan and veget......
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I agree with you on the imitation meat. Exactly how I feel about it.
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    That sound Yummy thank you so much for the tips.
    Well, this morning around eightish for breakfast I had a piece of Killer Dave"s Good Seed whole wheat toast spread with peanut butter and topped with half a cup of fresh raspberries. (It is amazing that raspberries and broccoli are relatively high in protein!)

For lunch it was left over Pad Thai (noodles and vegetables) from my favorite restaurant.

Supper was an ear of Corn on the cob dressed lightly with butter-flavored spray and freshly ground sea salt.
    2 corn tortillas warmed in the microwave and filled with Rosarita non-fat refried beans seasoned with taco seasoning, ground gluten, avocado, lettuce and salsa.

My favorite supper though is 6 tablespoons of popcorn, popped in an air popper, lightly sprayed with butter flavored spray and sprinkled with a tsp of McCormick's taco seasoning followed by two cups of melon and around 15 almonds...Good mouth satisfaction, lots of fiber and the melon sweet...good fats and enough protein.

I grew up as a vegetarian and over the years have leaned more and more to the vegan way of eating...just finished a month long course called the Complete Health Improvement Program that has given me lots of recipes and a renewed determination to healthy eating...their program is evidence based and very helpful.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Oh, hi
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Join this group Happy Herbivores.