How the heck do I eat enough protein!!???

Options

Replies

• TiffanyWasmer
    TiffanyWasmer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Whey protein isolate is your friend!!! I use two different kinds: GNC 100% whey strawberry and Biotech 100% whey Vanilla. Both have around 110 calories and 20 grams of protein per serving. They are "instantized" so they mix beautifully in water or unsweetened vanilla almond milk (which adds 35 calories.)
    I make these in the morning and in the evening if needed to supplement my requirements. Hope this helps!!
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Whey protein isolate is your friend!!! I use two different kinds: GNC 100% whey strawberry and Biotech 100% whey Vanilla. Both have around 110 calories and 20 grams of protein per serving. They are "instantized" so they mix beautifully in water or unsweetened vanilla almond milk (which adds 35 calories.)
    I make these in the morning and in the evening if needed to supplement my requirements. Hope this helps!!

Thank you for this tip! I really have had a hard time finding a decent protein powder, but I do have a GNC really close to me!!!!!!!! I'll hit them up this weekend!
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Try protein shakes! I buy the cheap kind from walmart and it's 25-30g protein in one scoop (140-160 calories)

Greek yogurt is great... I get the plain, nonfat kind (1 cup is 22g protein, 120 calories) It doesn't taste like much but if you mix it with some protein powder you can get some flavor and extra protein in there.

Tuna and chicken are also awesome.

Best of luck!
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    you do not need that many!! 100-110 g is plenty for you!!! If you eat more than 30g in 3 hours your body pees out the excess nitrogen from it... putting a strain on your kidneys, and too much of any macronutrient will get stored as fat.... at a max protein should be 35% of your diet, spread out throughout the day!!!!

I hadn't heard this before, but that makes sense. Good info, thank you.

After looking at my LBM numbers, that sounds about right........my LBM is somewhere between 100 and 120 which I didn't take into account at first.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Remember it doesn't have to be all meat and protein shakes - quinoa is a great source of protein and you can pair it with fish or chicken like you would rice - cook it, mix in some veggies... that, my friend, is a badass dinner!
  • bamadwl
    bamadwl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Tuna seems to be one of the most protien dense, low calorie foods that I've found so far. I eat tuna for lunch almost every day which is working reat for me. The biggest problem is if you get bored with eating the same foods over and over.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    And thank you everyone for the food suggestions.......I kind of hate greek yogurt (*ducks*) but there are a lot of other suggestions I hadn't even thought of. I'm going to start experimenting with my menu this next week and try to spend a little time finding a better protein supplement (I'm currently using the one I get at Trader Joes which actually only has 16gs per serving). I'm also going to see if I focus a little on protein if I can create some habits of making my meals & snacks more protein dense. So thank you!!!

Have you tried Dannon Oikos Fruit on the Bottom Greek Yogurt? I hate most of it too- but I eat the Strawberry one every morning for breakfast and have recently added a homemade protein muffin to my breakfast. It's tasty and keeps me full!
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Tuna seems to be one of the most protien dense, low calorie foods that I've found so far. I eat tuna for lunch almost every day which is working reat for me. The biggest problem is if you get bored with eating the same foods over and over.

Careful- you can have too much tuna! I love it too, but try to limit it to 1 or 2 servings a week, as it contains a lot of mercury (especially the Albacore). So I try to buy the chunk light, even though Albacore is my favorite.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Tillapia. 8oz of Tillapia is only 200 calories and 40g protien
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options
    I was always taught to go with the 1g of protein for each pound of LBM. From my experience this is the most consistently used equation.

I'm a vegetarian, so I depend wholly on non-flesh protein sources.

You said you don't like Greek Yogurt, but are you just eating it plain? I do a 1cup of Fage Greek Yogurt (130cal, 23g protein, no fat) and add in 1-2tbs of sugar free fruit/berry preserves. It tastes like a nice fruity ice cream dessert. :)

I also integrate a lot of whole grains and oats into my diet as well as dairy products- It seems like I have cheese in every meal! A Sargento cheese stick for a snack only has 60cal but 5 grams of protein, and it's quite enjoyable.

Some veggies have protein counts and low calorie, no fat compositions, add in some low cal/fat creamy dressing with them as a snack and 120 calories later you have another nice chunk of the big P.

Quesadillas with carefully picked ingredients can be healthy and low fat/cal. Honestly, I don't worry too much about calories as long as they're healthy. If you're scared because peanut butter has 200 calories and 16g (OMG :-p) of fat, consider the advantages that come with the contents...don't just fret over the fat count. Make it count as a rich source of nutrition, and note that it's filling and healthy, so eating it with an apple for a 300cal snack in the afternoon is not a bad thing in moderation.

Meat Alternatives like Soy-based products (including tofu) like other's have noted are extremely high in protein and low in calories and fat, especially compared to many meats (especially those that particular products are meant to emulate). Some mornings I'll have two morningstar sausage patties with my toast or eggs, those give me a whopping 20g protein and only 160 calories. Yes, these foods are somewhat processed, but they're still food, not a chalky powder.

For those who are pushing different protein powders- those are great, especially after a work out, but I'm wary of drinking it every day (especially in the doses you guys note- like four total scoops a day!) though it can come from natural sources, it's still a processed food. I'd rather enjoy eating real food for my protein unless I'm in a hurry or have a big deficit for the day. As far as Whey Protein Isolate- my research and personal experience notes that it doesn't settle as well with most people as other powders. When I tried it I got the symptoms of food poisoning for about 8 hours after. When I use the powders I stick with MRM 100% Natural Whey Protein powder, and on super deficit days I use Pea Protein powder (horrible consistency though) for 23g protein per low-calorie serving.
  • chrisb75
    Options
    you do not need that many!! 100-110 g is plenty for you!!! If you eat more than 30g in 3 hours your body pees out the excess nitrogen from it... putting a strain on your kidneys, and too much of any macronutrient will get stored as fat.... at a max protein should be 35% of your diet, spread out throughout the day!!!!

After looking at my LBM numbers, that sounds about right........my LBM is somewhere between 100 and 120 which I didn't take into account at first.

What he said is not true.

What he said is "partly true".
  • cburky911
    cburky911 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    In another thread, many folks were talking about eating 1g of protein per lb of body weight. Which would put me at eating about 150 grams of protein per day. I changed my MFP goals to adjust for that and MAN I did not even come close!!! I had egg whites with breakfast, a chicken breast with lunch, a protein shake for a snack, and a sprouted grain tortilla with hummus at dinner and I was still at less than HALF of what I "should" be eating for protein!

How are folks able to get more than 100 grams of protein in per day without busting the calorie bank? I'm at about 1500 calories right now.

That's a fallacy...men need to have about 75g of protein a day. Women about 65-70g per day
  • RetroGlitzDiva
    RetroGlitzDiva Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have 2 Morningstar veggie sausage in the morning with my tea so that is 20 grams for breakfast. I then drink a Premier Protein shake after my workout for another 30 grams. I have some sort of meat on my salad or just down some turkey lunch meat. Then for dinner I make sure to get a good serving in. I am going for 100 g or more a day and I don't seem to have a problem. The days I don't drink a protein shake are hard to get there though.
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    Most days I'm over 100g. Plain, non-fat Greek yogurt helps me a LOT (15 g protein and only 80 calories).
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    In another thread, many folks were talking about eating 1g of protein per lb of body weight. Which would put me at eating about 150 grams of protein per day. I changed my MFP goals to adjust for that and MAN I did not even come close!!! I had egg whites with breakfast, a chicken breast with lunch, a protein shake for a snack, and a sprouted grain tortilla with hummus at dinner and I was still at less than HALF of what I "should" be eating for protein!

How are folks able to get more than 100 grams of protein in per day without busting the calorie bank? I'm at about 1500 calories right now.

I eat a lot of fish.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes (good ones - i only order pure 100% whey protein isolate, 0% cholestorl is key, 0 to no carb), greek yogurt, lean meat, beans, quinoa, tofu, fish -- easy! Just change your meals/snackes to items with higher protein.

If you're also watching sodium, watch out for cheese... it has protein but it has tons of sodium so I avoid it.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

What he said is not true.

What he said is "partly true".

The only part I agree with is 100g of protein "MIGHT" be enough for her. It probably is. 35% of you diet? depends. It won't get stored as fat.(research is just touching on this subject, so i won't call him out on it. Not many people know what really happens.)

I agree... women can easily eat 50g+ of protein in one go and muscular men 100g+... the only difference from (the myth) of 30g is it will take longer to digest - the body is an amazing machine!

The nitrogen retention for the numbers being discussed is also not an issue.

How do you think Intermittant fasters deal with eating 4000 cals in 4 hours hitting all their macros in one or two meals?

Lastly to put on fat (unless you have other conditions) you need to be eating a calorific excess!
  • chrisb75
    Options
    Lastly to put on fat (unless you have other conditions) you need to be eating a calorific excess!

BINGO!
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Tillapia. 8oz of Tillapia is only 200 calories and 40g protien

This is great to know, thank you!