What is your secrets to success?

Options
2»

Replies

• AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Taking it one day at a time like they do in AA... don't think about tomorrow and don't think about yesterday. Concentrate on making choices just for today and make them good ones (regardless of which plan you subscribe to).
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Consistent persistance
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    1. Cutting down on the alcohol.

2. Cutting down (practically eliminating) bread, pasta, white rice. Starting to add back some carbs now that I'm getting closer to my desired weight and exercising much more. But being quite careful....

3. Drinking a lot of water. No more soft drinks, diet or otherwise....

4. Becoming more active. I've started to run, etc.

5. I travel a lot on business. So making sure I hit the hotel gym almost every day I'm on the road. Even if it's just for a short run. But doing something....

6. Quick wins, especially NSV's. The weight will come off, but it's only one of many metrics. Just looking better naked is a huge motivator. Or dropping down in pants size. Getting nice comments from friends and colleagues. Etc. So don't fixate on weight only.

7. Take the long view: it's a lifestyle change, not a quick loss fad that you can stop one day and go back to your old ways. So find food and exercise that you enjoy, since it's forever....
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    That and letting go of the need to be perfect... I don't have to be perfect, but I can do a little better.

This is a very important point. I sometimes forget this, and get frustrated....

Thanks,

--Prahasaurus
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Taking it slow, not sweating the small stuff, and being honest with myself. I only weigh myself once every few months (it feels more rewarding to see the pounds come off in bigger chunks rather than look at a scale once a week and see teeny tiny changes), I don't beat myself up over slip-ups (if you make yourself feel guilty, you'll be more inclined to throw yourself farther off because of how badly you think you've already done), and I don't let anyone else dictate what I eat or do (I have roommates, so a big problem I had before I committed to eating healthy was blaming my bad food choices on that there were no clean dishes or that they were just going to throw out their leftover takeout [I have always hated to see things a lot of people don't even have access to, like food, water, or clothing, go to waste]. Also, I turn down rides to places I could easily walk to, every time.)
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Patience. Just.... patience....
  • clamoreaux2012
    Options
    Wow I was surprised with all the responses for this. I wasn't looking for some magic secret to weight loss... just had a hard day after stepping on the scale and saw I GAINED 4 lbs. Not going the direction I wanted. Just looking for a little motivation and I got it from everyone. Knowing that I'm not in it alone and people can do it (without drugs and surgery) is really motivational in its self. Thank you!