Why is 1200 the magic number.............?!?

Options
Jordant107
Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
No doubt this has been asked before, but why do I see so many people saying that they only eat 1200 calories per day, and that 1200 is the optimum number of calories to eat in order to lose weight?!?

Replies

• Assassins_Angel
    Options
    from what i gather its if you are too far below that your body enters starvation mode and you wont lose any weight i say too far below i mean from about 700ish cals i always get the 'you're not eating enough cals per day' message
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    No doubt this has been asked before, but why do I see so many people saying that they only eat 1200 calories per day, and that 1200 is the optimum number of calories to eat in order to lose weight?!?

Because anyone with a BMR of 1760 or less, who selects Sedentary activity level, and 2lb loss per week, will receive 1200.

1760 x 1.25 = 2200 - 1000 = 1200!

And you know most women are going to select Sedentary, "just to be on the safe side".
    And most women are going to select 2lb loss per week, "because I want to lose it fast".

Now matter how many of them have yo-yo dieted this way in the past and are here for their 3, 4, 5th time because it never works in the long term.

The above math of course shows that if the BMR is less than 1760, you actually can't get 2lbs week weight loss.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Because people get hung up on the starvation mode idea if they eat below 1200 calories rather than learning about what their body actually needs - which in many cases is more than 1200 calories. There are so many factors at play, such as gender, height, current weight, activity level, weight loss goals etc, that it is impossible to come up with a one number fits all solution to weight loss.

But, hey, there are plenty of people out there who try it so who are we to argue!
  • Jordant107
    Options

Because anyone with a BMR of 1760 or less, who selects Sedentary activity level, and 2lb loss per week, will receive 1200.

And you know most women are going to select Sedentary, "just to be on the safe side".
    And most women are going to select 2lb loss per week, "because I want to lose it fast".

Now matter how many of them have yo-yo dieted this way in the past and are here for their 3, 4, 5th time because it never works in the long term.

The above math of course shows that if the BMR is less than 1760, you actually can't get 2lbs week weight loss.
    Seems a little crazy, but maybe thats cause I'm a guy!?? I eat about 1200 in two meals if I'm a bit hungrier than usual.................must be torture to not be able to eat!! :(
  • virionoftomorrow
    Options
    because thats the official lowest calorie amount people can consume and still be "healthy" according to the medical establishment. i tend to agree with the person above insofar as i really doubt this is an effective strategy long term, but it is the lowest number this site will give you as a daily goal and everyone wants to lose weight NOW. i know the feeling but i also know from experience that in order to be successful at weight loss you have to fight that "i want it now" feeling just as much as you have to fight the urge to binge...
  • oOTaraOo
    oOTaraOo Posts: 29
    Options
    The starvation mode myth has actually been disproved - it was something that Weight Watchers used to always tell their clients but had to turn around about a year ago I think to say it was not true.

From a google search:

A diet based on 1200 calories daily is the recommended minimum for safe and healthy weight loss. This is because 1200 calories will generally provide an adequate nutritional intake for most individuals, yet still allows the reduction of calories to the level that most dieters require in order to lose weight.

I actually think for guys the number is 1800? But I may be incorrect
  • Jordant107
    Options
    Just btw- I'm not saying that some people can't survive on that, or it's not the right number for some!! I can see how someone with a smaller frame and low activity would be fine eating only 1200 calories, but on the most part it's all just a big myth that this number will be the magic that makes all the difference?!?
  • Jordant107
    Options
    because thats the official lowest calorie amount people can consume and still be "healthy" according to the medical establishment. i tend to agree with the person above insofar as i really doubt this is an effective strategy long term, but it is the lowest number this site will give you as a daily goal and everyone wants to lose weight NOW. i know the feeling but i also know from experience that in order to be successful at weight loss you have to fight that "i want it now" feeling just as much as you have to fight the urge to binge...
    Ok- short term I can see how it could work and a person would benefit from it, but I can't see that working for too long!!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    As far as I've been able to figure out, it's a semi-arbitrary number that was originally set by the ACSM as a nutritional guideline for the bare minimum number of calories for women- not because that's what most women need, but because it is very difficult to meet all of the individual nutritional guidelines (like iron, calcium, protein, folic acid, vitamin C etc etc) with less than 1200 eating actual food, not supplements. So they sort of backed in to that number. Interestingly enough, that same minimum for men is 1800 calories- but you don't see that number so widely used.
  • lillylouxx
    Options

Okay this has confused me......I'm new to all of this. Only found MFP 2 weeks ago. I'm five months post natal (first baby) and have about 50lbs to lose. I selected all of the options you mentioned above "sedentary, 2lbs wt loss etc etc" lol. Although I work out for half an hour about 5 days a week and walk for two hours at least 3-4 times a week, I have put myself at sedentary as my day-to-day life with my baby is just this. Instead I log my walking, cardio and weight lifting under the exercise section......Am I doing this all wrong???? I'm exclusively breastfeeding btw if this affects anything (although I found this logged under breakfast, so therefore get an extra 500 cal allowance). Any insight would be much appreciated! Ps. I'm happy with reaching target in a year, by my 30th birthday, so no rush - I'm aware it needs to be a long term goal for health reasons etc etc Ta
  • heybales
    Options
    Ok- short term I can see how it could work and a person would benefit from it, but I can't see that working for too long!!

It generally does if someone is shorter, small frame, and doesn't do any exercise more than walking, and they were going to end up near 1200 anyway for realistic goal weight.

As soon as someone starts working out, they come back in 3-9 weeks complaining of stalling, weight loss slowed down and then stalled, more than reduction in weight would have caused.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/88/4/906.full

Conclusion: Declines in energy expenditure favoring the regain of lost weight persist well beyond the period of dynamic weight loss.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    As far as I've been able to figure out, it's a semi-arbitrary number that was originally set by the ACSM as a nutritional guideline for the bare minimum number of calories for women- not because that's what most women need, but because it is very difficult to meet all of the individual nutritional guidelines (like iron, calcium, protein, folic acid, vitamin C etc etc) with less than 1200 eating actual food, not supplements. So they sort of backed in to that number. Interestingly enough, that same minimum for men is 1800 calories- but you don't see that number so widely used.

That is my understanding also - its more of a nutritional than weight loss minimum.
  • heybales
    Options

Okay this has confused me......I'm new to all of this. Only found MFP 2 weeks ago. I'm five months post natal (first baby) and have about 50lbs to lose. I selected all of the options you mentioned above "sedentary, 2lbs wt loss etc etc" lol. Although I work out for half an hour about 5 days a week and walk for two hours at least 3-4 times a week, I have put myself at sedentary as my day-to-day life with my baby is just this. Instead I log my walking, cardio and weight lifting under the exercise section......Am I doing this all wrong???? I'm exclusively breastfeeding btw if this affects anything (although I found this logged under breakfast, so therefore get an extra 500 cal allowance). Any insight would be much appreciated! Ps. I'm happy with reaching target in a year, by my 30th birthday, so no rush - I'm aware it needs to be a long term goal for health reasons etc etc Ta

MFP is designed for you to indeed select an activity level that includes no exercise, and deficit is taken, and daily goal is stated.
    Then you log exercise when actually done, and eat it back on those days, though between one workout and the next is just fine.

This is precisely why you log workouts and are given credits for calories burned and daily goal goes up. You still have deficit.

You are doing it wrong if not eating back exercise, doing it correct if you are. You still have whatever deficit was given no matter what.

Very realistic goal too, because while 2lbs weekly at beginning might be possible, not later, unless you feel like losing more than just fat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The starvation mode myth has actually been disproved - it was something that Weight Watchers used to always tell their clients but had to turn around about a year ago I think to say it was not true.

From a google search:

A diet based on 1200 calories daily is the recommended minimum for safe and healthy weight loss. This is because 1200 calories will generally provide an adequate nutritional intake for most individuals, yet still allows the reduction of calories to the level that most dieters require in order to lose weight.

I actually think for guys the number is 1800? But I may be incorrect

It depends on the definition of 'starvation mode' which is pretty much the most mis-understood and over-used term on here
  • Lynn_SD
    Lynn_SD Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't let you choose how fast to lose the weight, it calculates it for you after you put in the other variables. My BMR is under 1600 so originally MFP gave me a daily calorie intake of 1200 to lose 0.8 lb per week. I just redid goals to increase calories to 1300 and so now my "goal" weight loss per week is only 0.6 lb.
  • heybales
    Options

Starvation mode as a survival mechanism for folks on here - yes, not going to happen, not without some hard work and dedication and stupidity.

But I can give you a diet/exercise routine that will starve your body of glucose stores and help burn muscle, and cause great weight loss for awhile.

And absolutely terrible re-entry into normal maintenance level.

Depends on what starving the body means.

Because you could eat 4 Little Debbies for almost 2000 calories daily, and be starving for nutrients after a while, even if it made you gain weight.

You could also eat 600 calories and get all your nutrients in, but be starving for energy for your level of activity.

Depends on what the body is starving for
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's not a magic number or an optimum number - but it is a generic number that you often see recommended as a minimum for healthy weight loss.

It doesn't mean that it suits everyone, it's there because the MFP developers obviously decided that they needed to set a minimum so people didn't choose crazy-fast and unhealhty weight loss goals and only get recommended 250 cals a day.

I'm sure many people are eating less is necessary for them to stay healthy and lose weight, but human nature means that most people are going to choose the quickest way to achieve a result. Using MFP, that means they will get the generic recommendation of 1200 cals/day. It's compounded by the fact that most people don't bother to "read the manual" so they don't understand the way MFP works, hence the never-ending dicussions about "eating exercise calories".
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't let you choose how fast to lose the weight
    Oh yes it does. The 1200 minimum may get in the way but when you set your goals there re at least three weight loss rates to choose from.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.acsm.org/about-acsm/media-room/acsm-in-the-news/2011/08/01/metabolism-is-modifiable-with-the-right-lifestyle-changes says ....

"According to ACSM guidelines, women should eat at least 1,200 calories per day, and men should eat at least 1,800."

They also say "Exercise recommendations can be met through 30-60 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise (five days per week) or 20-60 minutes of vigorous-intensity exercise (three days per week)" although they have a vested interest so wider research may be appropriate.
  • Symphony2
    Symphony2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Regardless of your weight loss requirements, 1200 cals/day is the lowest you can conceivably go on a 'balanced' diet and lose weight while remaining healthy - in other words, if you eat fewer than 1200 calories/day you will always be missing out on vital vitamins, minerals or will be in protein deficit ..... any of which will have repercussions for your health in the long run. If you have loads of weight to lose it's absolutely ok to go more slowly and eat MORE calories - but never FEWER! Having said that, it's not ALL about the calories - you can eat 1200 cals/day of carbohydrate and you'll end up very ill, too :( It's all about knowledge and balance. I hope that helps.