Slim Fast Anyone?

Options
Ok, I tried Slim Fast in the past. That was before I knew about BMR and TDEE and eating the proper amount of calories to avoid starvation mode and such. I was thinking about going back on it for breakfast and Ouch and snacks, but keeping a high protein, low.car dinner. Any thoughts or success stories?

Replies

• Mommy2Avaj
    Mommy2Avaj Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I should also mention that when I was on it before, I was trying to stick.with about 1000 calories a day, hence, it didn't work lol.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a fan, and after learning it has liquid wood pulp in it, I've learned to not use it.

I use a protein shake, and make oatmeal breakfasts to 'start me off right'. Or just a classic bowl of cereal and milk.

I learned to 'snack' and portion control, less about having a 'bar', more about having what my body told me it needed.
    So i started to buy greek yogurt containers (I love the voskos the most, its glutine free, and my local Kroger sells it 10 for 10).

For my 'on the go' days, I do have a bar- its the Luna bar series by Cliff. It has less 'I have no idea what that is' chemicals in it, and I trust the substance I put in my body.

Other then that, I try to snack on more not-processed items. Fresh fruits, like for me right now- peaches n strawberries. That with a little bowl of yogurt, and I'm in heaven.
    Or even just a slice of toast with some peanut butter on it.

Popcorn is forgiving, and has the advantage of being a 'hot snack'. Don't forget it.
    By having a warm food, your are mentally and physically more 'statified' then by having colder foods. So things like a warm cup of tea, can reduce hunger pangs.

I don't look at the calories over all, but the net worth of calories- this site keeps track of it. So if I work out hard, I'll eat more then on days I don't work out.

Its all about listening to yourself.
  • Mommy2Avaj
    Options
    Oh wow. Did not know about wood pulp. Ewww. Protein shakes, a great idea. I have no idea where to start tho. Never had one. Maybe a trip to the health food store is in order....
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I've never really tried it, but I don't think it will teach good eating habits and learning to eat the right foods. But, as I say, I have never tried it so not really an expert lol.
  • NicNac86
    NicNac86 Posts: 130
    Options
    I actually had some success with doing just as you suggest.

Breakfast : shake

AM snack

Lunch: shake

PM snack

600-700 cal dinner

But I got bored of it. Part of my problem is that I kinda like not planning things, and this is my downfall. I lost about 10 lbs while doing it though (about a month properly). Pretty sure I would've lost more if I'd stuck with it!
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Options
    I personally like the genuine muscle milk- because its lactose free (I have problems with the lac'). Most krogers and publix's have them for reasonible prices (either mixed in bottles/box containers or a jar of powder and just add water).

Picking good snacks and learning your food is the key to weight loss

tumblr_lxg88nO1BN1qeun3do1_500.jpg
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it, but my BFF has. She's lost around 6 stone (84lb) and kept ot off for about 2 years now using SlimFast. Due to health problems she get checked out by her Dr every month & so far he's very happy with all the test results.

But, even now when she's at her goal weight & has been there for so long, she's still drinking the Slimfast for 2 meals instead of having real food. Shes scared that she'll start gaining if she starts to eat normally.
  • craigking
    craigking Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have two Herbalife protein shakes a day and a healthy evening meal (mostly :tongue: ) with healthy snacks through the day, and lots of water!

You should make sure that your breakfast is the best you can have, high in protein low in carbs, don't forget a glass of water. Weight loss is about getting your mind to live in a body that is 30lbs(or whatever you goal is) lighter, that way the results will remain.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got!
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Options
    Shes scared that she'll start gaining if she starts to eat normally.

This statement alone is why people need to learn food.
    By learning your food, learning your portions, you don't find that 'risk'.
  • Mommy2Avaj
    Options
    I would be happy to get into drinking protein shakes. I jes don't know anything at all about them. Soy, whey....I'm lost lol. I do have a local GNC store. Maybe they can give me some pointers.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I used to drink them all the time when I was a kid because they tasted good.

Maybe thats why I got fat. mmm, slimfast...
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Check out the blog www.heandsheeatclean.com, I think they touch on protein powders for shakes and break down the differences between soy, whey, etc.

I love Slim Fast. I just like the taste. I used to have one now and then when my grandma used them. Then one time I started drinking one every morning for breakfast, not necessarily to lose weight, but to have a decent breakfast because I don't always. The aspartame gives me migraines so after two weeks I finally figured it out and haven't touched one since. I don't think it did anything for me in the weight loss category.