Dreamfields pasta confusion

Options
Okay, I have here a box of pasta elbows by Dreamfields, and I'm not sure what to make of this.

On the back it says:
"Dreamfields' patent pending formula and unique manufacturing process creates a matrix within the pasta, protecting 31 grams of carbohydrates from being digested."

Then it lists:
Total carbs: 41
Fiber: -5
Protected carbs: -31
Digestible carbs: 5

The nutrition facts lists 190 calories, 1g fat, 7g protein and 41g carbs. So:
1g fat x 9 cal/gm = 9 calories
7g protein x 4 cal/gm = 28 calories
41g carbs x 4 cal/gm = 164 calories
TOTAL calories = 201 (close to the stated 190)

It also lists 5 grams of fiber.

But, if you are supposed to SUBTRACT fiber grams from the carbs (and by extension, calories), then with these new "protected carbs" I should subtract them too, right? So I would get:

1g fat x 9 cal/gm = 9 calories
7g protein x 4 cal/gm - 28 calories
41g carbs x 4 cal/gm = 164 calories
5g fiber x 4cal/gm = -20 calories
31g "protected carbs" x 4 cal/gm = -124 calories
TOTAL calories = 57 calories????? (9 + 28+ 164 - 20 - 124 = 57)

Can that really be right?

Mike

Replies

• Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I eat this once in a while -
    I just count 190 calories, 5 g carbs, 1 g fat per serving. The trouble is just having one serving! :huh:
  • visiologist
    Options
    Yes but if your body is not digesting the carbs, it cannot make use of the energy (calories) from them.

Right? :ohwell:

Mike
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    That sounds sketchy, no offense.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Wow. The science behind this really does seem kind of sketchy. But let me preface this by saying that any time someone begins messing with molecular structure I get a little nervous. This may be the greatest thing since sliced bread - but it makes me anxious.

Here is an excellent article about this pasta by David Mendosa who lives with diabetes. He authors magazine articles for a living, but has kept this much respected blog about living with Diabetes for years. He's looked into this brand of pasta, and it's really worth the read.

http://www.mendosa.com/dreamfields_pasta.htm
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I like Dreamfields and both my guy and I use it. Our blood sugar does't spike afterwards. I count the full nutritional ingredients, not 'net' anything.

If you're looking for a carb energy boost, this might not be the best product based on the Mendosa blog Kurneckc posted. But it's great for those of us who love us some pasta but pasta hates us.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Stormi. I believe counting the full nutritional value is the way to go!!!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    The pasta is coated with inulin which the body does not digest, so that is why it only has 5 impact carbs.

I eat on occasion, it is one of the few processed foods that I do have on occasion. My husband likes it and I make it and toss it with stir fry veggies and make an alfredo sauce and grilled chicken or take fresh italian sausage, make pasta sauce with it..........

I eat a salad along with it too.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    July24L-
    How many carbs in DF do you count?
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    July24L-
    How many carbs in DF do you count?

5 grams of impact(effective) carbs.