Substituting a meal with soup anyone??

Options
Hi All

I just wondered if anyone was substituting a meal (either lunch or dinner) with soup instead? I am doing this at the moment at lunch time with “skinny” soups and I was just curious if anyone else is doing the same? Or whether this helped anyone lose more weight? Any comments are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I sometimes have soup for dinner along with a salad, however I'm doing it because I really don't like to cook every night. Sometimes its just too much of a chore to cook for one. I am losing weight, I've only been doing this about 2 weeks though.
  • ElizmaKnowles
    Options
    Hi - I have soup and a small bread roll for lunch for convenience more than anything else as I then do not have to worry about packed lunch.....and I find that especially in winter it is very satisfying to have, almost like comfort food.
    Have not tried it purely for weight loss but a lunch like this is typically around 300-350kcals
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Is soup not a meal?
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Don't know what type of soup you eat but soups are meals at my house. Soups rich in vegetables and protein and I have a small serving of bread/crackers on the side... yummmm I love soups
  • roberta65
    roberta65 Posts: 31
    Options
    All the time
  • mbmommy3
    mbmommy3 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been eating 100 calorie soups for lunch & have been shedding the pounds! I also only eat the serving size (1 cup).
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    I did that for a while, love skinny soup very filling and low on cals, but watch out for the high sodium levels
  • heatherterp
    heatherterp Posts: 239
    Options
    I had soup the other day. French onion. It was what I was craving for dinner. The cheese and crutons cause it to be about 300 calories. I guess I should have just had 1/2 the amount, but it was Mmmm Mmmm good :)
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    In the wintertime I have soup for lunch at work. Not to substitute just because I love soup and it's easy to bring to the office. I'm a big fan of the V8 soups my favorite is butternut squash. I also make a homemade South Beach tomato soup.

Tomato soup
    1 can diced tomatoes
    2 cups V8 juice
    seasoning ( basil, garlice red pepper or whatever else you like)
    Bring it to a boil and the blend and YUMMY!
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    yes i do this along with a salad and no bread...making your own soup is brilliant...i could live on it..homemade veg soup without any potatoes/starch is best...best fopr me anyway :0)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    if soup for a meal helps you stay within your caloric deficit and meet your macros, you could eat nothing but soup if you wanted to
  • denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Why not? Soup is a great meal! I had some for dinner yesterday in fact. :-p

Just be wary of the canned kinds if you're not making your own. They tend to have excess sodium that could cause water retention.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I just wondered if anyone was substituting a meal (either lunch or dinner) with soup instead? I am doing this at the moment at lunch time with “skinny” soups and I was just curious if anyone else is doing the same? Or whether this helped anyone lose more weight? Any comments are greatly appreciated!

Soup IS a meal. If I want a dessert, I usually eat soup and salad for dinner. I am careful relative to the sodium content. I like to make My own soup, but if I am pushed, I will eat can with lower sodium. I have just gotten into Crock Pot cooking (it's wonderful for soups, stews, chili, dry beans...)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    No one can tell me that a bowl of beef PHO isn't a meal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Often have soup at lunch in the colder months, as warming. Homemade, with loads of veggies. Yum. Indeed just had soup for lunch with a bread roll.

I am playing squash later so know I can afford the carbs in the bread. But it is a meal, not a snack, so aim for 300-400 for lunch anyway.
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Oh I love soup and quite often have it as a meal (either lunch or dinner). I usually make my own to avoid the high-sodium count of shop-bought soups.
    I'm low-carbing so instead of having bread with it I will sometimes add a little shredded chicken or bacon croutons for some added protein.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Don't know what type of soup you eat but soups are meals at my house. Soups rich in vegetables and protein and I have a small serving of bread/crackers on the side... yummmm I love soups

This...I usually make my own soups, I'm a clean eater and want to know exactly what I'm eating, but it's soooo easy to just throw together a rich hearty, complete meal in a big pot and have lunches for several days. I usually make a pot every weekend and freeze it in pint freezer jars, then take a jar out, pop it in my lunch tote, at lunch I just pop the jar in the microwave and voila...lunch!
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have soup everyday for lunch. I typically make a double batch on the weekend and freeze half for later down the road. I usually have a few batches in the freezer at any given time.

I found that salads do NOT satify me. I get alot of recipes from magazines & I try to keep the serving under 350 calories:smile:
    It's working for me.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Eating soups for lunch can help you lose weight as most varieties are lower calorie and can provide many nutrients. It is also a better option than high-fat choices from fast food restaurants, etc. If you enjoy soup for lunch, then go for it! Things to watch for in soups are ones that are high in sodium, low in vegetables, and are 'creamy', which probably translates to high in fat. I hope this helps!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Absolutely ..... soup is a meal !

I make large batches of broth-based soups (versus cream-based) and portion some for the freezer ...... it's just the ticket on those late nights ..... very comforting ..... I also order soup as a starter when eating out ...... it's filling ..... and my stomach must be shrinking, cuz now I need to take 1/2 the entree home :drinker: