Help!

Options
Hey I started my fitness adventure today.... I have struggled always in finding time to exercise at home and the gym is not an option atm due to finances. I was hoping some of you could help me find some exercises I can do at home for 20 mins a day, preferably for free. (I suck at this stuff, I just don't know where to start) I have been promised a copy of 30 day shred on monday and will start that as soon as it gets here, probably doing one day on one day off, but I have no idea where I can start today, and what I can do on my in between days. Can anyone help me?

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Well, for starters, I would google "exercises I can do at home"... there will be pics to show you what things are.

With that said, things you can do at home:

sit ups
    push ups
    squats
    lunges
    tricep dips on a chair
    any type of dumbbell exercise (shoulder press, chest press, bent over rows, bicep curls, etc... ). No dumbbells, use soup cans, milk jugs filled with water, whatever you have lying around that has weight.
    Run in place
    Jumping jacks
    Go for a walk
    Go for a jog
    planks
    reverse crunches

I could really go on all day. Google is your friend.

There is always time and there are no excuses.

Do you have a YMCA near you? They offer income based gym memberships at all locations.
  • Becka_D89
    Becka_D89 Posts: 60
    Options
    With a 3 year old in tow the gym is not an option, also with a 3 year old to think of, time is short. I'm hoping to get into a routine of getting some good workout time in the evening once he's in bed, leaving me free to exercise without distraction. I will certainly check Google for things to do, I don't know why that didn't occur to me before. Thank you for your reply :)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Hi

If you are in the uk have a look at the '10 minute solution' dvds on Amazon ( i have also seen them cheap in the supermarket) - they are quite cheap and as they say can be done in 10 minutes. I have about 8 different ones and do different ones.

I'm in a similar situation with an almost 2 year old - I sometimes fit one in while she is watching In the night garden or having a snack.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    With a 3 year old in tow the gym is not an option, also with a 3 year old to think of, time is short. I'm hoping to get into a routine of getting some good workout time in the evening once he's in bed, leaving me free to exercise without distraction. I will certainly check Google for things to do, I don't know why that didn't occur to me before. Thank you for your reply :)

Most gyms have childcare these days. Just letting you know that in case you weren't aware.

Stop saying there's not enough time. Your profile says it also. There is plenty of time. Loads of it.... YOU have to make it a priority in your life.
  • Becka_D89
    Options
    Thanks! I've stuck a couple 10 minutes solutions on my bookmark list, will order them when I can. I'm trying to get set up now while I'm still motivated to do it. :)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    Most gyms have childcare these days. Just letting you know that in case you weren't aware.

Stop saying there's not enough time. Your profile says it also. There is plenty of time. Loads of it.... YOU have to make it a priority in your life.
    [/quote]

It depends on where you live - I live in a major city and not found one gym that offers childcare and I have looked.
  • Becka_D89
    Options
    I used to volunteer at my local YMCA gym, and they don't offer childcare, I checked already. Just one of those things I guess, but now I'm motivated to get it done I will be making time to work out. All I needed was motivation :)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    Also walking is a great way to get fit and its free.
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If you have access to some space near wherever your pc is located you can also find a wealth of ten to thirty minuet workouts on YouTube. I stared off with an easy low impact workout that dose not need much room and takes twenty minuets. Here's a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC_UG8yVGOw&feature=channel&list=UL hopefully that helps a little :)
  • sandyinsc
    sandyinsc Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    YOUTUBE!! Find a workout that intrigues you and go for it! POP Pilates is a butt-kicker and there's also Jillian Michaels.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Push a stroller at a quick pace and you will burn at least 100 calories per mile.
    I have a grandson that loves when we go for walks and he is always telling me to go faster.. so sometimes I jog while pushing him...... Always time to walk if you can take your child with you!!!
  • Becka_D89
    Options
    I will add youtube to my evening computer search tonight, see if i can find something i like :)
  • Becka_D89
    Options
    my son doesn't have a push chair any more, but we do try to go out and walk as often as we can, will have to start making a point of daily walks, come to think about it I have a HUGE field right next to my house I can run the track occasionally too. :)
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Some of the strange things I do during the day - I'm up @ 5:30, home round 6pm, never hit the bed before midnight.... i understand never having time.

While brushing teeth - do squats, leg lifts, side lunges in the mirror.
    Leave something you use often at the other end of the house/building/office - LEAVE it there & you will walk back & forth several times a day.
    If you do "smoke breaks - even if NOT smoking - go walk, even if it's in circles (and yes, I have done this at work and everybody looks at me funny).
    Get a balance ball for a chair - bounce, wiggle, roll around. When my back hurts & i can't use it, i pull my chair close enough to my desk and brace my feet and bounce on 2 legs.
    While at home if I', playing video games - i do housework or i stand in front of the tv and do squats, leg lifts, side lunges.

Every little bit can help. :)
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    netflix and hulu have workout routines. You can go to the library and check out some dvd's. Even some health books have pages with pictures of routines in them. If you can spare a few bucks target has the "Walk away the Pounds" videos. You can do it in your living room and it breaks up easy. 10 minutes in the am, 10 in the afternoon and so on. They are about 10-13 bucks. Also, SELF magazine and self.com have printable workouts. Good luck.