Thinking calories

RecliningFigure
RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
OK, so I know that thinking doesn't really burn calories. But when I'm sitting at my computer furiously composing a lecture, and working my butt off trying to come up with the most interesting, or something that will catch my student's interest... I am exhausted afterwards. I'm told, I only burn 3 extra calories compared to someone who's say, watching T.V. for 45 minutes. So my exhaustion is a phantom exhaustion? I read somewhere that it has to do with glucose levels. But still, even if I resentfully accept this intellectually, physically and emotionally I still don't think it's true. My exhaustion is real. Just try grading 100 papers with the same mistakes, over and over again until your back is killing you, it is not the same as watching T.V. for 8-10 hours (which is how long it takes me to grade 100 papers). OK, so I'm just ranting now. Still I am interested in what others think about thinking and calories.

Replies

• ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    I read the other day you burn 110 calories per hour thinking. Maybe I should go back and get my doctorate?
  • I found this in the Scientific American:
    "...because glucose fuels the neurons, a transitory low level in the brain may signal the stomach to get the hands to fill up the mouth, even though the energy actually spent has gone up just a hair. The researchers note that such “caloric overcompensation following intellectual work, combined with the fact that we are less physically active when doing intellectual tasks, could contribute to the obesity epidemic.” :grumble:

So that's why I get hungrier and tired! >_< W/e thinking is good for my brain haha and for getting a good job in the future (eventually). :laugh:

Source: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=science-of-snacks-thinking-makes-you-hungry
  • Your brain definitely needs extra calories to function. I feel the same way after sitting at the computer for hours...doing homework. It can be really exhausting. I just got an idea! I will try to wear a heart rate monitor tomorrow during one of my extensive research papers and see how many calories I actually burn vs. regular daily activity. I did notice that when doing homework or studying I am hungry more....interesting.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    When I went to college I could eat huge amounts without gaining weight. Of course it may have had something to do with the fact that the college was on top of a hill and I didn't own a car at the time :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • This is why I'm upping my fats and proteins in preparation for better eating habits during the school semester!
    Good fats = brain power! :drinker:
  • I found this in the Scientific American:
    "...because glucose fuels the neurons, a transitory low level in the brain may signal the stomach to get the hands to fill up the mouth, even though the energy actually spent has gone up just a hair. The researchers note that such “caloric overcompensation following intellectual work, combined with the fact that we are less physically active when doing intellectual tasks, could contribute to the obesity epidemic.” :grumble:

So that's why I get hungrier and tired! >_< W/e thinking is good for my brain haha and for getting a good job in the future (eventually). :laugh:

Source: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=science-of-snacks-thinking-makes-you-hungry

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=science-of-snacks-thinking-makes-you-hungry
    Sorry this is the FULL article.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    I found this in the Scientific American:

OMG, I actually am in this boat!! this is hilarious :laugh: :laugh: wait I mean :sad: :sad:
  • RecliningFigure
    Your brain definitely needs extra calories to function. I feel the same way after sitting at the computer for hours...doing homework. It can be really exhausting. I just got an idea! I will try to wear a heart rate monitor tomorrow during one of my extensive research papers and see how many calories I actually burn vs. regular daily activity. I did notice that when doing homework or studying I am hungry more....interesting.

I'd be interested in the results of your experiment.
  • RecliningFigure
    This is why I'm upping my fats and proteins in preparation for better eating habits during the school semester!

I read somewhere that tofu is really good for memory (that is if you have any memorizing to do for your classes).
  • bump to read in the morning......
  • This is why I'm upping my fats and proteins in preparation for better eating habits during the school semester!

I read somewhere that tofu is really good for memory (that is if you have any memorizing to do for your classes).

Tofu has a great carb, fat, protein ratio. I believe it's like 4, 4, 7 (depends on the brand too). I <3 soy (only unrefined soy though). My mom has memory problems. I believe that the #1 reason for her short-term memory problems is the extremely lack of FATS in her diet. She won't even touch fats (good or bad), because she believes they will make her fat (which is totally wrong). I believe she also doesn't get enough protein (doesn't eat nuts, beans, or a lot of meat or seafood) and gets in a lot of carbs. I tell her that if she doesn't get the minimal amount necessary for proper BRAIN FUNCTION, she will continue on that road. She still doesn't believe me...:grumble:. And now I'm ranting...
This discussion has been closed.