Triggers to "Cheat"??

Options
I've been serious about losing weight for about a week now and this morning I woke up very cranky and impulsively went to McDonalds and had a steak egg and cheese bagel (710 calories). It tasted great and I feel less cranky! But I'm trying slim fast this week (curious to see how it works) so it was a small failure but I'm ok with that just going to be extra diligent the rest of the day...Does anyone else have a trigger or "must do" occassionally weakness?

Replies

• tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Beer gets me all the time when I go out to eat with friends or am at the bowling alley for league night =-(
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    About once a month or so I treat myself to a blizzard, candy bar, or frozen yogurt. Each night, I have a small treat under 200 cals or so, and about once a month I go out to eat. :)
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    When I'm ill and lazy, just can't be bothered to cook anything so I just stick food in microwaves or the oven that doesn't take that long. That and I enjoy a drink at the pub with my family lol.
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    When my children are driving me C-R-A-Z-Y!!!!!!
  • alharbour
    alharbour Posts: 116 Member
    Options

THIS!!
  • rainwalkerSK
    Options
    Beer or mixed drinks when out with friends. I have a company baseball outing this evening, and it's pretty much expected that everyone is supposed to drink themselves stupid (that's the kind of company I work at....). I've got my day planned out so that I've got room for a couple of beers.
  • losingitincollege
    losingitincollege Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Beer gets me all the time when I go out to eat with friends or am at the bowling alley for league night =-(

This and mixed drinks. My triggers are mostly school-related anxieties (worrying about exams, stressing over assignments, failing, etc.)

Sad day. -_-
  • kathygail86
    Options
    This time around, I haven't had so much trouble with this phenomena but in the past a trigger to cheat would be when some normal sweet thing would come across my path and this evil, small voice would say, for example, "This may be the last time you'll EVER get to eat a chocolate chip cookie." Sounds crazy but it would let me give myself permission to indulge this ONE time. Of course, if that happens several times a day, then, you're not making any progress with decreasing empty calorie intake.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    The weekends in general are triggers for me to cheat! I don't know why I think weekends are a free for all? :(
  • kathygail86
    Options
    Beer or mixed drinks when out with friends. I have a company baseball outing this evening, and it's pretty much expected that everyone is supposed to drink themselves stupid (that's the kind of company I work at....). I've got my day planned out so that I've got room for a couple of beers.

I've found that this strategy has helped me a lot since I started really using MFP a couple of months ago. Planning for those potential scenarios of overindulgence helps keep the damage to a minimum :).
  • ColleenAtherton
    ColleenAtherton Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My biggest trigger is stress. The way I used to deal with stress was by hiding out in my house, being a lazy bum and eating junk. I still struggle with those feelings (especially right now...my husband has been off work with an injury this past 1.5 weeks and we found out last night he'll need to have surgery w/a 4 week long recovery which means no work or paycheck until mid-July at the earliest!) but I'm working on it!
  • juliegin
    juliegin Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter, Cereal, Ice Cream...watch out!
  • redhd_n_nc
    redhd_n_nc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    After a long day of work and taking care of the family, I love to watch tv and drink wine. Well the wine makes me want to nibble. So I am only allowing myself to drink wine a couple days a week and not snack. But ooooohhhhh how I enjoy this ritual after a hard day. I do not want to completely deny myself, but know that it add unwanted weight.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Definitely drinking. Luckily I have a tiny baby and have very little social life, so this doesn't occur often. But if I'm at a friend's house for a party or something it really sucks having to decide if I should drink or eat something delish that I wouldn't normally eat. And when I do drink it's usually vodka and club soda, so I don't feel too too bad. So far I've been really good at staying within my limits, though, and haven't done anything I really regret. I also have some sort of 100-200ish calorie snack every evening, so I don't feel deprived. Whether it's popcorn or mini rice cakes or trail mix or even a scoop of nutella. I'm a snacker, and I fit that into my normal daily routine.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    PMS and being drunk. Both make me crave salty foods and chocolate. Being hungover the next day usually makes me want salty food and breads.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    I have a pop every now and then.

A small one is I occasional put some sugar in my coffee.

every few weeks I might have some chocolate.

Or just make a meal in general that I have no concern of the calories and just eat and enjoy.
  • busygirl1
    busygirl1 Posts: 217
    Options

and me!
  • gamblett
    gamblett Posts: 7
    Options
    Definitely stress. I have a little vioce in my head saying hey if you eat something fatty and delicious you'll feel better.
  • Sheila4046
    Sheila4046 Posts: 28
    Options
    Definately my glass of red wine in the evenings after work. Trying not to drink wine during the week. But when start of the weekend Friday evening come, look out and let the wine drinking and snacking begin especially if the husband order/or rent movies.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Life just wouldn't be worth living without an ocassional craving satisfied.

If I get enough Protein and Fat, and stay away from sugar and grains, I have surprisingly few cravings anymore.