Hip Pain

Options
Yes, I know that I should probably go see a doctor, but I was hoping that someone might have some advice first.

I took up running back in October and I love it! The last month or so, I have had a pain in my left hip. At first I thought it felt like the hip socket, like bone scraping on bone, but then it started kind of hurting like a bruise if I touched it in a particular spot. Now, it almost feels better if I apply light pressure while I walk or step up onto a curb, or even stairs. I don't notice it so much when I'm running or on the elliptical, and never when I'm sitting, but when I get up from sitting (especially in the car), it hurts like heck before I get it stretched out some.

Before I noticed the pain, I went from running on the street to joining a gym and doing the elliptical, treadmilly and weights. Also I about this time, my good Asics split and I bought a new, cheaper pair, but have realized the reason they were cheaper is they are heavier, not so much for running as just wearing.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than stop running (I didn't like that suggestion when my husband told me)? Is it possible my shoes?

Thanks. :smile:

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    First thing I would do is go to a specialty running store and get fitted for the proper shoes. Then some easy running with ice and ibuprofen to address the painful spot. And stretching.
  • loosinglaura
    Options
    Go to the Dr!! You could have bursitis or be devloping arthritis - if either of these are going on you want to know so that you can avoid bigger complications.
  • Great post.

I am 23 and started running 4 yrs ago. My hip started hurting within the first 6 months. Left hip, as well. IT definitely feels like a bruise when I touch it and can feel it when I wake up. I did not stop running, I also, did not like that suggestion. I have just dealt with it, knowing that I will most likely regret it in my years to come.

I have noticed increased pain the next day after running on the treadmill. Have no idea why, but interested.
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bursitis....I have it and waited a long time before I went to the doc because I didnt want anyone to tell me stop excersizing now that it is a regular part of my life. She gave me some stretches to do and said to take some pain reliever when I need it...also I try to avoid sleeping on that side.

I tried to learn to be a jogger but that seems to set if off more than anything..so I bike, walk, swim and I listen to my body. If it gets bad I back off a for a few days and that seems to help.

I find it more of an annoying pain than anything
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I had problems very similar to this many years ago and my chiropractor told me to stop using the elliptical as it moves your body in a way that isn't natural (like, if you picture how you run, an elliptical is a different movement. So..there's not impact like running on the street, but for some people that particular movement can cause issues.) I wish I could remember what she called it to be able to tell you, all i know is I sold my elliptical and while I will still occasionally have a problem when going from sitting to standing up (it feels like my hip is stuck between popping and not popping) it is very infrequent since i've stopped with the elliptical, maybe that's an issue for you too?
  • lizzielou67
    Options
    Get to a orthopedic doctor. I have had hip "problems/pain" for many years (before I ever strated my healthy lifestyle). I just dealt with it.

A couple of months ago, I decided to try interval training and jogged on the tredmill in between walking.

One of my knees and my hips were in terrible pain (AFTER I got done, not while I was jogging/walking). I went to see a sports medicine orthopedic doc and found out that my hip flexors, my quads, my hamstrings, and a tendon in my knee are "crap." They are so tight and knotted that I shouldn't be walking at this point. My back is also affected and has been "sore" for years as well.

She was surprised that I was dealing with it for years and glad that I tried jogging to get in to see her. I'm now doing PT once a week with exercises and stretching homework.

The goal is to get those muscles corrected to their right length and strength and then I can go back to jogging. It's going to take a while.

To make a long story short (too late!), hip flexors do A LOT and if they are goofed up, they need to be fixed. Check it out. If worst come to worst, they will tell you that you are fine and need some new stretches and some strengthing.

Good luck and I hope you can get an answer and get rid of your pain !!