Weight Lifting = Gain Weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• jones137
    jones137 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like I need to eat more......that actually sounds pretty good. I guess I'm just afraid to eat more and stop my momentum but I guess it is a journey and not a race.
  • jones137
    Options
    if you want a swimmer type body... you should swim more.

I tried......I just sink.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Another vote for compound movements that involve as much total body effort as possible. Not only is this the most efficient it also is best to trigger the right fat burning responses in your body. If working out at home; pushups, pullups, squats, crunches. At the gym; squat, bench press, pullups, crunches, deadlift (done correctly!) The number of sets and reps depends upon the weight you are using. For bodyweight you can start with 3 sets and the reps need to be done where the last set is extremely hard to finish but possible to finish. Like; 20, 20, 20. As you progress you might pyramid down like; 30, 25, 20 and so on. For max weights at the gym I would do 3 sets of 5 on squats, bench and deadlift. What you adjust here would be the weights used. Pullups are a whole different animal. I usually do 3-4 sets. The great thing is that as your weight goes down your pullups are easier. For variation sandbag work is a lot of fun and can burn fat fast. It really helps to have a workout buddy for any of this. You will do more with a workout partner than by yourself. It is also good to have your form observed and critiqued. My experience has been that sticking to bodyweight exercises, though not popular to the gym business, per se, has allowed me to sculpt towards a "swimmer's" type of body and has allowed me to burn fat much better than when I was doing 5x5 heavy squats, deadlifts, etc... But, that's just me. I know plenty of friends who burned fat blazingly fast by doing heavy work at the gym. So, some of it is a matter of finding out what works best for you.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

then maybe you should strive for a different body type... if u want to look like a swimmer u have to swim, if you want to look like a bodybuilder you have to bodybuild, if u want to look like a gymnast you have to do gymnast calisthenic exercises, if you want to look like a sprinter you have to do sprints... its just how it works for the most part.
  • jones137
    Options
    Sorry, forget about how sarcasm works on the internet..........it doesn't.

I plan on doing some swimming.....use to swim 3-4 days a week.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

LMAO!! You and I are in the same (leaking) boat!. I figure it makes swimming more effective for me, because I have MOVE if I'm not going to sink. I watch some of the older people in the other lanes and they are gracefully gliding back and forth and very slow speeds, meanwhile I'm splashing around like a crazy man and moving at sprint speed just so I can stay on top of the water. My swims basically turn into HIIT whether I want them to or not.

But the guy makes a solid point. If you want a swimmer's physique then do lots of swimming. If I someone wanted a ballerina's body we wouldn't tell her to start deadlifting just like someone that wants to look like a Olympic sprinter shouldn't be doing marathons.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Sorry, forget about how sarcasm works on the internet..........it doesn't.

I plan on doing some swimming.....use to swim 3-4 days a week.

by you saying you just sink... i knew you were being sarcastic about sinking, yet still literally implying that you dont like to swim hence my comment.
  • jones137
    Options
    Thanks for al the suggestions. Joined the gym last night night and did my first 45 minutes of strength training in a longggg time......crazy sore today but drinking a bunch of water and getting plenty of protein. Back tonight for lower body and a personal fitness assessment from a personal trainer.......that should be interesting.