Does Anyone Else Eat Way Less During the Summer?

Options
Hi,

Since it's gotten hotter out here I've been noticing I am having less and less trouble staying within my calorie limit, and for the past week I have been netting below 1200 calories (I know... bad). I'm just wondering if anyone else loses their appetite during the summer.

Thanks!

Replies

• leelafit_mtl
    leelafit_mtl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I remember that I used to eat less during summer... In Beijing. Well, at least less fatty food, and drank more alcohol hihi
    Back in Canada, I do eat less than during winter, but still 1200 and over...

Try to aim 1200 at least!
  • losingthehealthyway
    Options
    For students, I think summer break makes a difference. I usually find it's easier to lose weight when I don't have as many things to worry about. For one, I have more time to focus on my eating habits. For two (this is the big one for me), less stress means less emotional eating. Too bad for me, since I'm taking two classes this summer. :laugh:

The only other thing I can think of is that during summer, lighter foods are generally on the menu. Heavy foods prevail during fall and winter. And spring isn't quite bikini season yet, so people aren't as concerned about their eating. When summer hits, though, restaurants and shops take advantage of the weight loss craze by selling lighter foods. Maybe the cultural shifts throughout the seasons spill over to everyone. Or maybe I'm just overthinking this! Oh well. Just my two cents.
  • scubachick2287
    Options
    I eat way less in the summer probably because I am outside in the grueling Florida heat everyday for workouts, lawn care, etc. Eating a heavy meal after being outside makes me sick. Actually eating anything that is warm makes me feel sick. I also drink more water to keep me cool so I am sure that helps with my apetite. I lost 30lbs last summer once I leanred to embrace the heat and get moving outside. Most of my neighbors and friends won't go outside much less workout (outside) because it is so hot, but in my experience it is highly effective for weight loss.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I have the exact opposite issue! LOL!

I struggle from april to june every year. Once the weather warms up - festival season comes and frankly I just do a lot more activities and consume more. I generally have a pretty big stall out during this time. I am not gaining but I am losing at an extremely SLOW rate.

Now fall - I eat a ton less.
  • somuchsolittle
    Options
    I've been thinking about this lately, too. It's kind of a struggle to eat, and I've been "cheating" with things like sago. I'm just not very hungry when it's hot. I end up drinking my calories and then snacking throughout the day.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Without tightly controlling my diet, I tend to eat more during the Summer, but I have weird allergies and they make me hungry as well as completely inactive.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Definitely, I don't have much of an appetite when it's hot
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    don't get me wrong, i still eat :) but yes, i think as a whole we eat less in summer and it isn't so much about wanting/needing to look good. i welcome someone who knows the science behind it, but when it's cold in fall and winter, we load up on carbs to give us energy and keep us "warm" so to speak. in the summer, there isn't that need to "hibernate" so i'm guessing we eat less as a result. this could be a crock(pot) of BS, btw.