Is my weight loss goal realistic and achievable?

Options
After an injury last year my weight crept up to just under 18stone/ 252 pounds. I'm now finally recovered enough to do some light exercise and adopt a healthy diet. I'm currently using the MFP Android App which so far is great and seemingly keeping me on track. However I wanted some opions if what I'm doing is realistic to reach my goals?
At present I'm eating three meals a day with no snacking. For breakfast I usually have two microwave poached eggs or a small cup of porridge oats with water. Lunch is either fish (tinned tuna in springwater or brine), chicken or turkey (baked) with either a salad or white rice. The evening meal is also either fish, chicken or turkey either with some salad or white rice or baked potato. I normally add a spoonful or two of extra light mayo to a salad (36 cals) and a small amount of low fat spread to the potato.

I do some light exercise at the moment which normally involves a two mile brisk walk per day.

My goal is to reach my original weight of 14 stone/ 196 pounds by Nov/ Dec 2012 (my diet started on 4th June 2012). I'm male and my height is 5' 11".

The App indicates that if I stick to that outlined above it would be possible to acheive this but I wanted to know from some actual humans (who might have done something similar) if it is realistic or if I need to tinker with anything?

All help and advice is appreciated.

Thanks

(Sorry - I realise I've posted this in another forum too [Food & Nutrition] but did so accidentally and I'm unsure how to delete the original)

Replies

• missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    If you intake around 1400-1600 calories a day and exercise regularly you can lose your 50lbs by your desired date.

check out this link it's a calculator you can play with to give you approximate weight loss dates. http://calculators.fattyweightloss.com/desiredweight
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    so 58 lbs in 6 months, I did 52 in 6 months so yes it is achievable.
  • JAcerz
    JAcerz Posts: 5
    Options
    Is it fat loss or weight loss you're interested in? Let me state it this way, weight loss will have you look skinny fat, and fat loss will have you look great.

I would say, forget the weight loss and concentrate on the fat loss. This would entail training with barbells and dumbells and conditioning work. Nutrition wise, low fat is going to leave you without energy. Carbs should only come in veggies and fruits. Veggies always ahead of fruits. For you, stick with 2 satisfying meals of high good fats and moderate protein and low carbs. If you do greens such as romaine lettuce and spinach and such, you could eat tons of the stuff and still be low carbs. Fruits, I would stick with berries. Good fats are butter, yes butter (unsalted), coconut oil, and olive oil. Protein are meats, plain and simple.

As far as training there are only 2 programs I could recommend which you can take a look at here:

http://realmensworkoutreviews.com/review-of-rusty-moores-visual-impact-muscle-building

http://realmensworkoutreviews.com/review-of-matt-marshalls-how-to-build-a-classic-physique

Congratulations on not snacking that is a huge and not easy step to take. Keep moving forward.

All the best.