PCOS Episode - Help

sincereme
sincereme Posts: 276
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok, so for the past 4 yrs since being diagnosed with PCOS I never had it full blown. I just had the symptoms but never had the cysts in the ovaries. Well, Sunday I began having cramps which turned into pain that didn't go away. It was terrible. I couldn't even walk up the stairs because my right side hurt so bad. Had to run to the ER because I didn't know what was going on. After much blood work and a Catscan it is determined that I have full blown PCOS. I have many little cysts in my Ovaries and one ruptured on Sunday causing the pain and being nauseaus. It just sucks that there isn't much they can do for it. They told me to get Birth Control but I really don't want to deal with BC. I don't like the side effects I get from BC.

I was just wondering if there are any women out there going through this and how do they deal with it?

Replies

• Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Hi there! I'm a fellow PCOS sufferer - mine is not full blown, but I'm taking the steps to help it never get to that point. What is the number one thing your doctor will tell you (besides meds)? Weightloss. :laugh: So you are doing EXACTLY the right thing to make this syndrome easier.

I am not currently on BC (I was before my son was born... and I conceived him while on it. :ohwell: ) I just haven't gone back to the doctor to get a prescription filled, but I've found that weight loss really does lessen the symptoms.

I eat low carb, and that has oddly enough regulated my TOM as well as reducing some unwanted hair issues. :blushing: Be aware that a lot of women (myself included) with PCOS are insulin resistant. Talk to your doctor to see if this could be a possibility. Insulin resistant people eat a lot like diabetics (without the horrible risk of death) and its really working for me!

Hope this helps. PM me anytime! :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • mskellyw
    mskellyw Posts: 111
    I don't have PCOS myself, but I am an acupuncturist who specializes in women's medicine and have treated patients who have it.

I agree with allenhm--weight loss is the very best thing you can do to help manage your symptoms. The insulin resistance advice is spot on too. Many women find that cutting out sugar, processed grains and the like can make a huge difference. You want to be sure to get plenty of fiber and veggies though (esp cruciferous veggies like broccoli and cabbage), because they can help the body rid itself of excess hormones. Many people find a South Beach-type eating plan to be helpful.

If you're interested in supplements, gtf chromium can help your body become more sensitive to insulin. So can the herb gymnema sylvestre. It also helps reduce sugar and carb cravings. The herbs chaste berry (vitex agnus castus) and peony (paeonia lactiflora) can help regulate the hormonal imbalances characteristic of PCOS. A google search of any of these along with PCOS can help you determine correct dosages and places to buy them online. Most health food stores will carry them as well.

Also, you may want to consider seeing a naturopath. They can help monitor you and adjust your herbs accordingly. Many people also find that acupuncture can help. You can find licensed practitioners at NCCAOM.org, or look online for an acupuncture school nearby. They usually offer low-cost clinics where senior students treat patients under the guidance of a licensed practitioner.

Good luck to you and I hope this information helps!
  • sincereme
    sincereme Posts: 276
    Thanks for Sharing. I am actually Insulin Resistant. I am trying to cut the carbs and stuff like that. I've notice that when I do eat lots of carbs my TOM gets all crazy. I've been regular for the past 6 months so thats a plus...yay:happy:
    Hi there! I'm a fellow PCOS sufferer - mine is not full blown, but I'm taking the steps to help it never get to that point. What is the number one thing your doctor will tell you (besides meds)? Weightloss. :laugh: So you are doing EXACTLY the right thing to make this syndrome easier.

I am not currently on BC (I was before my son was born... and I conceived him while on it. :ohwell: ) I just haven't gone back to the doctor to get a prescription filled, but I've found that weight loss really does lessen the symptoms.

I eat low carb, and that has oddly enough regulated my TOM as well as reducing some unwanted hair issues. :blushing: Be aware that a lot of women (myself included) with PCOS are insulin resistant. Talk to your doctor to see if this could be a possibility. Insulin resistant people eat a lot like diabetics (without the horrible risk of death) and its really working for me!

Hope this helps. PM me anytime! :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Ok, so for the past 4 yrs since being diagnosed with PCOS I never had it full blown. I just had the symptoms but never had the cysts in the ovaries. Well, Sunday I began having cramps which turned into pain that didn't go away. It was terrible. I couldn't even walk up the stairs because my right side hurt so bad. Had to run to the ER because I didn't know what was going on. After much blood work and a Catscan it is determined that I have full blown PCOS. I have many little cysts in my Ovaries and one ruptured on Sunday causing the pain and being nauseaus. It just sucks that there isn't much they can do for it. They told me to get Birth Control but I really don't want to deal with BC. I don't like the side effects I get from BC.

I was just wondering if there are any women out there going through this and how do they deal with it?

A natural, whole foods diet, focusing on lowering carbs and limiting grains and other processed foods. Getting adequate rest and exercise along with the eating plan.

That is the best way to control it and the symptoms with out BC.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    I don't have PCOS myself, but I am an acupuncturist who specializes in women's medicine and have treated patients who have it.

I agree with allenhm--weight loss is the very best thing you can do to help manage your symptoms. The insulin resistance advice is spot on too. Many women find that cutting out sugar, processed grains and the like can make a huge difference. You want to be sure to get plenty of fiber and veggies though (esp cruciferous veggies like broccoli and cabbage), because they can help the body rid itself of excess hormones. Many people find a South Beach-type eating plan to be helpful.

If you're interested in supplements, gtf chromium can help your body become more sensitive to insulin. So can the herb gymnema sylvestre. It also helps reduce sugar and carb cravings. The herbs chaste berry (vitex agnus castus) and peony (paeonia lactiflora) can help regulate the hormonal imbalances characteristic of PCOS. A google search of any of these along with PCOS can help you determine correct dosages and places to buy them online. Most health food stores will carry them as well.

Also, you may want to consider seeing a naturopath. They can help monitor you and adjust your herbs accordingly. Many people also find that acupuncture can help. You can find licensed practitioners at NCCAOM.org, or look online for an acupuncture school nearby. They usually offer low-cost clinics where senior students treat patients under the guidance of a licensed practitioner.

Good luck to you and I hope this information helps!

I agree with the naturopath and considering a natural pharmacist. I see both and am on a good treatment for PCOS, diabetes and bi-polar, but with natural herbs and supplements. I also take raw vitamins, not conventional vitamins.
This discussion has been closed.