book: "Die fat or get tough"

astridfeline
astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/32296243#32283780

Here's a video clip from the Today show with the author of this book, "Die fat or get tough". Apparently he gives the tough love about changing one's thinking from the way a fat person thinks to the way a fit person thinks. He does admit that it's tougher in today's society to be fit, but just says you have to be even more mentally tough to stay fit.

Well I guess it's time to stop watching TV and go for my walk :laugh: :laugh:

Replies

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/32296243#32283780

Here's a video clip from the Today show with the author of this book, "Die fat or get tough". Apparently he gives the tough love about changing one's thinking from the way a fat person thinks to the way a fit person thinks. He does admit that it's tougher in today's society to be fit, but just says you have to be even more mentally tough to stay fit.

Well I guess it's time to stop watching TV and go for my walk :laugh: :laugh:

i LOVE the idea of tough love, i give it, so i need to take it. lookin into it right now
  • Shelley130
    Shelley130 Posts: 142
    AWESOME! I'm a very straight forward, brutally honest person so this is exactly what I need to hear.

You can go here to read an excerpt from the book.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/32272548/ns/today-today_books/
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Eh. :) He's trying to be shocking so he can sell his book.

Whatever floats his boat.

I believe in conviction, not condemnation. And while his standpoint is correct in most cases (not all) the point he is trying to make is obscured by the condemning way it's delivered. :-)

The first Boss I ever had in my life always told me "It's not what you say, it's how you say it." Those words from 35 years ago ring true still, today.

The truth said in love is a wonderful thing. It is a precious gift. The truth said in a self righteous or contemptuous way turns to poison. And that alone might be reason for those who need to hear the truth he speaks, never to listen.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Eh. :) He's trying to be shocking so he can sell his book.

Whatever floats his boat.

I believe in conviction, not condemnation. And while his standpoint is correct in most cases (not all) the point he is trying to make is obscured by the condemning way it's delivered. :-)

The first Boss I ever had in my life always told me "It's not what you say, it's how you say it." Those words from 35 years ago ring true still, today.

The truth said in love is a wonderful thing. It is a precious gift. The truth said in a self righteous or contemptuous way turns to poison. And that alone might be reason for those who need to hear the truth he speaks, never to listen.

I think you are missing his point. The book is about becoming mentally tough in order to be a healthier person. He's not trying to sugar coat this for people to make them not feel bad about the habits they have developed. He's trying to wake people up and make them realize that their weight is no one's responsibility but their own. From reading the excerpt, I don't think he is "self righteous or contemptuous." He is straightforward and honest. The truth hurts, period.
This discussion has been closed.