How do you remedy a sweet tooth?

As I sit at my desk at work, I begin to get that feeling that I ought to eat something, not just anything, but something sweet. I peered into the cabinet to find a bag of fun size M&Ms and I think to myself that seems perfect. I ate my teeny bag of M&Ms and come to the realization that that was just enough to satisfy my sweet tooth and for a quick afternoon snack.

So now I wonder, what do others do when they get that sweet tooth feeling?

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    completely ignore the sweet tooth and it goes away almost permanently... spiking blood sugar just makes you hungrier.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    completely ignore the sweet tooth and it goes away almost permanently... spiking blood sugar just makes you hungrier.

This.

Drink a big glass of water when you feel the craving come on. Have a protein snack like tuna or a hard-boiled egg, because what you're seeking is a quick energy source and protein will give you a better one. Make sure you're getting enough sleep, and by that I mean going to bed early enough that you can wake up before your alarm, or without wanting to hit the snooze button. And otherwise, just push through. It might take a few days, but the cravings will subside.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    - Cinnamon gum.
    - Something less sweet and more satisfying/filling
    - Water
    - The understanding that, if you avoid sweet for just a few short days, the cravings for it subside and you start finding that you are overall less hungry and certainly less prone to cravings for food in general.

Eventually, the realization that you just ate two donuts, not because they taste particularly good, but because you needed 500 calories to make up for a deficit due to several days of heavy exercise and they were readily available and had the nutrition you actually needed, but the sugar made you feel kinda icky for a while, so you drank a bunch of water and went for a brisk walk and now most of the deficit is back and you haven't accomplished anything. <-- me, earlier today.