LIfting enough?

Options
A bit about myself - I'm 5'4 and 118lbs. I've been exercising regularly (6 to 7 days a week) since January. I do a minimum of three days of weights with HIIT on the days that I don't lift. On my rest day I do some Yoga or make it an active rest day.

My question pertains to lifting as I am trying to increase muscle mass and maybe lower my body fat percentage to see more defintion. I mostly use 15lbs dumbbells and 35lbs weight plates when doing leg exercises. i hear alot of ppl say you should lift HEAVY but what exactly does that mean.. When using the 15lbs when I do arms/shoulders and back I feel it while doing 3 sets of 12 reps but should I be going to failure? I workout at home only and don't want to go crazy buying weights and then injuring myself because I went too heavy. Advice?

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    A bit about myself - I'm 5'4 and 118lbs. I've been exercising regularly (6 to 7 days a week) since January. I do a minimum of three days of weights with HIIT on the days that I don't lift. On my rest day I do some Yoga or make it an active rest day.

My question pertains to lifting as I am trying to increase muscle mass and maybe lower my body fat percentage to see more defintion. I mostly use 15lbs dumbbells and 35lbs weight plates when doing leg exercises. i hear alot of ppl say you should lift HEAVY but what exactly does that mean.. When using the 15lbs when I do arms/shoulders and back I feel it while doing 3 sets of 12 reps but should I be going to failure? I workout at home only and don't want to go crazy buying weights and then injuring myself because I went too heavy. Advice?

Heavy is commonly a reference to maximal strength training, which is a weight that is between 80% and 100% of your 1RM. StrongLifts 5x5 and Starting Strength are popular methods for beginning weight lifters. These are hard to do at home without the proper equipment. You could download the file or buy the book and maybe see if you can get a trial gym membership to see if you like it. Then sign a membership or invest in the equipment.