I am outraged!

samantha115
samantha115 Posts: 371
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I was watcing a local morning show and they had a plastic surgeon on. The anchor was asking the doctor questions "sent in by viewers." So the question was "I work out all the time and I still cant seem to get rid of my belly fat and my lovehandles. what can I do?" The doctors anwser was " We are all geneticlly enginereed to store fat in different places. The only way to really get rid of that fat is LIPOSUCTION!"

What the f? Ive seen plenty of people on here get rid of tummy and belly fat with out it. Ugh the is so aggervating! Im not going to lie, I thought for a long time that would be the only way but this is much, much better!

Thank you for listening.:smile:

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    He has to promote his work.
    Making people feel unattractive and "less than" increases his business.
    If he destroys hope of achieving a flat stomach (why do we need flat stomachs anyhow?? :huh: ) through diet and exercise, he increases his chances for more business.

Disclaimer: There are some plastic surgeons who do beneficial surgeries. My plastic surgeon did a breast reduction on me, out of medical necessity. He also does breast reconstructions for women with masectomies from cancer. Those are beneficial plastic surgeries, imo.
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    It was an irresponsible answer, although tecnically true.... and here is why:

Once the fat cell is created, it will never go away. When we lose weight, the cells shrink. this is why people can "lose the belly". But our bodies are very good at developing ways to maintain a supply of storage for the future! (silly bodies)

So, the doc is "technically" right, but In my opinion, ethically bankrupt.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member

Once the fat cell is created, it will never go away. When we lose weight, the cells shrink. this is why people can "lose the belly". But our bodies are very good at developing ways to maintain a supply of storage for the future! (silly bodies)

you can lose the fat if you wanted to

Love handles are one of the last places fat stays, but it is very possible to lose it

Also, if you want to lose fat in a certain area, it doesn't work that way, you can't spot reduce

Your body will burn fat and you will lose wherever it gets rid of
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613

Love handles are one of the last places fat stays, but it is very possible to lose it

Also, if you want to lose fat in a certain area, it doesn't work that way, you can't spot reduce

what she saying is we will ALWAYS have fat cells once theyre made...they lose their size but they are technically ALWAYS there....the smaller we make them the flatter our stomachs get.....we can easily get fit and make it seem like we dont have fat cells, but they are still there its a weird process
  • Phoenix_Rising

Nicely said.
  • Fieldsy

what she saying is we will ALWAYS have fat cells once theyre made...they lose their size but they are technically ALWAYS there....the smaller we make them the flatter our stomachs get.....we can easily get fit and make it seem like we dont have fat cells, but they are still there its a weird process

oh okay I was a little lost there I guess :smile:
  • It was an irresponsible answer, although tecnically true.... and here is why:

That is not necessarily true. I work out at least 4-6 times a week with a mix of moderate to intense cardio and strength training. I revamp my programs so I don't get bored and my muscles get bored. In the past if I started gaining weight, I could adjust my diet and workouts and the pounds would fall off. I have a fast metabolism (as it's been tested)...but I've been incurring A LOT OF STRESS (to include hostile) at work and was not able to drop the weight from my belly or my love handles. So please don't make it sound like it's just as easy as putting your mind to it, b/c it hasn't been. I don't like having a belly or love handles and it's not for lack of me trying to get rid of it. Even if you lose the weight in those areas, the fat cells remain and you can gain that weight back in those areas.
  • My feeling is he was still trying to be legitimate. I think he was yes promoting surgery but the main concept of his answer meant you can't spot reduce...so lipo would be the only way.

I definitely don't condone liposuction, I think it's horrible.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    From what I understand, there are a lot of factors that go into where you store fat including genetics and personal medical history so it may not be possible for everyone to get a completely flat stomach without "help". However, his answer was completely irresponsible because he didn't explain any of the contributing factors such as overall body fat and that he really couldn't give a definitive answer without know the individuals history, what exercises they are doing, and so one. By giving a flat out "have liposuction" answer he makes it seem as though NO ONE can get "the perfect stomach" without it. :angry:

It really unethical and misleading!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    My feeling is he was still trying to be legitimate. I think he was yes promoting surgery but the main concept of his answer meant you can't spot reduce...so lipo would be the only way.

I definitely don't condone liposuction, I think it's horrible.

My aunt had lipo in her thighs. It went horribly wrong. She is terribly scarred. :brokenheart:
  • Fieldsy

That is not necessarily true. I work out at least 4-6 times a week with a mix of moderate to intense cardio and strength training. I revamp my programs so I don't get bored and my muscles get bored. In the past if I started gaining weight, I could adjust my diet and workouts and the pounds would fall off. I have a fast metabolism (as it's been tested)...but I've been incurring A LOT OF STRESS (to include hostile) at work and was not able to drop the weight from my belly or my love handles. So please don't make it sound like it's just as easy as putting your mind to it, b/c it hasn't been. I don't like having a belly or love handles and it's not for lack of me trying to get rid of it. Even if you lose the weight in those areas, the fat cells remain and you can gain that weight back in those areas.

I never said it was easy, just said it was possible, which it is

Have you had your body fat % tested? Your diet and workout routine have to be damn near perfect but it is possible.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    I was watcing a local morning show and they had a plastic surgeon on. The anchor was asking the doctor questions "sent in by viewers." So the question was "I work out all the time and I still cant seem to get rid of my belly fat and my lovehandles. what can I do?" The doctors anwser was " We are all geneticlly enginereed to store fat in different places. The only way to really get rid of that fat is LIPOSUCTION!"

What the f? Ive seen plenty of people on here get rid of tummy and belly fat with out it. Ugh the is so aggervating! Im not going to lie, I thought for a long time that would be the only way but this is much, much better!

Thank you for listening.:smile:

what a ****! that is so unprofessional. i dont care if he is promoting his work, that is almost like a car salesman! or a lawyer! not to diss those professions, but doctors should discuss all possible options with you, you know, like cardio! and then if he wanted to promote his business he would remind his clients of the honest truth that it is hard, it takes time, and a lot of effort!

ugh! thanks for posting this, reminds me not to trust authority haha
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    From what I understand, there are a lot of factors that go into where you store fat including genetics and personal medical history so it may not be possible for everyone to get a completely flat stomach without "help". However, his answer was completely irresponsible because he didn't explain any of the contributing factors such as overall body fat and that he really couldn't give a definitive answer without know the individuals history, what exercises they are doing, and so one. By giving a flat out "have liposuction" answer he makes it seem as though NO ONE can get "the perfect stomach" without it. :angry:

It really unethical and misleading!!

i thought the exact same thing as you before i even read what you said

great minds!
  • Jnd921
    Jnd921 Posts: 18
    I think it is easy to interpret a short answer many different ways. People in his profession need to be especially careful with the way they choose their words so as not to sway people in the wrong drection.

I for one feel you can lose it with the proper exercise and diet but I am not totally ruling out the plastic surgery idea in the future. I just don't think it should be used as an easy way out. I have had a c-section and just plain have always tended to carry my extra weight in the tummy. So I am trying to lose the weight the old fashioned way but if at the end there is still some unsightly "flab" in that area then consultation, here I come!
This discussion has been closed.