800 Calorie Diet Recommended by Doctor

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    If you're not confident in your doctors recommendation then I would get a second opinion.

Since none of us has access to your medical files and history, we can neither confirm nor dispute your doctor's advice. As the above poster said, if you are uncomfortable with it, seek a second opinion. You might also want to express your concern and ask your doctor to refer you to a registered dietician.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    If I dr is telling you is.. it might be okay. Go get a 2nd opinion from another Dr.
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    Drs are knowledgeable, but not in nutrition. You, especially bc of the thyroid issues, should go see a Registered Dietitian. Someone whos actual degree is in Health and nutrition.

This! I had talked to my doctor about wanting to lose weight but I knew that my doctor probably wasn't the best person to take advice from especially when it didn't seem that she really knew what she was talking about when it came to nutrition. I had asked for a referral to see a Registered Dietitian who was very upfront with me in telling me that she really specializes for those with diabetes. But she gave me a lot of information that I still use to this day. I'd call it successful. Oh yeah and she told me to eat at or above 1200 calories and recommended that I lose weight slowly. (I really ought to send her a Thank You card.) :smile:
  • jacque1129
    jacque1129 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    if you got your 800 calories from filling vegetables and fruits you could stay full all day long. but like everyone else said i'd would talk to a dietician.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Get a second
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Wow, unless you are like 4 feet tall this does not seem right to me. This site will not put you any lower than 1200. Like I want to lose 2 lbs per week and to do so I need much less than 1200 but it keeps me at 1200 because anything else is considered dangerous. Maybe your doc knows what he is doing, I am not doctor. But I would personally do 1200 and an hour of exercise. Maybe you could do 30 minutes walking and another 30 higher intensity aerobics or something. I think anyone will lose weight on 1200 but maybe there is some medical reason due to your thyroid. You can always ask him.
  • kellyr730
    kellyr730 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have an underactive thyroid also and the main thing that does is slow down every sysytem in your body, especially your metabolism - more so than "normal" people. I don't think 800 calories is too low and he probably knows what he's talking about because since your thyroid is making your metabolism so slow, you may not burn as many calories a day resting as MFP calculates. So if you are trying to lose weight, that may be what it takes to see a difference.

However, I hope this is just temporary and he prescribed you a thyroid medication. I have been on it for about 5 years now and when I first started, it took a month or so but soon it was amazing how different and energetic I felt. After that medication kicks in and starts regulating your thyroid hormone, you should burn more and not have to be at 800. THAT IS JUST FROM MY EXPERIENCE THOUGH- I AM NOT A DOCTOR!! :) just to clarify ;-)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but I would say that if you are under his supervision and only walking, it's no biggie. I have done it before

A brisk walk can burn over 410 calories for someone weighing 170lbs. If you add that into the equation i would say that 800 is way to low.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Did he mention eating exercise calories?
    He said walk 1 hour a day so sounds like your inactive?

I ate 1200 a day and I felt ill but had lots more to lose than you Id recommend eating your BMR calories and upping exercise as youve thyroid problems which my mum has you will lose slower if its under active,my mum did weightwatchers and walked wqith once a week dancing and lost 0.5-1lbs a week she lost 50lbs in a year x
  • AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am currently under the care of my primary care physician, a dietitian, and my ob/gyn for my weight loss, diabetes and thyroid issues. I am also having some issues with my digestive system. All three of them have agreed for me to stay around 700 to 900 for now and not to go above 1400 and if I go above 1000 to exercise that day....as long at I am providing nutrition to my body.

With that being said, I have not once felt weak or malnourished. I just HAVE to make sure I am eating nutrients that supply my body with what it needs. I also take vitamins. Are there days where I eat 1500 calories? Yep...few and far between, but they are there.

I think it is important to speak with a dietitian. They can help you customize a plan for YOU. If it were just my doctors saying it, I would have believed them but not fully. My dietitian is trained, educated and specializes in this stuff.
  • bazaar1982
    bazaar1982 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue - I had my thyroid tested and the doc knocked down my cals to 800 - 900 a day. He said it could sometimes trigger a lazy thyroid, and if not it would help me until the thyroxin kicked in. It did work for a while the I gave up - turns out it was a issue with my pituitary gland, not the thyroid directly anyway so te final advice from the doc was a helpful 'eat less than you burn' :mad:
  • j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    how is it possible to get the proper nutrition you need at such a low intake. i'm feeling faint just reading your post !! i probably did that low years ago but just out of stupidity. you are right to second guess their plan for you. I think the way you are going about it is great. doing what feels good to you. see what an r.d. says to make your weightloss plan more specific to your needs.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Having an underactive thyroid can reduce your BMR by roughly 30%. Obviously it depends on the degree of your particular thyroid issues, so 30% is a really rough on-the-order-of estimate, but 800 does not seem unrealistic to me. I would get a second opinion and talk to an endocrinologist, but I would trust a doctor who knows your medical history over MFP which is designed for the general population without medical issues. Doctors aren't always the best source of information on nutrition for weight loss, but you're looking at a diet related to a medical issue, not just weight loss.
  • csjank
    csjank Posts: 1
    Options
    That's rediculous. If your thyroid is low, ask him to put you on thyroid hormone. Starving yourself of nutrients from food will not improve your thyroid function, nor is it sustainable. I went through the same thing with my doctor recently. After a month, my hair was falling out, I was tired, shaky and irritable, and I didn't lose an ounce. Finally, I went to a doctor who specializes in hormone replacement therapy. He put me on a low does of thyroid and told me to stop starving myself. While my weightloss is slow, I feel WAY better and am able to exercise.
  • Susan923
    Susan923 Posts: 61
    Options
    Drs are knowledgeable, but not in nutrition. You, especially bc of the thyroid issues, should go see a Registered Dietitian. Someone whos actual degree is in Health and nutrition.

this is very very true. doctors have almost no education in nurtrition. BUT I would try it. just not for a long period of time.

I am sorry to disagree but Please do not eat an 800 calorie diet ever!! You may lose weight but as soon as you eat anything over that your body will store it and I am sure you don't want to gain your weight back. Eat more, eat clean and you will suceed forever!
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options

I agree. A dietitian is going to be the most help to you.

I agree. Get copies of your lab results and see a dietitian.
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    get another opinion.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    First of all, I would get a second opinion and second of all, I would see a nutritionist. 800 calories/day sounds extremely low to me. My body can't function on anything lower than 1300 calories/day. I will get weak and shake just like you. Listen to your body but I would speak to a nutritionist. JMO.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    Let's see..doctor with your specific information and condition in mind, with 12 years of education and training, plus whatever more years of experience since then...or all the strangers on the Internet with their degree in Google.

Yea, I'd ignore my doctor too.
  • rmrpender
    rmrpender Posts: 16
    Options
    Consult an endocrinologist. If the doctor you are seeing is an endocrinologist, get a second opinion.