Peanut Butter and Jelly...

Options
SamiRose
SamiRose Posts: 118 Member
Hey everyone!
I need some opinions here!! I often make Peanut butter and Jelly Sandwich's a couple times a week for either dinner or Lunch. I ALWAYS use whole wheat bread, and ALWAYS use all natural peanut butter. However, my issue lies withing the jelly or Jam. My favorite flavor is Raspberry. Is there one brand, or Jelly Vs Jam, or "flavor" that works best? Lately I have been using Grape Jelly. Is Jelly or Jam better?

I know this is an odd question, but I eat these a lot. Mostly since I'm a broke College kid, and PB&J's are friendly to the tight budget that I have. I just want to make the most healthy one I can.

Thanks!

Replies

• coolviolet73
    Options
    You know, I love PB&J too. But it's not easy to find a version of the sandwich that's waistline friendly, due to all of those carbs and sugars. As far as jam/jelly goes, how about going with an all-fruit version, like Polaner? They make a sugar free that's sweetened with, I think, Splenda that's really good with lots of fruit in it. And it comes in a bunch of different fruit flavors. Personally, I'm a raspberry Polaner and chunky PB lover. :-) Good luck on your search for the right jam/jelly!

Oh, btw, have you tried Better 'n Peanut Butter? It's made with peanuts but is much better for you. Most grocery stores carry it in the organic/whole foods section.
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    PB&J is the bestest sandwich in the world :drinker: ....so I'm told :smokin:
  • kellch
    Options
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Go for the allfruit spread instead of *jelly*. Most jellys have high fructose corn syrup in them. Polaner makes a good one and Kroger brand makes a Simply Fruit spread that is good also.

I love PB & J... whole grain bread, natural PB, and allfruit... yum! :bigsmile:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I like to make little snacky sandwiches, Cashew butter on a slice of French Bread. Mmmmmm,,,

It's not better than "Saturday night, let's take our time and pay attention and where's the whipped cream" sex,,, but it's probably about as good as "Wednesday night, let's knock out a quicky and get some sleep" sex. :flowerforyou: :devil: :love: :noway:

I run the cheapie broken-pieces cashews thru the food processor with just a little EVOO. Not really much more expensive than PB. Ok, a little, but worth it.
  • FINALLY4ME
    FINALLY4ME Posts: 643
    Options
    I like to make little snacky sandwiches, Cashew butter on a slice of French Bread. Mmmmmm,,,

It's not better than "Saturday night, let's take our time and pay attention and where's the whipped cream" sex,,, but it's probably about as good as "Wednesday night, let's knock out a quicky and get some sleep" sex. :flowerforyou: :devil: :love: :noway:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • kellch
    Options
    "Wednesday night, let's knock out a quicky and get some sleep" sex. :flowerforyou: :devil: :love: :noway:

There's nothing wrong with that :bigsmile: :drinker:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SamiRose
    Options
    thanks!! Like you and a few other said, I'll give the all-fruit thing a try.
  • SamiRose
    Options
    Go for the allfruit spread instead of *jelly*. Most jellys have high fructose corn syrup in them. Polaner makes a good one and Kroger brand makes a Simply Fruit spread that is good also.

I love PB & J... whole grain bread, natural PB, and allfruit... yum! :bigsmile:

I knew the High Fructose Corn Syrup thing...thats what worried me the most. I'm really really trying to avoid that at all costs. But I just can't dump my PB&J!! I've never bought Polaner before, so thats on my shopping list now! Thanks!
  • Celestia
    Celestia Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Polaner! They make a great fruit jam/jelly that is low cal and low fat and has no added sugar or HFCS!
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    for jelly I get the sugar free smuckers

I loveeeeeeee pb n j :smile: