The dreaded BMR

Options
OK, I have gotten myself massive confused! I am 46, 5'6", 204 (down from 220) I have a desk job, work out with a trainer 1 hour 2x a week and TRY to get 2 30 min cardio sessions in myself.

I have calculated my BMR as 1636. I have subscribed to several online diet/fit apps that suggest a calorie intake of anywhere between 1380(MFP) to 1535.

Since my weight loss has stalled I fear I've messed up math or just not understanding what to do with it.

Thanks in advance for advice

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Have you used a BMR calculation with %fat in it, like the one at fat2fitradio. Your BMR may be 1500, or less. We don't know.

Let's say it's 1500, so you'll use 1800 sitting about. So eating 1400 would give you a deficit of 400. Exercising increases the deficit a bit.

How much are you eating now ?
  • siriusalien
    siriusalien Posts: 207
    Options
    Well, I had been eating 1535 following the calculations provided by another weight loss sight. But, I'm stalled at 204. I started looking afresh when my trainer recomended I was WAY over eating and should be at 1250...
  • yarwell
    Options
    Well, I had been eating 1535 following the calculations provided by another weight loss sight. But, I'm stalled at 204. I started looking afresh when my trainer recomended I was WAY over eating and should be at 1250...
    Ultimately if you don't lose weight for 4 weeks you must have hit an equilibrium and eating maintenance.
  • siriusalien
    Options
    OK went to the calculator you suggested: 1636 is BMR with a suggested Calorie 1760
    What do I make of that.
    Total body fat is 41.5 with a BMI 32.3
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I think your trainer is on crack if they think you should only be eating 1200 per day. That's way too low if you're active. I'd say go with the calories that Fat2FitRadio suggests. My guess is you aren't eating enough. OR, you're not eating the right kind of foods. I stalled out about a month ago, then started eating what Fat2FitRadio suggested and focusing on eating more cleanly and the weight has been coming off again.
  • giroux0518
    giroux0518 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You may need to change your exercise routine. Your body can become accustomed to a routine and make it less effective. Try doing something you haven't done before like interval training, boxing, circuits, etc... You're trainer may even have a preferred "shock" routine.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    In general you don't really want a calorie goal that's lower than your BMR.
    Based on your activity level, in general, your TDEE is about 2200 calories. To lose weight at your current activity level at reasonable rate, you want to consume on average between 1800-1900 calories.

But really, anything above your BMR and less than your TDEE will eventually get you to your goal.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    What are you netting each day? Netting your BMR *should* result in weight loss if the calculations are correct. A few ideas...

Possibly underestimating calories eaten.
    Over estimating calories burned.
    Eating too low for too long and needing to do a reset.
    Metabolic condition making your BMR lower than the average given.
    Some people (like me) are more affected by what we eat than how much.

Just some thoughts.
  • siriusalien
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I try to overestimate the calories I eat and use my HRM to calculate what I burn. MFP has me at 1400 so that is what I eat. I do eat back my burned work out calories because I'm usually starving after that
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I try to overestimate the calories I eat and use my HRM to calculate what I burn. MFP has me at 1400 so that is what I eat. I do eat back my burned work out calories because I'm usually starving after that

Just for reference. I am 5'10", 203, BF 21.4% and I am LOSING eating 2500 calories a day. I lift heavy 3 days a week and do minimal cardio,
  • Chrissy_Michelle
    Chrissy_Michelle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    So many people eat too little calories on MFP and I was one of those for so long and felt ravishingly hungry and would derail all my efforts because of it. I was cranky and just wanted to EAT. I checked out fit2radio myself about a week ago and according to it, I was eating way to low. I increased my cals and lost over 2lbs in a week and I am not starving. I have a hard time eating all my cals especially on my heavy workout days but I do try and I don't eat back all of my exercise cals, only some. It seems to be working for me. Good luck!!
  • siriusalien
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. major differences between you and I is 1) While I'm told I'm strong for a chick, I don't think I'm lifting heavy 2) While it may not be scientificaly supported I do believe men and women have different metabolisms. Men plainly have more lean muscle mass
  • yarwell
    Options
    OK went to the calculator you suggested: 1636 is BMR with a suggested Calorie 1760
    What do I make of that.
    Total body fat is 41.5 with a BMI 32.3
    The fat2fit approach, different to that here, is to eat at the maintenance calories for the weight you want to be. This will be a deficit to your current energy expenditure, hence you lose. That's the theory. They also say you can subtract 100-300 calories to speed things up a bit.

So following their philosophy you would eat 1760, or down to 1460 to speed it up. Which is unfortunately about where you are already !

Did you make a note of the Katch-McArdle BMR on http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ - it maight be 100 less than the ones that don't account for body fat.
  • siriusalien
    Options
    Yarwell, Yes i did. And you are correct, I'm there right now- so need another plan
  • yarwell
    Options
    Yarwell, Yes i did. And you are correct, I'm there right now- so need another plan
    Personally, if I was not losing at 1400 for a prolonged period then I would drop to 1000 calories a day. In fact I did this myself. I would lay off any vigorous exercise too, so you know where you are.

This will of course trigger the MFP immune system and the compulsive eaters will appear with their mythology of "killing your metabolism" "eating below your BMR" "calories you would be fed in a coma" "1200 is the minimum" and a 25 ft pile of bovine scatology.

If 1400 is your equilibrium, which is what the prolonged stall suggests, then you have to try something and logic would favour eating less as if you were to eat more your metabolism would have to increase by considerably more than the extra food you ate, and I've seen nothing to suggest that will happen.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    OK, I have gotten myself massive confused! I am 46, 5'6", 204 (down from 220) I have a desk job, work out with a trainer 1 hour 2x a week and TRY to get 2 30 min cardio sessions in myself.

I have calculated my BMR as 1636. I have subscribed to several online diet/fit apps that suggest a calorie intake of anywhere between 1380(MFP) to 1535.

Since my weight loss has stalled I fear I've messed up math or just not understanding what to do with it.

Thanks in advance for advice

I would calcluate you at lightly active, so your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) including your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is 2250.05 calories per day. In order to lose 1 lb per week, you would cut 3500 calories which would be 500 per day. If you want to lose 1.5 per week, cut 750 per day. That puts you anywhere from 1500-1750 per day without eating back your excercise calories (since your activity is already accounted for).

Another way to do this is to go on the low end and say sedentary, which puts your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) including your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is 1963.68 calories per day. That means days that you do not work out, you eat between 1213-1463 calories, and days you work out, eat more (I tend to not eat them all, just about half).

Anyway, I hope this helps you understand a little better!
  • siriusalien
    Options
    Personally, if I was not losing at 1400 for a prolonged period then I would drop to 1000 calories a day. In fact I did this myself. I would lay off any vigorous exercise too, so you know where you are.

Yes, this was my gut (excuse the pun) instinct. It is however problematic laying off the vigorous exercise as I am paying for a trainer, so there or not, the $$ goes out.
    How long do you THINK I'ld have to drop this low and not exert?
  • siriusalien
    Options
    Another way to do this is to go on the low end and say sedentary

Yes, It is the sedentary thing that will be an issue. Having paid for a trainer at the gym- you pay per contract weather your there or not. He maybe understanding if there was a set time for the experiment.
    AND lets keep in mind this is the guy who wanted me eating 1250 AND working out
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Yes, this was my gut (excuse the pun) instinct. It is however problematic laying off the vigorous exercise as I am paying for a trainer, so there or not, the $$ goes out.
    How long do you THINK I'ld have to drop this low and not exert?

The other alternative which is far healthier and more sustaniable than dropping your calories each time you stall so you end up malnourished, is to have a diet break to reset your metabolism. Eat at what your maintenance should be for 4 weeks and then restart with a goal of a 500 calorie deficit. There is no way you should need to go so low as to run the risk of not eating enough to get your nutrients.

ETA: you may gain a few pounds at first as your body gets 'readjusted' but this will be temporary when you get back to a deficit.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Another way to do this is to go on the low end and say sedentary

Yes, It is the sedentary thing that will be an issue. Having paid for a trainer at the gym- you pay per contract weather your there or not. He maybe understanding if there was a set time for the experiment.
    AND lets keep in mind this is the guy who wanted me eating 1250 AND working out

Trainers have pretty much no training in nutrition and some are absolutely terrible at giving out nutrition advice (not all, but some).

ETA: how long has your weight loss stalled for (sorry - forgot to ask before)