Strategies for Eating More Slowly

Options
Using baby spoons/toddler forks? Any more suggestions besides counting chews, drinking water between bites, or leaving time between bites?

Replies

• losingthehealthyway
    Options
    What I do is have 1-2 glasses of water about 15 minutes before I eat, which keeps me from eating more out of thirst. Once my plate is clean I have another glass of water and wait 10-15 minutes. If I'm still hungry, I have seconds. I also eat with chopsticks a lot of the time. Supposedly they make you eat slower. I don't know if that's true, I just like Asian food.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Talk! If I'm contributing to a coversation, I naturally eat much, much more slowly.
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have two little kids, and they are really slow to get teeth, so I'm still cutting up food for my 13 month-old. I've discovered a cheese stick can last 5 minutes if I cut it into quarters (the long way), and then mince the length. you do have to eat one piece at a time.... and remember to chew.
  • rengb6
    rengb6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am right handed and eat with my left hand. It can be frustrating but it slows me down A LOT. Also, try having a conversation with someone while you eat!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Taking smaller portions at a time helps. It also helps prevent "clean plate syndrome" where you grabbed far more than you should be eating and feel obligated to finish it.
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I put a tennis ball in my dish with my kibble.

Seriously, though, I find I eat far more slowly when my food is in chunks (whole chicken breasts, potatoes, big broccoli spears, large manicotti) than when it is "bite size". Having to cut bite size pieces (and making sure that they are actually small,) really helps me slow down and focus.
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    I try and pick snacks that I can suck on... like popcorn or dry puffins cereal. Even my protein bars... i'll take a smallish bite, and try not to chew it... just enjoy the flavor.

might not be for everyone but its been helping me to slow down a little bit on the snacks (which are my downfall).
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Talk! If I'm contributing to a coversation, I naturally eat much, much more slowly.

It's rude to talk with your mouth full!