How do you eat 6 meals a day with 1500 calories/day?

Options
2»

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'7" 138lb female and I eat about 1900-2100 calories a day over three meals and sometimes a small snack. So I may be biased.

If you are eating only 1500 calories a day, and you have decided that you MUST eat 5-6 meals, then yes you're going to be eating "snacks" rather than "meals". If this doesn't sound very motivating to you, then don't do it.

There are a zillion different "tips and tricks" for weight loss, if weight loss were that complicated, then the only people losing weight would be the ones who eat like that.
  • next99nights
    Options
    You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the great ideas. I guess I was just stuck on the "meals" part. I just have to make some of them snacks and call it a day. Thanks again.
  • sehrler
    sehrler Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do it at between 1200-1400 a day.
    Typical day:
    Breakfast - fruit (raspberries, blueberries, cherries, blackberries) and Greek yogurt. (about 210 cals) plus zero cals for my vitamins.

morning snack - EAS protein shake (17g protein, 110 calories, sugar free and 3g fat)

Lunch - either grilled chicken and salad or a turkey/lettuce/tomato sandwich (either on half a kaiser roll, a wrap or a 100 cal Fold It flatbread, no dressing or mayo) approx 250 cals

afternoon snack - usually 2 tbsp of peanut butter on a rice cake 215 cals (or if I'm out and about, a granola bar or protein bar - 190 cals)

dinner - varies, usually grilled chicken and veggies and maybe a small amt of starch (rice or bread), or pasta/meat sauce, or steak/veggies...or pizza when I want. I don't kill myself sticking to one crazy thing. Dinner is usually between 400-600 cals max.

if I am low on cals I will have a small snack at night, usually a granola bar or something.

I am rarely starving hungry with this type of food and schedule. I try to get at least 100g protein a day.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    That whole you must eat 6 meals a day to keep metabolism going is bull ****... Do a quick google search or a forum search.. and you'll see that it's def. not true.

I never ate 6 meals a day(mainly 3 meals, and maybe an afternoon snack) and I lost weight just fine. I was also eating around 1500-1600 calories per day.

If you want to rev metabolism then go lift some weights.. the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism will be.

Because I eat 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks a day, I am NEVER hungry. I don't know if it is or is not boosting my metabolism but I am never hungry and that's all I care about (drinking water helps me not be "hungry" too)

It's doable if you make the right choices. If you don't, that can be a LOT of food and a LOT of calories.
  • britaut2
    britaut2 Posts: 19
    Options
    You spread your calories out. You don't have to have 6 meals at 250 calories. I eat 3 meals plus snacks. I may have a few calories left over sometimes, but not many. Lunch maybe my biggest meal. After working out, I am not hungry so, I might eat a bowl of Special K cereal and a snack.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I don't do equal-size meals, either. 300, 400, 500 for breakfast, lunch, dinner, that is 1200, then 2 snacks under 200 each and you are there.
    Some people will tell you that it doesn't matter if you eat your 1500 calories in 6 meals or one meal and that might be technically true, but some people handle the many small meals better because it can keep bloog sugar stable, reduce cravings and make you feel less deprived, so it's easier to stick with it.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Don't eat six meals. Three meals with some snacks thrown in between works better and requires less prep time.
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary - it's public. I feel like I'm eating all day long and I'm not starving myself. I definitely watch my quantities and I try to have better quality all the time. I'm probably 80% "good". I excercise nearly every day so sometimes I'm more than 1500 calories. My goal is to find the MAXIMUM amount of food I can consume whilst still losing weight. What I've lost has come off very slowly, but I'd rather it creep off than on. Good luck to you.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    3 meals 2 snacks... you are more than welcome to look at my diary as well...
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    No reason to eat 6 meals a day if you don't want to. I only eat 1 or 2 big meals a day and 1 or 2 snacks usually within an 8 hour window. I feel more satisfied that way. It certainly hasn't hurt my metabolism.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    My daily goal 1528 and I eat 3 big meals and between 2-3 snacks... and sometimes my snacks are huge especially afternoon one because thats when i eat most of my calories.

I think my diary is public so take a look!
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Well 6 of those meals are more or less snacks. just a snack to get you to the 3 main meals. you also are allowed to credit your calories burned in exercise for additional calories allowed. I ran today for 1 hr. and thatcredited me with 550 calories burned, so I could deduct that from my calories consumed. I don't because they allow me 1750 calories here and I only consume about 1200 to 1600. I want to lose an additional 20 lbs.

Basil

Let me know how you do!!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I've been researching weightloss tips and advice on the internet, and keep hearing that I need to eat 6 meals a day to keep my metabolism working all day, and maxmize my weightloss. According the MFP, I'm supposed to eat 1500 calories/day to meet my weightloss goal. Basically that means each one of my meals should be about 250 calories. That's more like a snack, not a meal, if you ask me. So my questions is, how do I eat 6 meals and stay under 1500 calories? How are you folks doing this?

You don't.. Simple as that. It's not needed.